Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

How many people would buy a 1"-1 1/4" spinner?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

How many people would buy a 1"-1 1/4" spinner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many people would buy a 1"-1 1/4" spinner?

OK everyone I am sick of hearing about the need for small...1" to 1 1/4" spinners for us 1/2a guys. How many people would buy them.... how many would you buy and what would you be willing to pay for then? I'm talking about a nice 2 piece aluminum spinner just like the big boys. Of course you could also get them anodized in your choice of color

Take care,
Tim

www.hypercoloranodizing.com
Old 02-12-2004, 09:13 PM
smallrc

Default RE: How many people would buy a 1"-1 1/4" spinner?

Absolutely! Not sure what a fair price would be, but would love to
have a couple of them if they do materialize..

Kenny
Old 02-12-2004, 10:19 PM
XJet
Banned

Are you going to spin them up or turn them?

I should give it a try on the little metal spinning lathe I built: http://aardvark.co.nz/pjet/spinning1.shtml
Old 02-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Hello,
Yes, I would be interested, price is a hard one to guess as I am unsure of the work involved. I am willing to consider the time involved, would like it in 1 1/4" size. Let me know!
Remby
Old 02-12-2004, 11:19 PM
jessiej

I am sadly lacking in metal working skills so can't estimate cost, but if not exorbitant I would buy a couple of 1".

Jess
Old 02-12-2004, 11:52 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, I'd buy a few 1"or 1 1/4" in a heartbeat.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:56 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, I'm not lacking in my metal working skills and I know that with a few jigs you can turn them in a decent amount of time. But then the JIGS take time to make as well. And this is compounded by the fact that 1 or 1 1/4 inchers must have the backplate type of construction or a bent bolt or the missalingment of the spinner sitting on the front of the prop hub will cause them to run out of true. This means extra parts and extra work. You'd basically have to copy the old Perfect style spinners. That means a backplate, the spinner cone and the pointy end nut as well as a stud and nut for the prop retention.

Tim, I KNOW how much time in your own shop counts but then I'm a cheap bugger too. For clean machined and polishing ready 1 or 1 1/4 inch spinners I'd be willing to pop for about $15 US. This is based on the fact that I know it's probably worth more than that for your time and materials but for myself at least I have to factor in the Canadian to US exchange. That makes it a $22 spinner for me. A luxury that I would probably pop for once for each size but I would hoard it and transfer it lovingly from model to model....

Or I'll make my own......
Old 02-13-2004, 08:21 AM
Jeff Leavitt

Tim,

Bruce pretty much has it right. And, I'd be willing to buy a couple at the $15. dollar mark. If you look at the MPJet on the japanese site, you'll also notice that the prop cut outs are cut big for the electric props and wouldn't look too good with our much smaller props.

The best and closest thing I have seen to workable is on a CS .049 that I have that come from the factory with the spinner, I think it's nicely done and would serve as a good model to start from so you wouldn't have to start from scratch. I'll send you the whole set up on loan of course to use for a model. Rgds, Jeff

P.S. I think there are quite a few racers and combat guy's that would buy a couple as well
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47678.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	100393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63098.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	100394  
Old 02-13-2004, 08:49 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim,

I think you have a good idea and I would certainly pop for a couple. Just my .02...

Deadstik [8D]

Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 02-13-2004, 10:26 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Possibly, if they were in some scale shapes such as mustang, me-109e, etc.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:23 PM
tashley
My Feedback: (9)

I would pay fifteen dollars for one and a couple of bucks extra for the correct adapter. I don't know why one of the spinner makers has not picked up on the need for 1" and 1 1/4" spinners. I do a lot of bigger scale stuff too, but I always have had a soft spot in my heart for 1/2A and I'll always be building one.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:41 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what it takes to make one of these things... and $15 is killing the poor guy!

Tim, I think there are a lot easier ways to make money... unless of course you have a cnc lathe you arent telling us about!

AJC
Old 02-13-2004, 06:01 PM
tashley

I just cut and pasted this thread to an e-mail and sent it to the guys at Tru-Turn. We'll see if it does any good. I'll follow up on it. Maybe after this post I'll do the same to Dave Brown.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:04 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim, I don't have a need now for a spinner of this size but would like to have a few of the little stock spinner tapered washers (what ever you call them) that come on the Tee Dee series. Especially the Tee Dee .020. Makes it a bit easier to crank the Pee Wee .020 with the electric starter when needed.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Old 02-13-2004, 09:30 PM
Jeff Leavitt

ORIGINAL: ajcoholic

I know what it takes to make one of these things... and $15 is killing the poor guy!

Tim, I think there are a lot easier ways to make money... unless of course you have a cnc lathe you arent telling us about!

