Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2a speed delta

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 10:31 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/2a speed delta

It don't seem fair. He gets the last AME and a cool job?! (sounds like fun)
Old 09-30-2004, 10:51 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, his job is probably so much fun that he considers this hobby to be his work. On the other hand, my job is such a LIVING HELL that it makes the hobby seem like pure HEAVEN!
Old 10-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

It don't seem fair. He gets the last AME and a cool job?! (sounds like fun)
I have to admit that sometimes I get paid for getting to do some really fun stuff. BUT, just to clear things up, I got the last $32 AME C/L --- they're still available at the higher price.[:@]

However, since XANA posted some pics of what he is up to, here are a couple of freebies:

I've put together a short and simple [link=http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/simpledriver.htm]construction article [/link] for a servo driver -- this has no theory or a description of internal operation, but should be self-explanatory.

Secondly, if you have an old PC power supply lying around and want to use it to drive your field charger or have a 5 volt source for your receiver and servos on the bench, here is another [link=http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/powersupply.htm]conversion article[/link].

Use and enjoy.

BTW Xana -- when are you going to come clean on what you're building???
Old 10-01-2004, 08:06 PM
combatpigg

XANAPHYST is building a bullet proof RX that weighs 2 grams and can be made from RADIO SHACK parts for $2 each.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:54 PM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

Yeah I wish...I just put in for 2 more servos and a FMA Quantum 6 reciever after this last crash....What you see in the pictures is part of my experimentation for Mini-Dust "Genesis"....but the details are still in the design phase so this aircraft will still be some time from being complete....The idea here is to use a single axis gyro in a manner that it will allow the radio to control the elevon mixing but to use the gyro to input roll axis corrections in coordination with the mix. I was using the Basic Stamp microprocessor board to investigate the gyro/servo
intergration. The final design will use no microprocessor but a simple voltage biased scheme to "fool" the servo into thinking it is no longer centered...the "fooling" will be controled by the gyro. I'll be useing the pulse width modulation voltage on a aux. channel coupled with a transistor to function as a on/off switch.
THINK..."Less delta...more lawn dart"

But anyways....Mini-Dust 2.1 is on the board...looks like I'll be waiting on gear to come in as it won't take my any time to whip this one out.. Variations won't be enough to upgrade to the 3.0 level[8D]

xanaphyst
Old 10-01-2004, 09:12 PM
combatpigg

I'm not just saying this to be funny, build 2 while you are at it because the time you save while building the spare plane will pay dividends someday. It doesn't take that much extra time to whip out 2 sets of everything and hot stuff it together. Check out the photos that LARRY posted in my thread about AME mods, you can see he takes his C/L combat seriously!
Old 10-02-2004, 04:55 PM
xanaphyst

looks like tower has shipped my stuff first class letter so I won't be waiting to long for the servos...FMA will be a different story I bet...but anyways..I like the Metallic Med. Blue w/ the white..think I'll try red fins....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88004.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	178871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75117.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	178872  
Old 10-05-2004, 10:33 PM
xanaphyst

I guess I was wrong..the quantum showed up first !!!....the other reciever (with the stand-up pins) is the old reciever out of the mini-dust...the quantum
is the same size except it longs longer because of the pins hanging off the side but the important part is IT"S THINNER !! Also I've ditched the
piece of junk Hitec flash 5 in favor of a Futaba 9C....no more chances...I want this one to be BUG FREE !!!

xanaphyst

ANYONE KNOW OF A LIGHTER COVERING THAT WILL WORK ON THIS THING ?????

Name:	Xv63345.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	179985  
Old 10-05-2004, 11:10 PM
combatpigg

The lay down pins is a handy feature, keep it well padded in that slim plane though, those micro components won't tolerate any buzzing for long, it fractures the brittle solder joints. That plane has so little surface area that the weight of the covering is moot. I would opt for a covering that holds it's tension so the plane stays trimmed and tight, what you have there looks real good[8D]!
Old 10-07-2004, 10:14 PM
xanaphyst

Alright fellow 1/2a speed freaks...read it and weap....MD 2.1 is looking 9oz. all up weight !!!!! Wish my servos would come in !!! I used some old 55's for the weight test.....MD 3.0 is gonna be sub 9oz. with no sweat with the cut wing , lightened firewall, and smaller batteries....YYYYYEEEEEEEE HHHHHAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW !!!!!!

xanaphyst
Old 10-08-2004, 12:20 AM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I`d recomend litespan (sold as coverlite in the U.S at 2X the price...) as a light covering material... It is a little harder to apply than other iron on stuff as it shrinks less- and is a little more fragile. But at 9oz... I don`t think it will need to be lighter!!!

Why don`t we concentrate on getting more power from the engine dept... A rear exhaust norvel with light weight aluminium pipe... now why does that sound familiar...?

