Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

New Norvel .074 engine problems

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

New Norvel .074 engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 07:32 PM
smokey911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Norvel .074 engine problems

I am having a problem with my Norvel 074 motor. I broke it in as directed in the instructions and it runs but I do not think it is running as fast as it should. I have it on a plane that I had a 400 motor on but when I throw it, it falls to the ground. I put 3 tanks through it and from all of your post I though this motor was a little powerhouse. I have a wooden 7X3 prop and I am using the Norvel NVX35 35% nitro fuel. Still not getting enough power. The entire setup with fuel only weighs 20 oz. Again it flew fine with the 400 motor. Any help would be great.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:10 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: New Norvel .074 engine problems

HI SMOKEY! Just to rule out anything that could be your fault, is the motor mounted on solid, perfectly flat and true mounts? Is the engine fully seated on those mounts? OK now, are you sure that the throttle is opening all the way? There is a screen there, so it is hard to tell. The backplate could be loose. The original glow plug could be fouled. If you turn the motor up on compression, the cylinder should stay pumped up for at least a few seconds when cold and primed. You should be able to bounce the prop between compressionstops and the crank should be free turning. I'll pass the torch on to the next guy to help, it should haul 20 ozs straight up!
Old 04-08-2004, 08:15 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the prop on backwards? Is the prop on tight? Is the motor running rich ( four cycle mode) You should be leaning it out for close to max rpm at wide open throttle, Is the head on the motor tight? This engine should be way more than enough for a 20 oz. plane. Somthing is definatly wrong. Norvel has a web sight with your basic motor sounds and operation if your not familure with glow engine operation. Just a few of my ideas.

Darren
Old 04-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Lynn S

Try using a Master Airscrew prop. That should give you more thrust. When the engine is running right it sounds like it has a pipe on it.
You could have a problem with your clunk not letting enough fuel flow through it.Make sure it didn't flop to the front of the tank.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:51 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

maybe fuel foaming? 20 oz like CP said should go almost vertical,,needle adjustments can be very sensitive...Rog
Old 04-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Japanman

Sounds to me like you are not getting wide open throttle... make sure that (as combat pig also said) the carb barrell is opening all the way so that the hole is as open as it could be. The arm on the throttle barrel may have slipped and be not allowing the carb to open properly. When open there should be a hole all the way through the carb of about 1/8inch or 3mm.

J.M
Old 04-08-2004, 10:08 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

First of all, it's hard to find a bad motor these days. If you had followed the instructions correctly and it has good compression and is free the rest of the rotation then it is broken-in well. There are only three things you need to make the engine run well, fuel, air and heat(compression and glow-plug), with that said make sure your clunk, fuel tubing and pressure tap are flowing the fuel and pressure with no restrictions. After confirming that, check the engine for proper operation of carbutator, opens fully and is not leaking through the base or any othe air leaks on the engine(backplate, cylinder base,bearings). If all is good then check the plug, usually the plug will let you know when it's time is up, erratic running with idle flameouts constantly. The last variable is the prop, a under pitched prop will scream and vice-versa for the higher pitch prop, one more factor is the wood vs plastic prop, my norvel .074 won't tach high with wood but on plastic it will tach 17,500. I'm guessing from the heavier flywheel effect. Plus I gained some more RPM by removing head shims, thus increasing compression and advancing the ignition point. If everything is as it should and prop and shim changes don't do anything, then I would check your fuel, try some other fuel from a friend to verify the fuels quality.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:09 AM
XJet
Banned

Yeah, the Norvel 061 almost caught me out -- the throttle arm works backwards compared to most other RC engines. ie: you pull it back to open the throttle and push it forwards to close.

But I just started mine up for the first time today (many thanks to all those who have decribed the break-in options in this forum) and it is just so sweet compared to my tired old Cox engines.

It's also surprisingly quiet -- I guess I'm used to open-exhaust coxes and pulsejets :-)

I only logged about 5 minutes of break-in time on it today but I hope to get the recommended 15-minutes finished tomorrow, then I'll go flying (yay!).
Old 04-09-2004, 12:37 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI XJET!Glad to hear you like the NORVEL 061! They are such versatile engines, they are so easily tuned from mild to fairly wild, and it sure is nice to have such cheap, light and dependable engines that the casual hobbyist, or power hungry madman can have a great time with! I guess it won't be long before we see an XJET exhaust system! I volunteer to be in the operational testing program!
Old 04-09-2004, 02:31 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd check your needle setting and that the throttle is opening all the way as others have mentioned.
You should have plenty of power. Click on this link to see what an .074 running on 25% and a Master Airscew 7X3 prop can do with a 20oz plane.
http://donatelli.net/12aee/Vertical.mpg

XJet
The Norvels are pretty quiet for small engines. A couple of weeks ago we tried out the clubs new DB meter and of half a dozen planes at the field my Norvel .074 was the quietest. Even queiter than an OS .70 four stroke! The loudest was a Quadra gas engine.