AJC
AJ,

This post seems way out of character for you, your not your usual positive up beat self.
You critisize the $15.00 price but offer nothing as to your opinion on what would be acceptable. FYI the $15. came about as that is the selling price for the MPJ electric spinner on the Japanese web site refrenced in a post above. Now, granted that may not be enough money for Tim but I'm sure Tim can speak for himself and if that's not acceptable to him fine, just let us know what the price is. Tim's offer to get involved with this project didn't appear to be motivated by making money, just solving a problem for a few fellow 1/2a'ers. Your post implies that the people posting above are taking unfair advantage of Tim and he should find a easier way to make money. Your out of line here AJ. Rgds, Jeff
Old 02-13-2004, 09:47 PM
ajcoholic

Come on... you should know me better than that - I didnt mean to step on anyone's toes...

I just meant that I personally wouldnt spend the hour or so it takes to make a spinner on a hand fed lathe, for $15, other than for a friend or myself. Certainly not for $15...

Its a lot of work, if you have never made one before, a lot more than one may think. I was surprised last year when I did one, and I was using my new digital readouts to track a series of preplotted points.

Sorry if you took my post the wrong way...[]

(just for your information, I am in the process of trying to set up some itmes I make for production, and to try and make a serious go at small runs of items for sale... It is a whole different game, when you are thinking to make 10, 20 or 50 of the same thing... all of a sudden you have a lot of things to factor in that making a one or two of dont.. maybe its because of the past few weeks and my frame of mind I am looking at this differently, from a standpoint of a small manufacturer rather than a hobbiest..)

Once again, I REALLY didnt mean anything negative.

AJC
Old 02-13-2004, 09:50 PM
ajcoholic

Your out of line here AJ.

Jeff, am I not entitled to my opinions just like everyone else here? In or out of line, we dont allways agree but I have never said anyone else was "out of line" just becasue their opinions didnt agree with mine.

I have done hours upon hours of free work and sent a lot of dollars in free parts to a lot of you guys, my friends here on RCU and many I dont know. I dont think I should be chastised for having ONE small opinion that went against the grain....

AJC
Old 02-13-2004, 09:52 PM
tashley

WE knew that AJ.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:29 PM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

AJ
You don't have anything to apologize for. Without production equipment and tooling this could be an expensive job. Any thing one-of-a-kind made by a skilled tradesman is expensive. The only exception is the tradesman doing it for himself and doesn't count the time.
We live in an mass production society. Our estimations of cost are based on multimillion dollar factories churning out countless numbers of identical products. If you picture a ball bearing off the shelf costs pennies but if made to a custom size so it was one of a kind it would cost hundreds of dollars. That is the problem with US Military spending and a custom made $5000. hammer.
I work around CNC equipment every day. I might be able to access some machine time. Supplying the public is a different thing.
For a manufacturer such as Fox, RJL, DuBro, SpinRite $15 may be right. Fox has turned spinner nuts almost that size for Toledo for the past several years. They sell them at cost to draw in the public. We might talk to them there.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:35 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Come on now guys chill out now I do not have the equipment to make these myself. Like all of us I do know "people". I was just trying to get a feel for the market for goodness sake.!!! I figure this forum is one small corner of the RC world and what better place to ask about a product first!

Later,
Tim
HyperColor Anodizing
www.hypercoloranodizing.com
Old 02-14-2004, 11:09 AM
faif2d

I think that there is a very good totally untapped market out there. I would take a few to start and then there is a new one after every crash.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:30 AM
tashley

I just ordered a 30mm, 1.2", spinner for electrics from Air Craft in Japan made by MP Jet for fourteen bucks plus two-fifty shipping! I will have to turn a backing plate bushing and make an adapter nut out of 5/16" aluminum hex stock to get it to work, but the spinner looks quality so I think it will be worth it. Since I placed the order I found out that MP Jet also makes one for glow motors which looks the same but it comes with a 4mm, Norvell size, adapter nut with it. We just need to find someone who will stock or at least order the one for glow motors. From what I can tell, the prop slots don't look all that huge. As soon as it comes in I'll let y'all know all the details. If anyone wants to see the item in question, do a google for the MP Jet website.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:06 AM
Jeff Leavitt

Tom,

If you know of a source for the glow version I'll gladly order it. Your solution sounds doable, buy a few parts, make a few parts, walla! you got a spinner... Probably going to have to make a screw in stud that will be fixed in the Norvel crank providing an externally threaded 3 or 4 mm stud for the prop nut and spinner nut. I'll be watching for your mods to see how you do it.... Rgds, Jeff
Old 02-19-2004, 07:13 AM
tashley

Jeff, I have a 30mm electric version on the way that I'll mod and I'll post the results here as soon as it's done. I have contacted Air Craft about the glow version and they told me that although they aren't interested in stocking them since they are all electric they will however order a few for me. When they come in I will announce their arrival so that anyone who wants one can have one at the price they cost me plus postage. We need to find a source in the USA who will order them from MP Jet for us. If anyone has an idea, step up.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:53 PM
DesignMan

ACE used to make small spinners, as did Airtronics. I wonder if any of that tooling is still around.

And, APC turns out new tooling at the drop of a hat, I wonder if they could be persuaded to play?

I would certainly pay $15 for a raw spinner and $20 for an anodized one. And I would guess my initial order would be for one of each size, and then average another one a year forever.

And, mind you, I own my own lathe...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.