Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Any opinions on M P Jet .061 rc?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Any opinions on M P Jet .061 rc?

Old 03-07-2004, 12:37 AM
Jackster00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any opinions on M P Jet .061 rc?

I have a Herr Cloud Ranger with an .070 T.T. That engine won't pull a wet gumdrop out of a baby's mouth. I bought a used M P Jet & spare parts at my r/c club's annual swap meet today at such a good price I couldn't pass it up. Only thing is, I don't know anything about these MPJ's reputation. It does need a new glow button, so I'll have to order that. Just wondering about anyone's experiences with these little machines.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:42 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Any opinions on M P Jet .061 rc?

Power wise, it's as good as a Norvel .061 except it's a bit heavier. However, it has a very sophisticated, two needle throttle and throttles very well. It's genesis was as a diesel so everything about it is bullet proof. Massive crank and very strong conrod, which is bronze bushed at the crank end,,,, amazing sophistication for such a small engine. Plus, a proper, bolt on muffler. The only caution is to take care when cinching up the head bolts. Don't overtighten.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:30 AM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to barge in here with a self-serving question, but it is on topic mostly.,
I need a carb for an MPJet .061. Has anyone seen a carb at their LHS or has any leads on one?

carlsonengineimports.com has plenty of glow plugs in stock for it, but no carbs..
Thanks
clint
Old 03-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Jackster00

No, I haven't heard of one. Too bad I didn't know about your need yesterday, but you may come across one at a swap meet.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may have asked this before, what are the piston/cylinder materials?

J.M
Old 03-07-2004, 07:26 PM
ZAGNUT

ORIGINAL: mclintock

I need a carb for an MPJet .061. Has anyone seen a carb at their LHS or has any leads on one?

i was at my LHS two weeks ago and they still had carbs, liner/piston sets, rods and a bunch of other parts. will call them in the morning and check prices, will most likely be lower than what you'll find in the states.

Japanman, the liner/piston sets are lapped iron/steel. when they first started using them over here they didn't last long because people were trying to run them with 12% synthetic oil i guess that's the reason for the large stock at the LHS

dave
Old 03-07-2004, 07:32 PM
FrancisPerson

Jackster00,

I have a MP-Jet .061 r/c Diesel and it is a very nice engine. All of 1705493-Andy's comments are correct. It does take a long time to break in however. Mine powered a 28 oz biplane very nicely. Best props are 7x3 & 7x4 rev-up (if you can find one), Cox 7x3.5. and mas 7x4.

Francis
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96411.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	108875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83524.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	108876  
Old 03-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Rendegade

That's not fair Francis, that's a Diseasel version!
Old 03-07-2004, 09:32 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Speaking of barging in, I couldn't help noticing that Francis's plane looked familiar--a "Biplane!", right? I have one framed up and plan to install a PAW .06. How much does it weigh and how do you like it? Jim
Old 03-08-2004, 12:33 AM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Japanman, the liner/piston sets are lapped iron/steel. when they first started using them over here they didn't last long because people were trying to run them with 12% synthetic oil i guess that's the reason for the large stock at the LHS
What were they running on 12% synthetic??? 50cc scooter engines??

I ruined a perfectly good osmax 10 by running it on 14%synthetic as used by a rccar club... (the club fuel guru had told me that his specialsynthetic was so much better at protecting that they couldn`t use it for running in)As it ran I could hear the power drop off..and then it stopped, never to start again! It was a very powerful engine, too.
We all live and learn i guess.

Stefan
Old 03-08-2004, 05:40 AM
ZAGNUT

ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT

i was at my LHS two weeks ago and they still had carbs, liner/piston sets, rods and a bunch of other parts. will call them in the morning and check prices, will most likely be lower than what you'll find in the states.

dave
called this morning and got prices. i do not want to take any bussiness away from US distributors so please check with them first. my only intent with this is to help anyone in need of an impossible-to-find part to keep these little jewels running.

all prices are $US:

cylinder/piston....$20

muffler...............$12.50

bushed rod.........$8

head (NOT plug)..$6.50

needle................$4.50

needle housing....$4.50

screw set............$4.50

gasket set...........$2.50

C/L venturi.........$6

R/C carb............$19

the dude at the shop said the carb is the single needle version, i've only seen the two needle version so i don't know if he just made a mistake or if the carb really did come in two versions.

i also don't have a clue as to which version the needle and housing are for...they may even be for the C/L engine.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:16 AM
AndyW

Zagnut,

Those prices are pretty much inline with other sources.

Regarding the single needle throttle. Apparently, a lot of modelers were having trouble coping with two needles and Jets were getting a lot of returns so they thought the solution might be a single needle where the idle needle was replaced by a fixed component.

The trick to the Jets throttle is that the two needles are interactive. You have to adjust back and forth till you get the magic settings. Once set, the throttle works very well for a variety of engines as illustrated. It's been tried on Cox, Norvel, VA and several dieselized versions of them all. Works very well in most cases.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80165.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	109099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10665.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	109100