Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Proles Contest Entry - the Dee Cee

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Proles Contest Entry - the Dee Cee

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 02:29 AM
prole
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proles Contest Entry - the Dee Cee

SO I know that it's a little late but better late than never.

I just got home from Japan where I was on tour with the band. Getting ready was a ton of work but now that its over I have a lot more time to build, and gosh darnit I am gonna finish this plane this year.

I originally wanted to do an RC version of the old Vintage Stunt CL but the more I thought about it the more I wanted to do another Texaco style job. So... I kinda combined them both. I have a very light big wing with stick construction and quadrihedral.

The fuse is where i sorta cheated. I am just finishing drawing out the fuse with CAD and when that is done I'll post a pic of it for you. I wanted to so something easy, strong and light. I chose to make it out of sheet balsa in the end for times sake. It is gonna be 1/8" sheet sides reinforced in the front with 1/16 lite plyor balsa. The sheeting on the top and botton will be 1/16 balsa with 1/2" triangle stock running down the corners so I can round them down. Tail surfaces are gonna be 3/16" sheet.

here are some pics of the wing before joining the halves.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12593.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	115849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63510.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	115850  
Old 03-27-2004, 09:46 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Proles Contest Entry - the Dee Cee

welcome back to the states......wing looks good man.... so wheres the fuse...wait till you see the FRANKENSTANG.. its all built I just gotta get radio in it..ever seen a purple and yellow mustang made of foam,balsa and coro?... hence the name........Rog
Old 03-28-2004, 12:53 AM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Prole:

So where did you get the "Dee Cee?" Direct Current because you're planning on electric? Or does it just mean "Dead (in the) Center?"

Haw.

What you show looks good.

Bill.
PS: Do you, or do you not want that Tee Dee 05 RC? wr.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:16 AM
prole

William-

although Direct Current and Dead Center would both be cool names it is actaully named after my grandmother Dorothy Cox who passed last month. As a kid both my parents worked, as most have to, and my grandmother moved up after she retired and took care of my brother and I. Her and my mother (also named Dorothy Cox Herzog) were really encourging of me playing with airplanes and later playing music when I probably should have been persuing more converntional avenues of leisure.

Not that naming a little model airplane is much but it seems like the least I can do and under the circumstances it seemed appropriate.

Hey so what is this about the .05RC, I have one, like the one that you were looking for - works good. I was thinking either that or the G-Mark .061, both work real good.

If you got another one that you don't want, I'd be into that....

timothy
Old 03-28-2004, 02:49 AM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tim:

On another thread you were talking about the Tarno carb, and how you thought it would work well for you. I have an early TeeDee that came from Cox with what looks, according to Dickeybird, AJC, or you, just like the Tarno. And I am tired of fighting it.

The one in question has the Tarno style carb, and the straight exhaust stack out of the collector ring. I you are interested suggest a trade. I mentioned that old Gibson acoustic gathering dust in the corner there, Iwould expect a somewhat lesser thing as a counter offer.

I also have three of the later 05 RC engines, with the barrel muffler and adjustable air bleed. And two of them are the same, with two flute bypasses and non-SPI cylinder barrels.

So if you are interested in the early engine let me know. It actually came as an 0.049, I'll put the 0.403 bore piston and cylinder back on if you wish. It has the black plastic 0.049 carb mount, my other three have the proper red (0.051) mounts.

Bill.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:37 PM
prole

So I've bee working really hard to get my design finished by the end of the month, I wound up changing my idea from a racer to a more traditional Old Timer type design. It's kinda like an R/C assist 1/2a Lanzo Bomber or Playboy.

I did it for two reasons, one is that I wanted to keep with the kind of model my grandmother would have seen when she was my age in the 40s and 50s. Two, is that there is a VR/CS gathering on June 12th here in NC and I really wanted a plane that I could take there. I know that its not legal, but I'm not much for competition, it's more about keeping those styles alive. What better way than for a young beginning modeler sporting an OT.

The first pic is the side view of the 'NEW' Dee Cee.

Then a shot of after the wing has been epoxied together, this is the fiberglass I used to strengthen the joint.

Next is the finished wing

finially is a pic of the fuse templates

Name:	Ge96608.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	124912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83984.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	124913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23469.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	124914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84446.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	124915  
Old 04-21-2004, 05:49 PM
prole

nNext is a shot of the templates for the Tail ribs, the Vertical Stab and Rudder and the Pylon.

One of the major goals of this porject for me was to make an airfoiled Horizontal Stab and elevator. I love the way it looks on the C.G. Jr. Skylark and the Jr. Falcon. The first time I saw Bob H's beautiful remakes of these that was one of the things that really jumped out at me. Ever since then I've wanted to try it.

Here are a few shots of my first try at it. Seems to have worked out pretty well, it's light and strong. I think its gonna come out pretty well.

Name:	Ki18190.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	124924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13057.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	124925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66933.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	124926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51177.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	124927  
Old 04-21-2004, 06:28 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Brother Tim,

The thing looks cool as heck!!!! Keep at it!!!

LAter,
Tim
Old 04-21-2004, 07:35 PM
jboy381-RCU

tim,
that's a sweet looking plane your cooking up there...keep the photos coming...

BTW,are you going to ROG'S fun fly may 8???just wanted to know if i need to stop by and pick you up...

john
Old 04-21-2004, 09:15 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep it going man, you have time to finish!!

AJC