Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Lathe project

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 05:21 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lathe project

Well, I'm sure a few more machine tools were used as well. I ran across this fellow's model engine project and thought you guys would enjoy it too

http://www.enginehistory.org/eagle_22.htm
Old 05-16-2004, 12:48 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Lathe project

HI DB! The CHINESE stole this guys' idea, and now these engines are on sale at HARBOR FREIGHT for $59.95. Don't let AJ see this or he will build one for next years' contest, maybe with only a single stage blower.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:09 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

HEY WAIT A MINUTE! ! ! .....

I'm pretty sure that's bigger than an 074....[sm=punching.gif]

Ya know... in all my time here at RCU (what? A whole year? PHHTTTT) I have not seen a larger concentration of metal working discussions or as large a core of guys that have machine tools to do this sort of work. We may have to submit a petition to change the name of this forum if this keeps up.

What IS it with you 1/2A guys? Machine tools and smaller engines and model just seem to come together naturally?
Old 05-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Lynn S

Dickeybird,
I bet you built a "Visible V-8" when you were in the 8th grade too??
Old 05-16-2004, 05:09 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, I'm still here CP even though I may not be as vocal.... been spending my time FLYING!

Today was awesome, a few 1/2A's and some larger planes and everything went well. I was flying my LCB (my carbon delta) with the new VA MKII engine, goes like stink and throttles really nicely. I was thinking how I need to get that G&Z into something and get going REAL fast...

Yes, I also enjoy the numbers of guys here who dabble in metalworking. It sure seems to be a 1/2A thing, for I havent found this many guys who are into it in any other forum! Why its just another reason the 1/2A crowd is THE BEST

AJC
Old 05-16-2004, 06:23 PM
DICKEYBIRD

'Nudder neat website: http://www.enginehistory.org/ Read the story about crankshaft vibration problem solving on the Pratt & Whitney R-2800....fascinating!
Old 05-16-2004, 06:56 PM
Larry Driskill

Would someone please hand The Dickiebird a transmitter or Control Handle and take him to the Flying Field?

He is making my 'Readin' Stack' much too tall.

It is difficult enough to get / stay in the shop even without all these web site forays!

Besides, I'm max'ed out just trying to keep the vibration from one cylinder subdued. Thinkin' of working on 18 cylinders makes my head hurt on the left side.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:09 PM
combatpigg

HEY BRUCE! I think the reason why so many guys here have lathes is because the only way to keep a COX engine running is to own a full service machine shop!
Old 05-16-2004, 09:18 PM
BMatthews

That's it....

OK GUYS! IT'S OPEN SEASON ON COMBATPIGG ! ! ! ! NOOGY HIM TO A SLOW AND PAINFULL DEATH ! ! !

One of the most fascinating books I ever read was a history of the internal combustion engine. In it many of the high water marks were covered rather than the mundane auto stuff. Aircraft and tank engines along with side trips about the Detroit Diesel and a few other odd balls were well detailed. One factor that came up was the fact that with a minor change to the exhaust manifolds the outputs from the 12 or 15 turbo chargers on the 2800 were directed into high speed exhaust ports that generated an additional 600 lbs of jet thrust. Not bad for waste.

Another fact that was an eyeopener was that at some point in the integration of turbosuperchargers and piston engines the engine itself becomes secondary to it's ability to generate the high pressure gas flow to power the turbocharger. At least one notable power plant mated a 12 cylinder engine to a turbo where the power output came from the output shaft of the turbo rather than the engine. More shaft horsepower was available that way. In effect the engine itself became a gas pressure generator for the turbo system.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:18 PM
ajcoholic

Now now CP - you gonna' get a few Tennessee boys mad at you!

AJC
Old 05-16-2004, 09:26 PM
BMatthews

ORIGINAL: ajcoholic

Now now CP - you gonna' get a few Tennessee boys mad at you!

AJC
Does this mean I'm now an honorary Tennessee'ite?
Old 05-16-2004, 09:45 PM
DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: Larry Driskill

Would someone please hand The Dickiebird a transmitter or Control Handle and take him to the Flying Field?

