"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2a speed delta

Old 09-27-2004, 10:01 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 1/2a speed delta

Sounds like a pretty high "pucker factor". If there's going to be a friendly competition here, how are we going to measure speed?

So, are you saying that if you were scratching your butt when you took off, you would have pinched your finger off?
Old 09-27-2004, 10:11 PM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used the CG on the plans and it seems to be fine....This one did the same as the other..required a whole lot of right trim !!! The built in downthrust improved the climb problem greatly.

As far as speed measuring goes....I have a program on my computer that analizes a recording of the plane passing by and it uses the doppler effect to spit out the speed and engine RPM. All you have to take to the field is a tape recorder and your in business...now that I think of it..there is no reason why you couldn't use the sound off a cancorder. I have not tried to install or use it yet, but it is the method MatchlessAero used in recording his Caliente....Which by the way is what got me started in this whole speed mess to begin with !!

xanaphyst
Old 09-27-2004, 10:16 PM
xanaphyst

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Needless to say the maiden ended in a lot of people smiling big enough for their ears to fall in their mouth and a whole bunch " Holy *****'s" muttered under peoples breath !!!

xanaphyst

PS...I need to come up with a carbon pipe and 4+4 !!!
Old 09-28-2004, 01:29 AM
Rog Winger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The mini-dust is not a kit..but a set of plans from Winger models...but not a very good one due to the CG problems and if you built it according to the plans it would take a pound of lead to balence the thing. That being said I like the challenge of working around it's quirks and they are very fast !!
Just found this thread and another on the Mini-dust. Pretty cool to see some of these models being built, and very nicely finished too! Hope you guys don't mind if I place some of your photo's in my websites photo gallery. I still have mine after all these years and may resurrect it. It's funny though that you guys are having such problems balancing them. I did layout the equipment in mine exactly as shown on the plans and it worked out very well. When I built mine Hs-55's were not even available, and they would certainly save some weight compared to the servo's I used. Perhaps a bit of updating on the plans is required.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:42 AM
xanaphyst

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That would be great...the CG has been the hardest factor to work around...other than that I love the design and feel free to post pics on your website. I'd love to see them there !! I'm currently working on version 3.0 which
will incorporate just a couple more changes...slightly longer to help on the cg issue, more bracing up front near the firewall, and a different fin attachment method. I'm also considering a model with carbon ribs in the future
as it will allow me to mount the servos in the rib instead of having to glue them to the floor. I'd be more than happy to draw it all up and sent it to you. My lateset mini-dust ver 2.0 looks to be at 10oz but I have not put it on a scale yet.

xanaphyst
Old 09-28-2004, 05:04 PM
xanaphyst

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The video !!!...it doesn't seem to want to upload...pm me with your email and I will send it to you...

xanaphyst
Old 09-28-2004, 05:08 PM
ptulmer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

xanaphyst- You'll need a web link for video. Email it to me and I can put it on my server and post a link.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:34 PM
xanaphyst

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just tried sending it..we'll see what happens[>:]
Old 09-28-2004, 09:31 PM
ptulmer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

no joy. Send it to:

cpu@ (the website in my signature)
Old 09-28-2004, 10:34 PM
xanaphyst

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well now I'm totally ticked about the no vid..gonna have to work on that.......BUT anyhow..I took off the 5+3 and installed a cut MAS that is now a 4.5+3.5......It is really going to start to shine with the prop work starting to come into play and the trims set....

xanaphyst
Old 09-29-2004, 02:55 AM
Japanman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Xana- I`d like to see your Vid- I didn`t see that you had one- I`ll P.M you my email address (posting it here would mean it gets picked up by spambots)

Top Work on the plane- I BET there were a few surprised faces at your flying feild...

J.M
Old 09-29-2004, 01:09 PM
xanaphyst

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lunch testing ended in a nose dive from a soilder connection coming loose and a busted fuel bladder filling the aircraft with fuel[:@] Gonna try to resoilder and test this evening...looks like the delta will be carrying a little extra fuel !!! Boy did the AME ever scream with the cut down prop !!!!

xanaphyst
Old 09-29-2004, 07:25 PM
xanaphyst

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79969.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	178063  
Old 09-29-2004, 08:03 PM
ptulmer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry to see that. Third will be the charm! (3.0)
Time to move on to a different plan...
Old 09-29-2004, 08:03 PM
Japanman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry to see your plane[]

It`s kind of hard to know what to say.... Looking at the positive side you know that the AME is going to scream when you get the airframe repaired.

Which solder joint failed?

