Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Iron on fabric?

Old 02-14-2004, 02:44 AM
paulsen
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron on fabric?

Coverite has a iron on fabric witch requires balsarite adhesive.This adhesive comes in fabric and film formulas, does anyone know witch to use and if it's fabric could I get good results from the film formula?[sm=confused.gif]
Old 02-14-2004, 07:47 AM
Lynn S

Default RE: Iron on fabric?

This is the information given at www.coverite.com

"Available in Balsarite - Fabric for fabric and Micafilm, and Balsarite - Film for all film coverings including Black Baron, Solarfilm and MonoKote "

I have a can of Balsarite film formula, it says "not for Micafilm" on the can. I had not noticed that there were two formulas.

At first there was only one formula and you could use it with monokote and fabric. It looks like the same stuff to me. You could try it on a small piece of balsa and see how it works with the fabric.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:59 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fabric you are speaking of is WAY too heavy for small planes. It is much heavier than the standard iron on films, like Monokote, Ultracote and such.

Are you looking for a fabric or a shiny film result?

AJC
Old 02-14-2004, 08:00 AM
ajcoholic

PS I use the Balsarite "film" formula to adhere my Micafilm, Litespan and other fabric-style coverings without a problem... I dont know other than viscosity what the difference is..
Old 02-14-2004, 08:02 AM
ajcoholic

ORIGINAL: Lynn S

I have a can of Balsarite film formula, it says "not for Micafilm" on the can. I had not noticed that there were two formulas.

I covered my Lazy bee with mica film and the coverite for film... has been on for years (5 or 6) and flown a lot, never had any problems... I think the film stuff is thinned out a bit more, and the fabric is more gooey. I usually add toluene to thin out my balsarite anyhow as I still find it way too thick...

Just my opinions...

AJC
Old 02-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Lynn S

It looks and smells like Formica contact cement to me...just thinner....
also....."Warning do not use if you are, or suspect that you may be pregnant"
Old 02-14-2004, 08:55 PM
LouW

Fabric is not necessarily heavy. The picture is of my OS max 10 powered “Miss America”. It is covered with Sig Koverall with the fuselage finished in color dope, and the wings finished with clear dope to which has been added a little yellow dye. The covering is lighter than most iron-on plastic film. Such fabric is certainly suitable for most small R/C models and is incredibly tough and puncture resistant.

Another alternative is polyspan. I have a Norvel.061 powered R/C model covered with it and a Cox .02 powered free flight. Polyspan is about the same weight as medium silkspan but is heat shrinkable and completely waterproof. I sealed it with two light coats of dyed dope. It is much stronger than silkspan, and the Norvel powered craft has flown for three seasons and has yet to have a puncture in the covering.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11858.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	101002  
Old 02-14-2004, 09:45 PM
ajcoholic

No but super coverite is quite heavy... more so than a film, and way more than a lightweight "fabric" like micafilm.

AJC
Old 02-16-2004, 03:19 PM
paulsen
My Feedback: (2)

Im sorry for the confusion, what I ment to say was Iron on tissue .But its good to see that you guy's know about almost anything.coverite's product "coverlite" is what im using. In responce to AJC the finish im looking for is stick & tissue.[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 02-16-2004, 03:27 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The Balsarite will work well in that case. Or you could do what us free flighters have done for a few years now and use glue stick. You need to work a bit quicker with the glue stick or be prepared to add a bit of water to re-activate the glue but it works well and almost instantly.

If you use the glue stick be aware that you will want to let the glue "set" for about 3 to 4 hours before you water mist the tissue to shrink it. Doing it sooner can result in the mist re-activating the soft glue and letting the tissue slip and lift. Wait for 4 hours and it's not a problem as long as you don't soak it to the point the water is running off the tissue. just a light mist that results in the tissue going slack is plenty in any case.

It's good to see folks still using the traditional materials for a traditional look....