Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Toledo anyone?

Old 03-25-2004, 05:38 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Toledo anyone?

Hey guys, any of you going to be at the Toledo show next weekend?

AJC
Old 03-25-2004, 06:46 PM
Legend4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Toledo anyone?

I will be there on Saturday. I can hardly wait.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:51 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Oh, yeah. MikeSell's son (Taylorcraft1947) is entering the Quaker Flash he built for me in the oldtimer class, and I'm gonna get some pics of it on the table at Toledo.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:16 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise, I'll be there for the ETOC and for Sat. We'll have to set up a meeting spot for Sat. Wouldn't it be cool to someday have a 1/2A table or 2 for us RCU guys?
Old 03-26-2004, 12:13 PM
ajcoholic

Milton,
Please lets set up a time... email me this weekend and I will have the hotel number, where I am staying, and also my schedule

I will be there all day Friday and Saturday for sure. We should be able to meet up for lunch or something...

AJC
Old 04-01-2004, 08:07 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Well, the Memphis area group departs early tomorrow morning. We should be there for the E-TOC and most of the day Sat. Should be great! It's my 1st time there, something I've wanted to do for years.

AJ, I sent you a PM and an email but haven't heard anything yet. Just strap the Seneca on yer back....I think I can find you then!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:15 AM
DICKEYBIRD

ARRGHH! I just found out that the Toledo Swap Shop started this morning....I 'spect AJ 's wheelin' & dealin' all over the place right about now! I'll just have to look for him the hard way.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:48 PM
BALSABRO
My Feedback: (3)

Milton

AJ will most likey be hanging in and around the Canadian eqvilent to our AMA booth

Clay Pro BRO #234 Memphis
Old 04-04-2004, 06:16 PM
ajcoholic

Hey guys! Just got home from my best Toledo show yet! Why was it the best? Well, sure I got some neat stuff as usuall, but the best part was meeting up with so many guys for the 1st time, as well as many old friends. Yesterday I met up with Dickybird and a few others from here, and had an awesome time chatting about models what else!!

I just got back, 12 hour drive and I am beat. I did pick up some interesting 1/2A engines I bet none of you guys have seen and will post some pics later on tonight or more than likely tomorrow...

Nice to be home though!

AJC
Old 04-10-2004, 08:30 AM
DICKEYBIRD

I finally made it 'til Sat so I could fondle some of the stuff I picked up at Toledo! Here's a few pics.

Pic #1: Permagrit carbide sanding tools sized to fit the standard tee-bars....shouldn't have to change it for a WHILE! Permagrit sanding block with coarse on one side, fine on the other; fits in the hand very comfortably. If you don't have any of these, you're missing out on a great tool.

6-cell 170 mah NiMH batts from Balsa Prod. for $5....bought 2; after a little soldering I'll have 3 flight packs for $10! An 8 cell 280 mah NiMH pack for $5....a little soldering and 2 flight packs for $5! Got some CA for the freezer as well; he had thin, med. or thick on sale at $18 for 4 - 2 oz. bottles!

Diamond grit exacto blade sharpener and retractable-blade hobby knife from the Edjer Co.

Pic #2: A NIP Queen Bee muffler I picked up with some other stuff for $2.50, 4 NIP Tee Dee .049 carb housings (4 for $10) and a very, very nice Medallion .09 for $20 I also picked up a fat handful of other Cox miscellany (NIP .010, .020, .09 glow heads, Tee Dee .049 venturis and other stuff for cheap.

There were bargains galore on radio gear, building supplies, fuel, kits and everything you could think of but somehow I managed to keep my purchases down to a reasonable amount compared to others I saw walking out loaded down with cool stuff! I hope to go back next year.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27396.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	120635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34498.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	120636  
Old 04-10-2004, 08:35 AM
DICKEYBIRD

I was completely blown away by this plane & engine. The engine is a scale Bentley radial that is the most beautiful piece of workmanship I've ever seen! The plane was built to the same level of craftsmanship....a truly amazing project. And yes, this is a true radial....the whole thing spins! It was really special to see the full scale Bentley engine at the USAF museum the next day in Dayton...what a weekend!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57453.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	120637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57102.jpg
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	120638  
Old 04-10-2004, 08:44 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Rotary engines rotate, Radials do not. But you're right, it was a real work of art.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:00 AM
DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: SST

Rotary engines rotate, Radials do not. But you're right, it was a real work of art.
Oops, you're absolutely right!
Old 04-10-2004, 10:55 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI SST! In spring training the equipment manager goes up to YOGI and asks him what hat size he takes. Yogi says," I dont know, I'm not in shape yet!"
Old 04-10-2004, 11:08 AM
combatpigg

DB, You did a good job of snooping out bargains, at those prices I'm surprised there weren't fist fights over the stuff! The one thing that I'm really curious about is, did you see any aluminum gas welding demos? Many years ago I saw it demonstrated, it was done with hydrogen/oxygen, and the results were amazing. It was too expensive for me back then, but now it would be real handy. Anyway, I've been to a few trade shows since and have not seen the same system [].
Old 04-10-2004, 01:59 PM
DICKEYBIRD

The aluminum "soldering" booth was there but I didn't get around to looking into it. Matchless is the reident expert on that stuff.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:20 PM
ajcoholic

DB,
I bought some of his sticks a year ago and have yet to open the package.... I still have others from before that I have to use up first. He has been there every year I have been since my first trip to the Expo in 1994.

AJC
Old 04-10-2004, 04:35 PM
combatpigg

I have seen the soldering also, I don't know if it would hold up any better than JB WELD. What I saw was actual welding, and the setup was 3 or 4 hundred dollars, if I remember correctly. I tried using the aluminum soldering kit with a propane torch for heat to fix a cracked crankcase, and did not get anywhere with it, but it did turn the case a cool shade of charcoal gray!
Old 04-10-2004, 04:41 PM
ajcoholic

Nope, this stuff is WAY harder than most alloy alluminum I use, you can tell when you file it. It is tricky to get good at using but when it works and adheres well, it is really good stuff, for small reapirs and jobs.

JB weld... ugh I hate that stuff! Never works for me...

AJC
Old 04-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

CP,
If you have an interest in welding aluminum, you might check out this site:

http://www.tinmantech.com/html/kent_white.html

This man uses oxy/acetylene to weld aluminum. I have seen his work on full size aircraft sheet metal (fairings and cowlings and such) and it is incredible.

Arlen
Old 04-10-2004, 05:55 PM
ajcoholic

I have a friend here in Canada that bought that welding set up. He says it is increadible, and the key is all the proper fluxes and such you just cant get at the welding supply shops these days. But its a lot different (and more $$) than the aluminum soldering sticks the guy in Toledo sells, but far more capable. I hope to someday buy the starter set from the "tin man"... Its amazing stuff!

AJC
Old 04-11-2004, 12:27 AM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

AJ,
You really do not need the entire outfit that Kent White sells to do Aluminum welding with oxy/acetylene. I would recommend his video and some of the flux that he sells. I have been "practicing" some with the benefit of only these two items, and I am "improving" (though I am not really proficient yet). Many small tourches will work just fine. The expensive special green glass that Kent sells is a real aid too, if you intend to do much aluminum welding. As you certainly know, aluminum dose not glow red like steel, and a better view really helps.

It seems to be a forgotten fact, but aluminum was routinely gas welded before heliarcs became common. Most texts from the 1940's and earlier have chapters on aluminum gas welding. Gas welding is pretty much limited to softer non structural alloys such as 1100 or 3003. Most of the post WWII light aircraft used gas welded aluminum fuel tanks.

Arlen