Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox tank sizes and run times

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox tank sizes and run times

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 08:36 PM
Keefer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox tank sizes and run times

Just getting back into CL - built a pair of 1/2a Flite Streaks from scratch. On one, I installed a Perfect fuel tank to service a Cox reed valve engine (don't know the version of the engine - has the needle / intake in a plastic plate attached directly to the crank case.

Anyhow, this Perfect tank is about 1 1/8" long, 3/4 inch wide wedge type with two vents (one on each top and bottom). I only get about 60 seconds of run time, whereas my other plane of the pair has a Golden Bee that runs for just under three minutes.

Does anyone know what the relative fuel capacity of the Perfect and Golden Bee tanks are?

Oh, and why would the Brodak butyrate dope under the firewall soften and dissolve away within minutes of getting fuel on it? It cured for nearly three weeks!

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:57 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cox tank sizes and run times

The golden bee has a 8c.c. tank, around 1/4 oz, the perfect tank you are using must be a mini "wedge", they did make some tiny ones. Perhaps you could try to change the tank position, it may help extend your run time. The old boxes that the tanks come in gives details on mounting for max run times.

Not sure about the dope, have never used that type.

Remby
Old 04-07-2004, 10:05 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Cox tank sizes and run times

Keefer,

Check the cylinder in the engine without a tank. It probably has two bypasses bringing fuel up from the crankcase. This will provide more power...but use more fuel.
If the Golden Bee is stock it should have a single fuel bypass. (less power, more run time)
If you are clocking the external tank on the ground, remember that if you hold the plane level you are drawing only half the fuel from the tank because the pickup is in the wedge.

Glow fuels for 1/2A run from 15% to 35% nitro. Most butyrate dopes are only RESISTANT to 15% to 20%.

Hope this helps.

George