Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

foam wings with .049 for racing

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

foam wings with .049 for racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 12:24 PM
onthefly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foam wings with .049 for racing

Our club here races 1/2 A. I'd like to get in but am not a builder. Wattage makes a dago red racer that comes in around 14 oz. Our 1/2A rules are .049, 200 sq in wing area, not less than 13 oz. My question is, would the wing/plane hold up to pylon racing with the glh's, d200's...? I could probably run a carbon fiber rod through the wing if I had to. What kind of speeds and turns will these stand up to? I'd also consider the wattage p-51 but it's about 4oz heavier. Thoughts?
Old 03-17-2004, 02:11 AM
skimmer

Default RE: foam wings with .049 for racing

Hey onthefly,

I also live in Utah and actually decided to build a 1/2a pylon racer (haven't gotten around to racing it yet), I see that you said the dago red racer will come in at around 14 ounces, in my opinion that is heavier than I would like. My plane weighs about 10.5 ounces and is still not the lightest of the bunch. I am not saying that you have to have the lightest plane to have fun at the races but I think you might find it hard to keep up with the group if you have a 14 ounce plane. The plane I have is made by west wind aircraft which is owned by a local guy named Chad, these planes are very light and very easy to build. no matter what plane you pick, you will have a blast. Hope to see you at the races (if I can get to them).

Ohh, about the foam wings, I think that if you put a carbon fiber rod through them they would be just fine and could hold up to some pretty hard turns.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:03 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You could also cover them with light 1/16 balsa and then egg shape some light fiberglass over the mid half of the wing. Then hollow out the wing and put the receiver, battery and aileron servo up there, you only need a 50-100 mah pack for a race, just charge it every race. That leaves you a fuselage that only needs to be wide enough to house your tank. The last I looked (6 years ago) the trick setup was to build the tank, mount into the fuse, being the widest part, then have the elevator servo in the fuse and that's about it. When we went from Teedees to Norvels, life got a whole lot easier and a bunch faster.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Ray 67
My Feedback: (1)

Clean,

Which model of the Norvel do you folks use?

Thanks,

Ray
Old 03-23-2004, 06:20 AM
Larry Driskill

Good Morning Ray,

Folks seem to use the BigMig version when they want a throttle. For racing the AME is more popular. If the rules allow, the .061 is, of course, more powerful in both the Mig and AME.

There are several threads here for break-in advise.