Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

cox glow head removal

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

cox glow head removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 05:46 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cox glow head removal

Dang! both dragonfly engines I bought have the head stuck to the cylinder, I did a search but couldnt find anything, I heated the cylinder had one wrench in the vise and BENT the other wrench with my hand! how do I get them apart, they are already boogered up, worried about damaging the cylinder now.......[]..Rog
Old 02-20-2004, 06:49 PM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cox glow head removal

Since the liners are steel and the heads are aluminum, just throw it in the freezer for an hour or two.

The aluminum will shrink more than the steel so (with luck) the head will be a loser fit and should unscrew more easily.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:55 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI ROG! I feel your pain! Do you think cooking in anti freeze would work? The big guns[field artillery barrels have to be changed on battle ships, and OIL OF WINTERGREEN is one of the most powerful[and pungent] solvents around. Like ABSORBINE JR foot linament, this stuff works. So does a soaking in HOPPEs' gun solvent. I have pliers with a round jaw that grab the cylinder[never go in to the exhaust port with a COX wrench], and pliers for the head. Some heat with a propane torch softens the varnish, gum, or what ever is gluing the parts together. I don't think my round jaw pliers have any chance of distorting the cylinder, but I don't have to squeeze that hard. When you are frantically changing a head in the middle of a 5 minute match[ that you are loosing], it's amazing how often the liner wants to come along for the ride! Good luck!
Old 02-20-2004, 08:15 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

round jaw pliers did it[&:] silly me..got em both thanks...Rog