Stefan
Old 10-10-2004, 10:36 PM
xanaphyst

I guess I was the only one weeping because my stuff never came in from tower !!![:@] I did manage however to clean the shop, install an extra electrical socket for the scroll saw and install an air conditioner !!!! With nothing left to do on the shop I whipped out the mini dust prints and got to work on 3.0.
The rib jigs I made produce the best ribs I have seen yet and will bring a new level of quality to my on-going "dusting". I produced enought ribs to make 4 more aircraft in the time it usally took to cut out 2 R-1's !!!! 3.0 has a clipped wing at 15 inches and a single fin....I think it's going to get interesting around here !!!!! I just finished framing it up and pulled it off the prints for inspection...It is VERY straight !!! I'll get it covered in the next couple days I hope and throw up a pic[8D]

xanaphyst
Old 10-11-2004, 12:01 AM
scudrunner77

Can't you show a pict of your rib jigs too.. I am curious because I have a jig saw but am not to good with it yet.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:20 AM
Japanman

Xana-
15 inches sounds fast... you might want to order some x-ray glasses from the back of an old MAD magazine to help keep track of this new plane!

J.M
Old 10-11-2004, 07:38 PM
xanaphyst

Here is the pic of rib jigs..that is a carbon arrow shaft you see sticking threw the ribs...it makes for a perfect fit when building...
the other pics are of MD 3.0..clipped at 15in. The scale reads 2.625 oz.....the only weight not accounted for is covering, 4 ca hinges
and about 30 drops of CA.

CP....seems like I remember hearing something about a 4 oz airframe

xanaphyst

Name:	Wu60873.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	181758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16216.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	181759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40093.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	181760  
Old 10-11-2004, 07:54 PM
combatpigg

XFIST! What made you stop at 15 inches? All I gotta say is go real conservative on the elevon throws, like maybe 1/64" up and down in the roll mode! I would go with nothing less than 79% nitro, 1% methanol and the rest oil with that one! If you can fly it, my hat is off to you! The shortest span that I've ever attempted was 18" with a TD and I was almost ready for a straight jacket by the time it ran out of fuel., the old man who was watching me fly needed a drink when the flight was over! 3 ozs for an airframe is OK, but maybe next time you could try for 2?
Old 10-11-2004, 08:58 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Ya know what... I think you could do the 2oz frame with the 75% Li'l Streak... All those rods add up to some weight. Maybe some litespan and Midwest spruce spars?
Old 10-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Rog Winger

Just catching up on all the Mini-Dust work going on, pretty cool! Good job xanaphyst. Wanted to point out one thing though. The firewall looks like it is not joined to the leading edge's as intended. From the pictures it looks as though the L/E's just butt up against the firewall plate. The little notch is supposed to go into the hollow tube, glued and wrapped with thread. Makes for a very strong connection. I circled where I'm talking about in your construction photo.

Roger Winger

Name:	Ur52394.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	181812  
Old 10-16-2004, 07:11 PM
xanaphyst

ran a little prop testing on the AME 061 today...the MAS cut dowm to 4+4 yeilded a strong 27K while the wider blade
cox grey cut to 4.25 + 4 only yeided about 24.5K....I think taking a little width off the cox blades and trimming off the
.25 inch will just about match them up...the MAS ran so well I left it on....
I have no worrys about the small diameter due to the light weight of my airframe and think this combo will bring a new
level of performance to the MD series....Lets just hope the rod holds up when it unloads !!!!!!!!

xanaphyst
Old 10-16-2004, 07:26 PM
combatpigg

Our AME numbers match up pretty good. Now take the intake side of the piston skirt away , polish some material off the center of the crank main journal, and tach it again. I think the MAS could use a little blade area work . A seperate speed challenge is to get a NORVEL going 120 mph. How do you get a COX to go 120? Throw it off MT EVEREST!
Old 10-16-2004, 07:40 PM
xanaphyst

Yeah but the heavy "cowbell" fuel tank might act as a parachute !!!! Or if you wanted to actually start the thing you would likely
die of old age up there trying !!! OK I'm really joking..the truth be known I have a cox blackwidow...I use it for a door chock

xanaphyst
Old 10-16-2004, 09:27 PM
Japanman

Hey those sound like good figures- I only get 27K with the cut down MAS 4.25X4 with a pipe... And thats with the piston lightened a !lot! (ground out and trimmed skirt)
I have not fiddled the shaft though- I am starting to think that it may be well worth it! but- do you get any leakage in the from of fuel spray out the front of the engine?

J.M
Old 10-16-2004, 09:35 PM
Larry Driskill

J.M.

Only work the center portion. Don't touch the front and rear 1/8" to 3/16". And, you don't have to relieve the center very much either.

There will probably be a benefit only if the shaft was a bit tight to begin with.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:43 PM
xanaphyst

I have no engine work done..it is stock except w/ no muffler....It is not an RC ...I had used a RC model with the throttle pinned open
but there were still some issues with there being a wide RPM change from one run to the next....The use of the control line carb fixed
this problem and provides easier tuning....

Larry...will that beefy VA rod fit my norvel ??? I'm approaching the limits of my rod and I'm searching for other options...

xanaphyst
Old 10-16-2004, 10:08 PM
Larry Driskill

ORIGINAL: xanaphyst

Larry...will that beefy VA rod fit my norvel ??? I'm approaching the limits of my rod and I'm searching for other options...

xanaphyst
Both the wrist pin and crankpin are larger on the Norvel. You best go huntin' for more Castor and more pitch . . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.