Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Herr AT-6 Help glassing the belly

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Herr AT-6 Help glassing the belly

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 12:20 PM
JLMG1971

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Herr AT-6 Help glassing the belly

Hi
I would like to glass the center lower wing (which would be the belly) on my AT-6, the reason is that it lands on its belly and the covering gets scratched and eventually ripped, even on grass fields. I just can't figure how to do it, I don't want to sheet the lower center wing, is there any other way to do it? the problem is getting the glass cloth tight between the ribs where there is nothing to bond it to. Maybe there is some king of iron-on-heat-shrink glass cloth, any ideas?....
Old 03-20-2004, 12:39 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Herr AT-6 Help glassing the belly

HI JLMG! I have glassed right over covering with good results. Take a SCOTCH pad to the area and rinse with acetone. You spray a contact adhesive to the covering, then lay the cloth out, spread it out smooth, then resin it. Squeegie off the excess resin[ you will be amazed at how much you can remove]. Try to limit the work to as small an area as possible.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:10 PM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Herr AT-6 Help glassing the belly

You can leave the covering on and use some clear (or colored) packing tape like the Zagi's use.
I've been landing my Zagi 400 for over a year on the original tape job and it still looks great.
If you spray a little 3M Super 77 adhesive on the area, the tape will stick even better.

Jesse