Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2a pylon racing kits?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2a pylon racing kits?

Old 05-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Akherat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2a pylon racing kits?

Does anyone make these?
Old 05-01-2004, 10:39 PM
Ragwing
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: 1/2a pylon racing kits?

I don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, just asking a follow up question: Does anyone know where to purchase Ace GLH plans? Also where can one purchase wing cores? Thanks!

Derek

Edited for spelling
Old 05-04-2004, 08:18 AM
ZB50

The Lanier Dominator is a good little plane, Also Morris has the YellowJacket. I have built a Dominator 200 and it was quite fast with a BM.061. I also built a Lil' Bubba and it would get it.

ZB
Old 05-05-2004, 11:45 AM
Ray 67
My Feedback: (1)

I don't think that the Yellow Jacket is AMA legal for pylon. Not enough area. Does anyone know if the Dominator is AMA legal for racing???????? Can't seem to download the newest rules from the AMA site.

Ray 67
Old 05-05-2004, 04:47 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the GLH can be found in the RCM plan catalog, or the AMA catalog. What a great little plane! Kind of heavy as a kit, but a good scratch build could solve that problem. the HOBBY LOBBY electric racers could be good to try. The thread about ,"A NEW SPEED PLANE", by MATTI, looks like a winner to me. Last I looked at a rulebook the minimum weight to be legal for 1/2A pylon was an ungodly 20 ozs, which would make for a real pig of a sport flyer. I would be surprised if the 200 DOMINATOR was not legal, because it sounds like what the plane is marketed for. LANIER's website probably would tell you.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:55 PM
Akherat

The dominator isn't legal, my dad bought one, he is currently in the process of modifying it to make it legal.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:06 AM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

you might try building a hot dog, layout is on the design contest page. it is loosely based on the old 1/2a hornet design, which was a 1/2a pylon racer from the 70's. hornet plans still availiable. rcm catalog, I think. I sell the hot dog as an arc if you are interested. just pm me for details. it is about 230 sq. in. a little oversize of the minimum, but flies excellent as it is.

the hornet had a few problem areas, mostly a notched spar, short nose (tail heavy if not careful) and 3/32 tail. small tail area on most pylon designs, ok for racing, but if it is a couple mph slower and tracks straighter you can fly a better course and carry more speed! I used to fly a sonic in 25 quickie and regularly kept up with more modern designs as mine was a LOT smoother. I saw a dominator flat spin to the ground once as the tail too small to stop the spin... again, fine for racing but not the best sport flyer. the sonic was a great sport plane, as was the original spickler q500 (I have one of those right now, excellent flier and fast.).

I hope this helps!
Old 05-06-2004, 01:16 PM
ballgunner

There used to be a model called the QT. It was powered by a Cox .049 with tank extension. No throttle control, obviously, and no TD's allowed, just rudder and elevator. Everything was square and made from stock balsa so the wing was limited to 36". I think NE Sailplane makes on the call the Cutie but believe it's electric. Could be made into a 1/2 A nitro to go fast and turn left. Design has also been modernized with rounded tips and such but is still a parsol type.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:38 PM
Ray 67

Still looking for 1/2 AMA legal pylon kits or plans. Cannot find a plan for the Ace Pacer, Mack 1 or the T Tail Rivets. Anyone got any ideas. I have checked out most of the major plan sites.

Ray 67
Old 05-06-2004, 02:43 PM
ZB50

Do a search for the "Mini Pacer" Mark Fain has an excellent remake of the Ace Pacer. If you can't find the plans,,,, email me and I will try to find mine. I started cutting out the parts and have a way to go. Mark has done a great job with the Mini Pacer.

ZB
Old 05-06-2004, 02:56 PM
ZB50

I found the Mini Pacer file but don't know how to attach it as an attachment. Please email me if anyone wants it. All credit to Mark Fain!.

ZB
Old 05-08-2004, 11:52 PM
DStone

Sig makes the Hummer 1/2a racer kit. A swell flier, I've built five of them over the years. All of mine came in about 18 ounces with mini servos and a 250mah pack.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:04 PM
yankee samurai
My Feedback: (175)

Hey Ragwing, GLH plans can be purchased at Hobby Helpers Plan Service. www.hobbyhelpersplans.com, I believe I paid under $10.00 for them. As for the wing it uses the Ace constant cord wing kit that was reshaped to the airfoil on the plans. If you know someone that can cut wings use the airfoil from the plans and have at it. I noticed you are from Walla Walla, do you know Carlos Gregeda? If so tell him hi for me and ask him why he won't respond to my e-mails.

Randy Shiosaki
Old 05-11-2004, 03:45 PM
Ragwing
My Feedback: (2)

Randy,

Thanks for the info on the plans!

Yeah I know Carlos, I see him regularly when I'm hanging around the local airport, he's usually fiddling with his ultralight. Recently I saw him on a new motorbike. I'll say hi for you,

Derek
Old 05-11-2004, 04:29 PM
yankee samurai
My Feedback: (175)

Derek, Tell Carlos that I'm really big into R/C Combat now. I may still have the templates to the GLH if you get desprite for a wing. I have a Feather Cut foam cutter that I just love to play with. Best Regards.