Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

HALFWIT EXTREME?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 02:11 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default HALFWIT EXTREME?

I know this is a sleazy way to lure unsuspecting viewers in to my post, slap on a little "brand recognition" by using the HALFWIT name, and it draws them in like flies. This plane is a good example of what happens if you allow a PBF to cross breed with a HW. So far it weighs 2.2ozs. It will get a HW-ish tail, and 3"chord flaps. I was trying to work a 3/16 carbon kite rod into the fuselage, but the chord span of the wing is providing enough support to the fuselage as it is.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83299.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	115030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31415.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	115031  
Old 03-24-2004, 05:20 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HALFWIT EXTREME?

Hey CP - did you buy the 25 foot roll of that purple covering or what??!

You da man, another crazy flying plane...

AJC
Old 03-24-2004, 09:04 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great GooglyMoogly!!!! That looks like it will be absolutely wild!

I agree with AJ, you must have found the clearance table full of transparent purple......

I think the name should stay-- I just want a copy of the plans

Maybe I will have my first variant of the Half-Wit ready to post on the forum soon. I hovered its butt off at Houston and after 10-15 flights, I am falling in love with this new one.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:51 PM
combatpigg

HI MATCHLESS! How was HOUSTON? Did any of those mosquitos try to pick a fight with your plane? I love this covering, it is light, cheap, easy to apply,shrinks like crazy. It's got to supplemented with clear tape here and there, and the seams need to be fuel proofed for the long haul. I've got a detail shot of the elevator. The joiner is 1/8th" aluminum welding rod, and the whole works weighs .2ozs before covering[ it will weigh .2 after covering too]. I'll draw up a plan for it and post it for one and all AFTER it's been flown. Who knows, it might be a flop[] and need refinements. If I remember to bow towards MORRIS HOBBIES before I launch it, everything should be OK. Did Walt Morris show up at the hoverfest? I phoned him years ago to get parts for the ROSSI that came with the SUDOKOI. I thanked him for putting out such a great plane, and raved about the engine. I had tortured that engine for 100 hours. He asked me how many years had gone by since I bought it, I think it was 3 or 4 years old, any way he says,' I think it's still under warranty"! We argued a little, but he wouldn't take any money. Now I think it's great that he has a cult following with the PROFILE BROTHERHOOD! Someday I would like to try the penknife with my CVA.15, the PENKNIFE in the MORRIS video has a MVVS .21 on a pipe! YEEEHAW! [HOWARD DEAN SCREAM]

Name:	Lj21922.jpg
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	115183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28533.jpg
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	115184  
Old 03-25-2004, 02:34 AM
combatpigg

MORE PROGRESS...I counted it all up and there is 390 sq" of wing, and after all the rigging is done should weigh under 11ozs. I UFO glued the foam tank holder to the fuselage, and I'm curious to see if that will be enough to hold the tank. I tied a wheel collar to the pick up line in the tank, and all the fuel tubing is SULLIVAN, it comes in a package of 3ft length.

Name:	Db85379.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	115268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58596.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	115269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61614.jpg
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	115270  
Old 03-25-2004, 08:23 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez C/P, do you ever sleep? I'd be dangerous if I got things done as quickly as you! Must be that u/c combat building experience, eh?

She looks fantastic! If she comes in at 11 oz, that 4 oz./sq. ft. wing loading means you gotta change the name to BareWit or HalfCat. You ain't gonna BELIEVE the stuff she'll do that light....plus more power to boot! Awesome [X(]

If you get a minute, mike that gift wrap covering and post how thick it is.

ps: What's the cell# for your Chinese ARF guy in NOPOONTANG?

pps: Love that tank mount.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:35 PM
combatpigg

HI DB! This kind of building is fun compared to the drudgery of building [10 at a time] combat planes. With an average life expectancy of 30 seconds in FAST COMBAT, it makes you wonder why people do it. I gravitate towards the slower and more survivable forms of combat now. .15 diesel on 52ft lines is mucho funno, and you can fly all day with the same plane and a roll of tape.

The covering measures .001" thick with my CHINESE calipers. It has to say CELLOPHANE somewhere on the package, or don't buy it. The other wraps don't shrink.

I like that tank mount to, we're going to mass produce them at the ARF factory and sell them for $1 each, can I put you down for a couple?
Old 03-25-2004, 05:55 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, .001"....I wanted to compare it to DocuLam which is .0015" with adhesive. I've actually separated the adhesive from the polyester film and the film by itself is .000075". Sounds like on a typical covering job when you add in the adhesive and tape needed to cover with your purple stuff, it's probably about the same total weight and more hassle to use. You can't beat the price and those great colors though!

'Preciate the offer on the tank mounts. I've been using the drilled foam mounts for a while now. One thing to watch out for on an external installation is the amount of oil it'll soak up! I have to wring mine out into a paper towel after a day of flying the BareCat with 35% nitro/25% castor.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:19 PM
combatpigg

Well, the EXTREME flies great! I have the CG at 4 1/2" on a 14" chord so it seeks high angle flight, but is still very controllable. It takes a lot of down trim to fly level. The AP 061 was giving 18700 rpm with a 5.7-3 APC and 15% fuel. This plane flies slowly, even at full throttle. The 1/3 throttle spins, loops etc are comical and you could look at this thing as a hovering trainer. I want to get a light 6 channel rcvr so I can have flaperons. The roll rate isn't super fast, there is a lot of air resistance on those wing panels. To make the plane less touchy, the 4 servos that are ganged together could be moved up a couple inches.That would move the CG up for beginners. I flew this thing quite a bit with no throttle or rudder, and it was still lots of fun. Hopefully the photos will illustrate what is going on well enough for would be builders to run with. The little guides for the thread are made from fine music wire, and rings were scored in the wire with wire cutter jaws to give the wire some teeth to sink into the wood. I took a pin to pilot a hole, put medium CA on the wire then pushed it in. The pilot hole is important, because the pin leaves the wood less disturbed and ready to grab the barbed wire guide. The rear of the fuselage is flimsy, but strong enough to withstand the forces of 3D.

Name:	Pm34991.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	115540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16232.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	115541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35029.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	115542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic85316.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	115543  
Old 03-25-2004, 10:54 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very Cool CP. Get yourself an Electron6 and let us know how it goes.....

I wish I could see it fly in person!
Old 04-06-2004, 02:10 AM
combatpigg

I couldn't help myself, the urge to build a big brother was too great. LT COMMANDER BEAVIS was ready to take the reins even before this thing got covered, he just kept pounding downespressos, and wolfing bags full of sugar waiting for the roll out date. I don't think he ever left the cockpit once, not even to go #1 or #2! OH OH![X(] Anyway, this thing flies like the 1/2A version, but it isn't as impressive. It flies terrible with any amount of flaperon mixed to the elevator,[I don't know how it works, it is black magic]. This thing couldn't loop any tighter anyway, it does slo-mo pretty well. It is powered by a OS LA 40. I put a mousse can on the back half of the stock muffler and gained 1100 rpm[X(]! It is chambered with 1" aluminum tubing and built per SPAD website specs. The 1/2A version of a mousse can pipe could be done with KS aluminum tubing and still be light. A 1100 rpm gain with an 061 would be huge! Excuse me while I wipe the drool.

Name:	Lj22114.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	119298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71752.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	119299