Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

What Wing Span?

Old 04-09-2004, 06:42 AM
skier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Wing Span?

I am thinking of trying to scratch build a plane and wanted to use either two Norvel .074 or .049. What wingspan and how wide should the wing be. I want it to be fairly stable, but still aerobatic.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Lynn S

Default RE: What Wing Span?

The Littlest Stick wing enlarged to 150% will have a 7 inch chord. You would have a 30 inch wingspan with the standard plan or add an extra bay(on each panel) and have a 34 inch wing. With the 30 inch version you would have a lot of speed and all the lift you need. The 34 inch wing would slow the plane down some and have more lift and have slower landings. This wing with the 150% size Littlest Stick will fly with a .049 or .074 power. I'm thinking of trying a .074 myself to see what happens.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:57 AM
skier

I was actually thinking of designing the plane myself. No plans. Possibly two engines, but I will look at the littlest stick.

I wanted to build this becase I just got a scroll saw and a sander. I was hoping to build this to get used to the new tools before I build a BV-141 from plans.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Lynn S

I didn't notice you wanted to build a twin. The Goldberg "Skylark" was a good twin/single engine design. I would take a look at that plan for some ideas.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:04 AM
skier

thanks i'll look at that
Old 04-09-2004, 01:24 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Your first scratch build or your first twin? If this is your first scratch build please consider just using ONE engine. There's plenty to think about just designing and building a decent model withou adding the extra factors that come with gas twins what with single engine considerations and stuff.

Or if you're adamant about the twin consider a pushme-pullyou type like the Cessna Shyhawk or the Dornier Do335 Pfeil. As for span it's more important to have the right area than the span. For twin 049's I would not want to see any less than 400 sq inches. For twiin 074's no less than 500. You can easily go as much as 100 sq inches higher in each case. And build light. 32 to 40 oz for the twin 061's and 40 to 50 for the twin 074's if you want pattern model performance.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:35 PM
skier

Ok your post convinced me to go with one engine. I have started building and went with a 36 inch wing span with a 7 inch chord. It will be a high wing plane. with a flat bottom airfoil. I am thinking of making it like the Cessna Skyhawk (twin booms going back to the tail) with just the pulling engine. Any ideas on what type of engine I should use

this thread should probably be in the scratch building section.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:26 PM
BMatthews

Nope, the 1/2A engine qualifies it for here just fine. You're at home with us. We do this sort of stuff here all the time.

Your new direction is a much better option for now. 36x7 is a fine size for a single 061. DO keep the weight down to about 20 oz and it'll fly in fine style. If you can keep it down to around 16 to 18 oz it'll be even better and the slow speed part will benifit greatly. An 074 would put it into the F18 with afterburner on class of performance. Even the 061 will be a hotrod at full throttle. If this is one of your first RC efforts then I think you'll find you spend most of the first fights at only 1/2 to 2/3 throttle just to keep it from getting out too far in front of your flying skills. Later, at full throttle, you'll be rippin' the sky in fine style.

If we can help with any of the other design aspects feel free to bare your soul... The Skyhawk twin boom style sounds like a fun alternative to the usual long box. Ailerons and elevator or rudder and elevator?
Old 04-09-2004, 06:45 PM
skier

I have flown a trainer, easy sport, and tower hobbies uproar. This will be my first scratch build. I mis-typed before. It has a 9.5 inch chord. I was thinking 4 channel, aileron, rudder, elevator, throtle. Would an OS 15 LA be too much power?
Old 04-09-2004, 07:16 PM
BMatthews

9.5 inch chord puts this into the very low aspect ratio class at only 36 inch span and about 350 sq inches of area. You COULD use a 15 on it but if you do I would strongly recomend a symetrical airfoil in that case. It'll become more of a 3D fun flier model with that much power so you may as well build it like one. Only YOU can say if you're ready for that or not. With the 074 it would be a bit tamer but still pretty high performance. At that chord and area it's flyable with the 061 but only if you can keep the weight under control.

From all this I'm guessing that you're using ailerons. The short stubby aspect ratio means that it'll roll like a top if your ailerons are wide and use enough throw.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:16 PM
cortacesped

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there any posibility, based on the Littlest Stick plan , to build a Stick for an OS 15 LA ? I want to build a plane, but I has to be simple and cheap because now I´m very busy (job, study). Thanks. Regards.

Claudio
Old 05-04-2004, 01:56 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI CLAUDIO! If you put a 15 on a 36" wing, go with 1/4" by 1/4" hard balsa spars, and support the spar/rib intersection with a small strip of vertically placed 1/8" balsa to keep the rib from collapsing and the spar from breaking . A thick airfoil is also a strong airfoil, plus you could build a little profile type plane like the MORRIS HOBBIES PEN KNIFE, and put all the radio gear in the wing. If you scaled up the HALFWIT to 36", you would have a great plane for a 15 I'll bet.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:58 AM
straitnickel

[ATTACH]1937337[/IMG] hello anybody, I see this post is old but it's on the topic. I have an .049 and an .09 and want to build the same plane for both engines. the plans should be attached. So, what wing span do you suggest for each one?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rivets_020.pdf (487.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 11-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by straitnickel
[ATTACH]1937337[/IMG] hello anybody, I see this post is old but it's on the topic. I have an .049 and an .09 and want to build the same plane for both engines. the plans should be attached. So, what wing span do you suggest for each one?
The Rivets has a fairly generous wing area close to the root. Are you looking for a fast, agile plane or one that is slower, but more manageable?

I think your calculations probably should be based on wing area selection rather choosing a TLAR span. Here's an example: Given a wing with 20" span and 5" chord, area is 100 sq. in. Now, let's increase the size by 50% to 30" span, 7.5" chord. The area has increased to 225 sq. in. or a 125% increase over the original wing.

Consequently, you may want to determine the wing loading first, then set the span accordingly --- and that depends on what kind of flying you're interested in.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:34 AM
straitnickel

I have Three possible engines for this a TD .049 and .049 Black Widow I'm not looking for the fastest possible upper mid speed range for the speed, I plan no throttle just two channels, well I was just asked so I gave the wing span as 34'' and 40''one of them should work. if not I'll get a new plan printed in a different size. this is just a starting point and guessing the weight can only be an about figure and has more effect on a small plane then a 50CC.