Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

The Edgeling (HalfWit variant)

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

The Edgeling (HalfWit variant)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 07:08 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Edgeling (HalfWit variant)

When I first drew the Half-Wit, I kinda thought it was gonna be a love it or hate it design in the looks department..... So I also drew this little plane. I patterned its shapes after the wonderful Edge 540.

It is a variant of the original HalfWit and shares its root chord and all the wing and surface areas. This prototype came in at just under 13 ounces after I figured what componentry was appropriate for it.

Performance wise, it is right there with the HalfWit. Roll rate can be either obscene or normal and it will easily loop in its own length 4ft off the deck. She harriers pretty well, and hovers very easily. Snaps and spins are as tight as you can imagine, and it will just almost lomcevak. Knife edge is solid as well.

I hope ya'll like it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71558.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	118361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19679.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	118362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40971.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	118363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39478.jpg
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	118364  
Old 04-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Larry Driskill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Edgeling (HalfWit variant)

ORIGINAL: matchlessaero

. This prototype came in at just under 13 ounces after I figured what componentry was appropriate for it.

Really nice! What are the components you selected. Is that an .061?
Old 04-03-2004, 07:46 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Come on, where are the plans??? Don't think you can hold out on use do you???? If I had plans for the 3DX I built I would have posted them.

It looks good. I am waiting for the funding department to approve more micro gear and a few more Electron 6 Rx's. Now I see that there is a new plane I will NEED to build so I now need more radio gear.

Dru.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:04 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HEY MATCH< It takes a BIG man to fly such tiny planes! I'll bet the electric guys start drooling when they see your plane, and they might even try to cooerce you into sticking a food processor on the nose of your plane with the promise of being able to lomcevak, tumble, eggbeater and all that other stuff, but stand your ground firmly, even when they start talking about being able to turn a 12" prop @ 6000rpm with a motor that weighs less than an .061, don't budge. Even though there are rumors that you have been seen flying electric behind the wood shed when no one is looking, I refuse to believe it.

I really like the looks of the new plane, it also looks like it would be a solid performer on a pair of .008 lines too. Hmmm....
Old 04-04-2004, 01:01 AM
matchlessaero

Thanks Larry, yes its powered by a BigMig .061. As for equipment, I put a battery in it originally that was a bit too large, some heavy wheels, as well as a heavy whip antenna and some servos that I was not satisfied with.

It now has a 200mah battery pack and some new BlueBird servos along with some superlight wheels. Those changes brought the weight to what I wanted it to be.

Dru, I would like to make plans available along with a CNC cut parts kit. The parts kit and plans are already drawn, and I have also written a construction article to go with it as well.

CP, actually, at the Houston ProBro, I picked up a HiMax and gearbox to go in one...... (BTW, I have already drawn the belcrank mount for one......too)

Here's a couple more pics.

Name:	Wu62301.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	118501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70295.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	118502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45677.jpg
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	118503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32691.jpg
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	118504  
Old 04-05-2004, 08:49 PM
matchlessaero

Had an opportunity to hit the field after work today and fly with my fellow Bros.

The weather was perfect, and the lighting was too, so I convinced my buddy Matlok to get some pics of me hovering the Edgeling. The thing really does hang there well, and at under 13ozs, punch out is plenty.

Name:	Jh15338.jpg
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	119214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91925.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	119215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77333.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	119216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65135.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	119217  
Old 04-05-2004, 11:19 PM
combatpigg

Looks like a PRO BRO machine to me![8D] Does it wing-rock? Where do you have ze CG? I think tapered wings have less tendency to be disturbed in vertmode than rectangular, but don't quote me! I can't wait to have a vert drag with ya someday. Do you have to do a tail touch first before you can punch off?
Old 04-06-2004, 12:26 PM
matchlessaero

CP, it has a little more wing rock than a Half-Wit, but it is by no means something you can't 'control' through, and when you get it in the 'sweet spot', there is basically no wing rock. CG is a little further forward than I really want it right now, but its flying so well, I don't really want to mess with it......

Would love to do a vertical drag with ya sometime too. We don't require a tail touch in ours, but you do have to come back down with style or it does not count...... : )
Old 04-06-2004, 01:14 PM
wild fred

a definate round of applause for that one! I really like it and your raven. I hope to see it fly someday! keep up the great work!
Old 04-06-2004, 01:22 PM
combatpigg

Maybe MORE wing area[ ala HW] at the tips is a good thing to dampen wing rock, but a bad thing for torque rolls, and catching wind when hanging perfectly plumb. Imagine all the crunched rudders you would get with rule 9 starts! Maybe that is what rule 9 would be changed to if I WERE ELECTED AMA PRESIDENT,[ you gotta tap tail before punching off]! Have you flown DBs' 10 oz profile yet? I'm curious because it sounds like you have a little more 3D experience, and it would be interesting to hear your comparison between the depron vs balsa planes.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:16 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

MATHCLESS..... I have had a few heros over the years, but you sir, take the cake!!!! I wish I had 1/10 the time you seem to find to work with your ideas. As always, ANOTHER WINNER!!!! Looking forward to getting a kit &/or plans to this one at SMALL Steps this year. I hope you will have a kit with my name on it, cause I needs me one of those EDGELINGS!!! Plans would be good too. )
Old 04-07-2004, 06:52 AM
matchlessaero

Thanks guys. I'm really glad ya'll like it.

I'm really enjoying the heck out of this thing. To say 'it goes where you point it' is a gross understatement.

