Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Will the Norvel .074 be too much for Herr Star Cruiser?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Will the Norvel .074 be too much for Herr Star Cruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 08:24 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will the Norvel .074 be too much for Herr Star Cruiser?

The short version:
Will a .074 Norvel r/c be too much for a Herr Star Crusier (cloud ranger)?

The long-winded version-
For a while now, i've been working on and off on a star crusier trainer by herr. I converted it to tail dragger and was happy to see herr release a tail dragger version (cloud ranger) with the gear exactly the same as my mod..

Oh my question..

Way back when I bought the kit, I was thinking I'd just use two channels and use an old cox cadet radio with it, so I bought a c/l type engine for the plane, a MP Jet .061 from Carlson.

Now I find that my old radio is older than I thought and not legal anymore.... So bang, excuse for new three channel!

So I'll just buy a carb from Carlson and slap on the mpjet-- doe, no longer available (the carb).. from Mr. Carlson anyway..
(maybe somebody has seen one at their local shop?)

So now I have an excuse for a new engine, and this forum seems to be in love with the norvel .074.. pretty cheap, great warranty, light and monster power....

Will it be too much power? I bet the norvel weighs less than the mpjet I have now, even taking into consideration that I have the cl version... mpjet=82g.

I ask because the last plane I flew was a sig kadet Junior, with a super tigre 25 on it. It was long ago enough that my transmitter case was made of metal. That sig was hell- my instuctor loved it, but to me it was too fast with that beast 25. I hit the tree at a significant fraction of the speed of sound.

I don't want to get in the same situation of a 'too hot' trainer for my re-training efforts using the herr.. and after seeing that film clip on another thread of the 20 oz plane going straight up on take off, I'm a little skaired!
Old 02-28-2004, 11:39 PM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will the Norvel .074 be too much for Herr Star Cruiser?

There was one of the high wing Herr planes at our fun fly today with a novel .074 on it . It looked nice and flew very well, I don't think it would have too much power, just throttle back if you need to.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:02 AM
lwr_

Perfect match!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-29-2004, 01:34 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's the engine and prop combination that determines speed, not just the engine alonel With a 7X3 prop the .074 will provide lots of pull without going too fast. In fact an .061 with a 5X4 would fly it faster, but the .074 will give much better vertical.

For my money the .074 is the best engine going in any size.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:04 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Mine is perfect with the .074 and a 7x4 prop. Go for it!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 06:41 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sold!.. Thanks for all the re-assurance. Gosh a 7-4 prop seems so huge.. Should get me out of any trouble so long as the nose is pointed up any at all and the engine is running.
That engine and some of those cheap draganfly 9g servos- a 6g for the throttle, and maybe the 'star will be both a floater and a terror.
Now to aquire a three channel receiver. am that is... I think futaba and hitec are the only ones left makin them.. for aircraft...
AM was fine. It was digital anyway.. sorta..