He is making my 'Readin' Stack' much too tall.
I have to blame this one on that dang lathe! I've been lurking in a couple of machining forums trying to learn a few things and somebody posted those links. I spent hours reading that stuff. I sometimes think in a past life I was involved in WWII aircraft construction or something. Every time I find a website like that or see a show on the History Channel or Discovery Wings channel about a famous aircraft manufacturer, my wife says I go into a trance.

And yes, I definitely need to get out' the shop & smell some nitro & castor burning!

Bruce, how 'bout the the '2800's with the thrust augmenter pipes on the Convair 240-440....they gave a jet style thrust boost that increased the speed at least 10 mph and also helped pull cool air in to cool the engines. I can remember hearing those puppies bellow like a pi$$ed off bull moose on take off...they had a very distinctive (beautiful) racket, to this kids ears back then anyway!
Old 05-16-2004, 10:14 PM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

I've been having a lathe for about 9 years but had only used it about 3 times until i got started reading this forum lately. I've been interested in the speed planes and have recently started my mini-dust project. Today I dusted off the lathe and oiled it up. Here is phase one of my rear exhaust norvel conversion....It ran great in the test stand. Now on to making the header for the tuned pipe....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31032.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	133005   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76236.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	133006  
Old 05-17-2004, 06:25 AM
ajcoholic

cool!

AJC
Old 05-17-2004, 07:31 AM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another interesting one to add to the file....

I work for one of the world's largest diesel engine manufacturers, and a perk I have enjoyed from time to time was seeing what 'unofficially sponsored' hot rodders were doing with our engines. A recent favorite was a Bonneville Salt Flats Record setting Class 8 truck powered by two of our engines at once. It used an all original header design which used several turbos at once. It used a couple of turbos blowing into the next set of turbos to multiply the boost many times over. The power figures were truly astounding. However, when he fired it up, it was almost quiet because of the muffling effect of the multiple turbos.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

CB,

No you have it all wrong....us Cox boys have the machine gear so we can detune our engines so you Norvel boys won't feel bad when our 50/60's designed engines blows yours away.

Later,
Tim
Old 05-17-2004, 09:32 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this mean I'm now an honorary Tennessee'ite?
that would be Tennessee'an
Old 05-17-2004, 11:22 AM
ajcoholic

certainly... I consider myself one as well!

AJC
Old 05-17-2004, 11:37 AM
BMatthews

ORIGINAL: DICKEYBIRD

....Bruce, how 'bout the the '2800's with the thrust augmenter pipes on the Convair 240-440....they gave a jet style thrust boost that increased the speed at least 10 mph and also helped pull cool air in to cool the engines. I can remember hearing those puppies bellow like a pi$$ed off bull moose on take off...they had a very distinctive (beautiful) racket, to this kids ears back then anyway!
This reminded me that I also read somewhere that the cowl flaps on one or two of the last generation radial powered planes were actually able to be set so that the heated air from the engines actually had a thrust effect. Perhaps it was with the last generation of prop airliners or it may have been the B 29 and first post war designs? I know the Mustang used to get some jet effect from the belly radiator when the rear dump door was set correctly.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:15 PM
combatpigg

Does this mean that I will NEVER be able to show my face in TENNESSEE? I'll bet there are a few MATHENYs there already in your midst, so you guys better be careful if you leave your field gear unattended [8D]!
Old 05-17-2004, 05:51 PM
mclintock

Here's a more simple lathe project-
It looks like the carb (a concentric?)I saw in an old triumph motorcycle service manual I once had, only much simpler..

The images are blatantly stolen from an auction on 'bay-

Looks perhaps easy to build, maybe easier than a normal carb?

Maybe I shouldda started another thread.. but the title of the thread fits!
It looks like a capped tube in place of the venturi horn, with a hole drilled in the side, with another larger tube on it as a sleeve, so when it turns the hole in the sleeve can cover or not the hole in the inner venturi tube. Sort of an exaust sleeve rig on the other end I guess..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21462.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	133387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77937.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	133388   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28640.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	19.7 KB