It also seems to be pretty tough (like a Half-Wit) as I dumped it on its head and wing tips several times now from hovers and harriers..... [] Still no damage through all that.

I'll see if I can get some video sometime soon of it and find somewhere to post it....

The rest of the equipment inside includes a 200mah nimh 4cell pack and a 555 reciever....

BTW, an example of how tightly this thing will maneuver--- My flying on Sunday was 'cut short' by my last flight. I was doing snaprolls over the runway (about 10 ft up) in rapid succession, and on the last one, I heard a huge 'whop' and the engine sounded funny for just a hint of a second...
Fearing the worst, I put it on the runway immediately and sure enough, I had gotten my antenna.... [X(] I have now bobbin'ed most of the antenna in the wing to prevent it from happening again......
Old 04-19-2004, 09:39 PM
hotdogx

Jeremy,

VERY nice! It looks even better than the drawing! Lemme see... a Razor or Astro or Himax or Mega motor with a gearbox and a 3S Li-Po battery would work pretty good too and then I could fly it at my local school. You done good!
Old 04-19-2004, 11:07 PM
matchlessaero

Thanks Al

When I took it to Houston, several people began talking about electrifying the little thing. I have a HiMax that I was thinkin about installing, but I have not yet gotten my hands on an esc for it......

With the .061, it has a good bit of punch. It will easily accelerate out of a hover vertically. I have also wanted to try the .074, and based on Rrragliaman's experiments with a .074 in a Half-Wit, I am thinking the Edgeling would fly well too with it.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:52 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Ahhh finally the debeut. Another home run J. Beautifull plane. One problem with the .074 conversion is the film tank is a little small. There is some advantage gained in fuel effeciancy by not having to run at or near full throttle. My problem is I'm using so much nitro 35-40% (compinsation for the 5280 ft. I fly at) that the .074 would only run for 3-4 min. Had to switch to a larger tank.Any way she's a nice ship did you mention somthing about kitting this one?
Old 04-20-2004, 06:47 PM
hotdogx

Jeremy,

I'm thinking an .074 Norvel on 25% nitro would be a good combo. You could always put a Sullivan 1.5 ounce tank on it (does the film can hold about an ounce?).
Old 04-29-2004, 07:49 AM
matchlessaero

Well, I had a mishap with a happy ending yesterday.

I plan to fly the Edgeling in a competition funfly this weekend, so I put a monowheel gear on it and headed to the field with my event list in hand.

One of the events is takeoff-roll-loop-touch-roll-loop-touch-roll-loop-land. I practiced this for about an hour and got pretty fast as I pushed myself more and more. Then I got my timing wrong and WHOMP.*&%(% I over rotated on a roll and pulled straight up when I should have pushed down........ The airplane went straight in at full throttle from about 10ft up.

As I slowly walked onto the runway, I noticed that all the controls were still tight and worked well, and the plane appeared to be in really good shape. When I picked it up, I noticed that one of the monokote wing panels had shattered due the drum effect, but there was absolutely no other damage to the plane.....[X(] Did not even break the prop.

I have already recovered that panel, and you can hardly see the repair, But I am glad the thing held up like it did.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:39 AM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

I am looking forward to a kit of this one!!!
Old 04-30-2004, 06:00 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: matchlessaero

Thanks Al

When I took it to Houston, several people began talking about electrifying the little thing. I have a HiMax that I was thinkin about installing, but I have not yet gotten my hands on an esc for it......
Have I got a deal for you !

The ESC that I ran on that Himax for many a flight (that's why the pinion gear is so worn....[8D]) got used on a motor with a little too much of an appetite for amperage. Now the ESC has some "issues". Castle Creations has a flat rate $20 (I think) repair charge for the CC P10. I'll send you the ESC if you want to send it off and get it fixed for $20. It still works to an extent, so it's not completely shelled out.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:39 AM
matchlessaero

Jeff, I will take you up on that offer, Thanks so much-- bring it to Memphis with you to save shipping?

I flew the Edgeling this weekend in its first competition. I flew it in an AMA sanctioned FunFly at the Brookland, AR RC club. Had a really good day. I was flying against typical .40 size competition funfly machinery like Menace's, Magics, etc. Out of 4 events, I took second in 3 and ended up with the 4th place overall trophy.

I don't figure that's not half bad for a .061 powered 12 oz plane when compared to those .40 sized funfly monsters!

A big thanks to RadDad. He and his club put on a top notch event. Lots of fun, good people to talk to, nice field, and the day was organized 'just right'
Old 05-03-2004, 11:05 AM
LarryC

matchlessaero,

Thanks for coming over to Brookland for our fun-fly. You put on a good performance with the Edgeling, and we all had a ball watching it fly. We do these twice a year with the main objective being to have fun. It's the guys like you that travel to attend that makes it all work for us.

Thanks,

Larry Caldwell
Brookland RC Club
Old 05-03-2004, 02:05 PM
seancorder

That is the size planes should be. I was thrilled to see a "non-electric" plane that buzzing around. I want one!

Sean Corder
Old 05-03-2004, 08:35 PM
slowroll90

i thought it looked great
it keep up with the big fun flyers good
Old 05-04-2004, 11:55 AM
ZB50

Please save my email address so you can provide me with purchasing info. This looks great!
[email protected]

ZB

Pro Bro #82
Old 05-05-2004, 01:57 AM
3D-kid330

Great job!!! That Edgeling looks nice! It must fly good to keep up with those 40 sized fun flys.

3D-kid330

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.