J.M
Old 09-29-2004, 08:21 PM
xanaphyst

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

2.0 didn't even bother exceeding the 3 flight record of 1.0 BUT...the true potential of this design was starting to shine with the cut down MAS....If it had not been for the radio problems keeping my full attention I would have had time to put it in some nice long runs...The AME was screaming like crazy until it went in. The good news is I HAVE IT ON VIDEO !!! As soon as I can get the vid posting worked out I will put it all on here. Now for the failure...
It comes down to this....the radio sucks...I thought the problem was the reciever so I cleaned it all off and everything looked good then I flew it and it wanted to keep setting back to all neutral trims which was WAY off then it locked full aileron...then death spiriled into the ground...
Anyhow..I learned a good deal on 2.0 and can't wait to get 3.0 in the air!!! I have no doubt I can get this airframe over the century barrier....I just finished cleaning out the AME and changed out the bent prop screw....I'm goig to test run it with a MAS cut to 4.25+4 tommorrow and see what numbers come up and to make sure the engine is ready for another airframe....

xanaphyst

Hey PT..did you get that video , I tried sending it to you and Japanman....but Japanman's came back...
Old 09-29-2004, 08:25 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

DUDE! That's OOOOOGGGGLLLYYY! The RCU SENSORS should not have let that photo get on the internet! Are you trying to scare would be 1/2A modelers AWAY? With a seperated battery pack it will be impossible to decide which came first, the chicken or the egg? I dug out the "custom" pack that was siliconed into the speed plane and found a broken jumper between 2 cells. I made the mistake of taking an existing pack and tried to reuse the jumpers, but had to bend them around [to rearrange the cells] and that is what I think caused that problem. A wire will always break at the end of the solder joint where hard soldered wire meets soft unsoldered wire. The trick is to immobilize the cells AND the wiring. GE SILICONE is good for this, or GOOP. In your case it would be a good idea to send the radio in for peace of mind. The good thing is that the whole engine mount broke away cleanly instead of the engine case. Were you up to a pretty good speed when it went in? I want the BLOODY DETAILS ! Hey, I've been rambling on like it was equipment failure, it was, wasn't it?
Old 09-29-2004, 08:27 PM
ptulmer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think my failures were due to a redirect. Apparently, they may have been waiting on me all along. I'll let you know.

ps. yes, I am also a computer geek!
Old 09-29-2004, 10:39 PM
ptulmer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[link=http://www.ulmer-rc.com/rcu/minidust.WMV]VIDEO - RIGHT CLICK HERE AND DOWNLOAD[/link]

The LONG-AWAITED MINIDUST VIDEO!!! About 4.5mb

Y'all have a funny accent tho. Your cameraman videoing the bird was priceless.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:04 PM
Rog Winger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey that was pretty good! Sure sounds like you guys are having a lot of fun with the Mini-Dust. There is alot more speed potential in this bird and when you get that motor peaking out you will have a rocket on your hands. I was running 40% nitro and an A.M.E. .049. The Mini-Dust had darn near unlimited vertical and was going over 100 mph. When we were racing 1/2a airplanes back then the other fellows had Ace Mustangs and Glh's. I would give them a 2 lap headstart in a 10 lap race and still beat them. It was very quick. It was so devastating to them the 1/2a races ended right there and they went on to fly .15 size pylon. Great fun.

If you have not seen my website where these plans are available from, check out [link=http://www.wingermodels.rchomepage.com]Winger Models[/link]
Old 09-29-2004, 11:25 PM
xanaphyst

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for posting that !!! I'm always one for further development..and so down that road I'm traveling....What do you suppose I might be up to ??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86488.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	178126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41914.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	178127  
Old 09-30-2004, 12:19 AM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks like you're checking out your gear, if you get everything to check ok static, then tape the rcvr and servos to a orbital sander and see if they pass the shake test! Thanks for posting the video, I'll attempt to download it tonight and watch it in the morning. Your camera man must be pretty good if he could keep it in view!
Old 09-30-2004, 08:23 AM
ptulmer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: xanaphyst
Thanks for posting that !!! I'm always one for further development..and so down that road I'm traveling....What do you suppose I might be up to ??
I KNOW! I KNOW! YOUR TRYING TO DISCOVER A 1/2A WARP DRIVE!!!

Download the vid and check out the intro.[>:] It needed to be as cool as the Minidust!
Old 09-30-2004, 11:31 AM
Andrew

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: xanaphyst
....What do you suppose I might be up to ??
Hmmmm..... BASIC Stamp, NX-1000 prototype board with serial upload/download ports; possibly checking servo pot resistance at neutral; no O-scope, so signal pulse width is not being tested.

Given the STAMP's capacity to hold anywhere between 6000 to 12000 instructions (depending on flavor), you could be building something as simple as a servo driver or a more complete system capable of preprogramming multiple servos to respond to multiple sensors.

We use the STAMP in our robotics lab (but with boards we design and etch on-site) and require the students to write code to get their BOTs to perform predetermined tasks or to use sensor input to solve simple problems -- line following, light hunting, object location, color differentiation, etc. Turns out they learn a little programming, digital electronics and logic, but think they are just having fun.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:08 PM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GEEZ ANDREW! Your job sounds like more fun than my hobby!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service