Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

foamie profile out of artboard?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

foamie profile out of artboard?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 02:59 AM
Beeza
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foamie profile out of artboard?

Hi Guys
Without yet having a foam cutter, I'm thinking about making a profile plane out of Artboard, sold in 1/4" thick sheets, about 2 ft square. Has anyone used this stuff before? Art/craft stores sell it, about $2 a sheet.

Beez
Old 02-05-2004, 03:32 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: foamie profile out of artboard?

very heavy and not very ridgid

a much better choice is to find bare foam in the thickness you want and cover both sides (at the same time!!) with thinned wood glue and wet paper....much lighter and stiffer.

dave
Old 02-05-2004, 08:36 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The electric 3D profile bunch is using "fan-fold" foam with C/fiber strips to stiffen it. Fan-fold is the 1/4" extruded foam stuff that goes under vinyl siding and is sold in a stack that unfolds like the old pin-drive computer printer paper. Cheap and pretty good stuff. I used 6mm Depron to build my 1/2A profile foamy. It's more expensive but straighter and a little stiffer.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:32 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zag, that stuff is more than stiff enough. A fellow in my club has been making lots of scale models using EXCLUSIVELY this foam board. They are all larger models, 25 to 40 size, but he just paints the stuff after cutting an folding. They look awesome! He was a set designer/builder for Canadian TV and he said they used a lot of it in his job and thats where he got into using it for model airplanes.

I say, give it a try and what are you going to lose?? Not to much. If it works then share the info here

AJC