Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Those $10 servos

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 10:06 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Those $10 servos

Those $10 servos

I have seen small sized servos advertised all over the internet and available at swap meets for less than $10 each. Never bought a one, but would like your experiences if so.

Only thing I have received back is that many times the vendor is near totally unfamiliar with them, except for quantity and cost. They don't know which receivers they connect to or work with, they don't know the torque values, nor the actual weight, or if they chatter when in use. They may say they work with all of the manufacturer's receivers, but is that based upon some 2002 data, certain receivers, and only FM or AM types?

I could use a couple for an upcoming small 1/2A A/C project. Must have been someone who has purchased and tried them.

Wm.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:28 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Those $10 servos

Wm,

I know a couple of guys that are using those DragonFly Servos off e$ay. They work very well from what I hear. I bought some $9.99 micros off e$ay also but not the DragonFly's. The ones I got chatter like a 14 year old school girl! I have not flown with them yet.

LAter,
Tim
Old 04-01-2004, 02:07 PM
matchlessaero

I have been trying a lot of different servos as of late, with some pretty bad results.........

I used the previous DraganFly 9gram servos with pretty good success. These servos are black, held together with screws and have PC09 on the top of the case. They were not wonderful as the resolution was pretty coarse and the wiring very heavy, but they are relatively strong, and have taken the punishment of a tumbling(cartwheeling) Half-Wit with few problems.

Based on the success of those black servos, I bought another batch from DraganFly. The new servos are a 9 and a 6 gram model. They are all clear yellow and have red arms. Unfortunately, these are held together with a shrink wrap belt and a sticker. While the GWS pico servos are assembled this way and hold together well, the Draganfly servos seemed to be 'coming apart at the seams' . The result was a geartrain that was not meshing. The servos would 'pop' after only a small amount of travel in one direction and would not move further. Though Draganfly argued with me about them, they did issue a return auth and take them back.
I will not purchase these servos from them anymore....

After returning the Draganfly servos, I ordered some more Pico servos as replacements, and one airplane's worth of the new BlueBird servos. BalsaPR and a couple of other vendors have these. They have a 6gm and an 8gm model (as well as larger ones). The 6gm looks like a direct copy of the Pico servo molded in a purple case. The 8gm looks like a copy of an HS55. While I have not yet tried them, they appear to be put together well (8gm uses screws in the case) and they have a couple of nice features such as little brackets that allow mounting flush against a surface..and lighter guage wiring.
I'll post back once I have tested these........
Old 04-01-2004, 07:16 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

I have 10 of the 9G Dragon Fly servos in several demo models. All have performed well to date with about 30 hours each. All models are .010 to .020 sizes which may account for no issues. I have not tried them in a .049 size yet.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Old 04-01-2004, 10:19 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

I don't need any of the teeny-tiny types. The size that is about 1-2 sizes larger will suit my needs best I think as it has a bit more torque to it. I watched one at a sales booth at the A.M.A. show and the vendor commented it was chattering due to interference from some one else running a radio inside the building.

I still have some concern and doubts.

Wm.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:16 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Yup, I was curious about the 18 gr servos too but then I looked at the big picture and figured out that hitec makes that new micro receiver with a mile range and three hs-55 for $74.00. That is a good deal and hard to beat.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:27 AM
onecb
My Feedback: (5)

planebuilder66
Where is it that you get the deal you were talking about. Receiver and three HS55's sounds really good. Thanks in advance.
Alvin
Old 04-04-2004, 10:07 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Here's the web page, they mis-typed the item description on the top but the reciever is the new 4-ch single conversion they have, you just have to read the spec's to see that someone at tower put a 3 instead of a 4 in the main title.

[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFRT3&P=0[/link]
Old 04-05-2004, 01:25 PM
zoomzoooie

I bought 5 of those PC09's from my LHS and they cost me $30ea![:@] That was a while ago. I haven't put them into anything yet but have hooked them up to the Rx to try. They seem to work ok with no chatter. I also got one the their 18gr servos to. I hope I have no problems with them because they are going into a 32" detail Staggerwing project and I don't need long hours of planning and all that work going into the dirt.

I also bought 2 of the Dragonfly 6 gram servos for an upcoming small HL glider project, because they were the only one's that I found small enough to fit. Glad to here of the problem with case seperation. I think I just might CA the case together before I use them.

ZZ