Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

I've lost my mind and bought an electric!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

I've lost my mind and bought an electric!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I've lost my mind and bought an electric!

I recently bought a [link=http://*******.com/4nxi]Hobbico Fly Zone FF[/link] model and the [link=http://*******.com/4nxj]R/C conversion kit[/link].

I flew it for the first time yesterday and it didn't fly very well at all. The wing nearly folded during loops and due to one wing starting to weaken the plane wanted to turn more to the left throughout the flight.

I decided to make a new wing for it. I cut a Clark-Y foam core and sheeted it with 1/32" balsa just like the ones I am making for my .010 bipe. It has a little more wing area than the original and before covering weighed 2 grams less than the original. Covering brought it to 6 grams heavier than the original wing, but still not bad. I also added thread flying wires to the flimsy tail.

I took it out today and what a difference. It flies really nice and it really scoots along. It will loop from level flight and it will even fly inverted on a fresh charge. I had the throttle pegged most of the time and flights are in the 6 to 7 minute range.

Now, if I put a TD .020 in there I could drop a few ounces and really make it go!

Here's a picture of the wing mod.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43259.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	103954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27963.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	103955  
Old 02-23-2004, 12:20 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: I've lost my mind and bought an electric!

HI BIPE! You haven't lost your mind, all you need is an EXORCISM!
Old 02-23-2004, 12:46 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your ok Bipe, I started "back" in the hobby with a couple of park flyers that I could fly in the school yard 2 years ago,,couldnt wait for saturday mornings there....now, back into glow but thinking of getting another park flyer too, along with my car and helicopter...Rog
Old 02-23-2004, 01:54 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're not alone, BF, I've got three electrics now. I'm finishing up a Super Flea Twin(www.superflyrc.com), and am also working on my Formosa (seems the review is in the lastest mags, but I got mine before that.) I've been flying a RFFS-100 system for some time now.

Just remember, if you want near-glow performance and flight duration, think li-poly! Takes special chargers, and they're more expensive, but I wouldn't do it any other way....

phil in austin
Old 02-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Bipe Flyer

Just remember, if you want near-glow performance and flight duration, think li-poly! Takes special chargers, and they're more expensive, but I wouldn't do it any other way...
Very good advice Phil, but if I want glow performance I'll just use a glow engine.

I've looked into Li-Poly, but it's still too expensive for my liking. Especially since my Supernova can't charge them and I don't want to invest a whack of cash into yet another charger. I've seen brushless setups with Li-Poly that work very well. In fact my Cloud Buster now has that setup and is being flown by a friend of mine with great success. I was just trying to find an electric combination that worked without blowing a lot of cash. The plane and conversion kit only cost $48 plus an RX and 2 servos.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:04 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Yes, that "cheapness" is what got me onto the Super Flea, and the Formosa. Since I really didn't have much on the electric equipment that wasn't under ten years old, I went and got two 2200 2S packs right off, and the chargers for them. I plan on using those in my Formosa and my Super Twin. The Super twin was $65, and the Formosa was $45, both have gearboxes and motors and props. I had to get a couple of 20A ESC's (GWS) for about $25 each, and steal some super micros from some 1/2A stuff not flying, but that's it... [X(]

I'm also using a set of "bad" cores from my 1/4 scale Yak 54 horizontal stabs as wings on a profile Yak 54 electric. Picked up a GWS 300C (5.33:1)drive and props for it, and will use a 720MAH Ni-mh (that I got for it), so only about $50 in that one, total. It's designed closely after the Radical R/C Edge 540 profile they have. Should weight about 10 oz. ready to go, I hope....

Yep, that covers all of Phil's electrics there.... Oh, forgot the new plane for the RFFS-100. I'm doing Dave Robelin's little biplane in the latest RC Microflight for it, since my old P51 had about had it...

phil in austin (who REALLY is trying to get onto his P40 for the contests.... but I HAVE to get these off of the bench)
Old 02-23-2004, 08:48 PM
Lynn S

BF,
Thanks for the link to the 180 motor setup, that would work in a lot of small planes. It may even fly a very light Littlest Stick if you could keep it around 5-6 ozs.

on second thought it would probably have to have a foam profile fuse to be that light since the battery weighs 2.43 ozs.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:12 AM
crashawk

Is that the swarm? I got one myself about a year ago for 6 bucks on ebay. I put a 280 on it and full housed it, wasn't worth adding aerolons, it could just barely do a roll. it flew ok but same equipement in the flyzone warbirds is much better. I use carbon fiber tow to strengthen the wings.
right now the swarm is awaiting a gyrocopter conversion.

Jason
Old 03-15-2004, 04:28 AM
Bipe Flyer

It's the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBSG0&P=7]Swarm Jr.[/link] which is a 21" span version of the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPW90&P=7]Swarm[/link].