Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Big Mig vs AME

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 06:48 PM
BUCKETOBOLTS
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Mig vs AME

Okay guys, since you have convinced me a .15 is not a 1/2a engine, can someone with a little more expirience than I explain the differences b/w a Big Mig and a AME .061?

On Quantums site the say that the AME is not for beginners and quote "are willing to work with a thoroughbred engine." I have decieded to build my Simple P51 as light as possible, have as much performance as possible, and with the least headaches as possible.

I have been through the conrtary engine thing with a MDS. Had two; One runs like a champ, the other has landed deadstick more times than my Gentle Lady glider.

Or for performance should I consider a .074? It is a few oz. heavier but will it make comperable hp.?
Old 06-26-2002, 07:06 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Default Big Mig vs AME

I have about 15 Norvel engines. The AME is the higher compression, higher performance of the two. The Big Mig was designed for easy starting and more easy going. The AME will flat hall the mail!! Several of my .061's will turn 25K plus on the ground. I also have 3 .074's. They are stronger than they look. Norvel says they have the power of a 10. I think they come real close. If I was building a P-51 I would get all the power I could up front. I would go with the .074 on 20/20 fuel. Anything built for an .061 will rock with the .074. I am building a Herr Cloud Ranger right now. Rated for .061 mounting an .074 on it.
Old 06-26-2002, 09:15 PM
BUCKETOBOLTS

Default Big Mig vs AME

2fast what size and pitch prop do you run?

All I have to do to finish is purchase a reciever and a Norvel. I believe I have a 2 oz fuel tank to go in it. It was all that would fit is that too much? What type reciever do you use?
Old 06-26-2002, 09:40 PM
Ky Flyer

Default Big Mig vs AME

The 074 will swing a 7x3 MA quite well, as well as 6x4, or 6.3x4 combat apc. I have ran all my dozen or so norvels on 35% nitro 20 % oil. Good engines. The 074 is a bit less picky than the 061s. The weight difference is less than an ounce, and its still less than 3 ounces.

Sorry about your MDS luck. I've never gotten one to have any low end . Hate em.

A two ounce fuel tank will run you 12-15 minutes, even with 35% I had a HOB 1/12 Mustang with a 061, that got a little heavier than I like at 25 oz, but still flew great after it got up some flying speed. The 074 will let you pitch up an inch for a little more speed, or go up in diameter for a bit more thrust. Save weight whereever you can and it will fly fine...Try a Hitec 555 or Super Slim 8 reciever. You can save near an ounce there.....
Old 06-26-2002, 11:10 PM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default ame

Stay away from the ame and go with the big mig the ame is truly not for the begineer it is a very radicaly timed and ported motor designed for the max in power to weight and c.i. size they run real fast in the right hands but will make you miserable in a sport fun type air craft, the .074 will make your stang rip, just remember the faster it goes ,the faster that it becomes a little a tiny spot in the air, good luck I love the norvels , fastlash an X cox lover!
Old 06-27-2002, 04:31 PM
2fast4u

Default Big Mig vs AME

I agree with everything except the part about the AME being hard to deal with. If you want the racers edge, yes anything can get picky when pushed to the max. I have 3 AME .061 R/C engines that will start just by bumping the spinner clockwise like you were snapping your finger, and still turn 19K on an APC 5.7x3. Now the non R/C AME's that I have are a bid tougher to deal with, but the reward is all out speed. All my .074's are just easy to get along with. Go with the .074 and try the 6x3, 6x4, and 7x3 props, you won't be sorry.

FYI...some of the newer Norvel's with the ceramic coating piston are so tight they will not turn over when new!!! If you get one of these, be happy, they are the best ones over time. If your is too tight to turn over, pull the head and plug, place a few drops of oil on top of the piston, turn it by hand several times to coat the cylinder, then replace the plug and head and spin it with your starter for several seconds. Now set it up for running and run it REAL RICH for several tanks. These ceramic liners are hard as a rock and take a bit to break in, so your fuel should have at least 20% oil in it. Done right, they will run forever and get better with age. Mine seem stronger every time I use them.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:04 PM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default AME

well since he referred to the ame .061 Ifigured he wasnt talking about the r/C version, but the fool blown race version for max performance, witch I think is what he was referring to, Haven"t tried the rc version of it yet, might have to do that one??? thanks for the up date on that one, by the way your screen name is my old SFA # that I had till they went away, Fastlash
Old 06-27-2002, 07:01 PM
Ky Flyer

Default Big Mig vs AME

I agree , the AME R/C versions are 98% as easy to deal with as the Big migs. They usually wont idle quite as low, and have a bit more top end. It was my understanding that the ports were just a tiny bit bigger on the AMEs, and that was the only difference. I have always belived though, that there is no better bang for the buck than these engines. If there was a 4 ounce 16 ounce thrust Ducted fan solution for these, oh man.....
Old 06-27-2002, 07:38 PM
2fast4u

Default Big Mig vs AME

That ducted fan thing sounds like an opportunity knocking!!! With all the CAD and other engineers out there, seems someone would have the answer by now. Can't you just see/hear it.......An F-86, F-16, F-18, or Mig screaming by about 3 feet off the deck turning about 30K RPM.......... OOOHHHH BABY!! That would be SWEEEEEETTTTTTT!!!!!
Old 06-27-2002, 10:42 PM
BUCKETOBOLTS

Default Big Mig vs AME

The ducted fan thing sounds excellent!!! So many possibilities and so little time. I believe that this 1/2a excitement is way more enjoyable than giant scale gas planes costing several grand. Besides if you bang one up to bad to repair you can rekit in one evening. And so what if it is messier than electric. You'd have twice as much in an electric to get the performance of these little planes.