Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Radial engine cowling

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Radial engine cowling

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 06:06 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radial engine cowling

Back when, I cut off the bottom of a plastic mustard jar to make a small cowling for a model A/C. The supermarket still stocks the brand, but their plastic jars do not come in that diameter. Same quantity of mustard, but the jar is now taller and thinner. Am not sure if the new plastic jars will take the heat either.

Anyone have a suggestion for a smooth plastic radial cowling of about 4 to 4.5 inches diameter?

I found some time ago, the soda pop bottles do not like the fuel.

Wm.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:43 PM
matchlessaero

Default RE: Radial engine cowling

Wm. check last month's issue of Flying Models magazine. There is a wonderful article in that edition describing the molding of pop bottles for cowlings and canopies by Milton Dickey.

I have used his method, and can vouch that the pop bottles can stand fuel all the way up to half-a nitro fuel levels.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:09 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next time you're in the housewares section, check out the toilet brushes. There are some that come with a bowl to stick the brush into rather than the plastic stand. My wife bought several at the dollar store for cleaning her horses water buckets and I noted the intriguing shape and size of these bases and cabbaged onto 'em. They're a tad heavy, but they should stand up well to a hard landing or nose-over, and when cut to fit, they're not bad. And the pocket shape could be utilized for ducting the airflow closely around the motor.

I just went out and measured one and the front end outside diameter is 4.125", rear diameter is 4.375", and the length is 3.250". Inside diameter of the front is 3.125", and depth of the cupped brush holder section is 2.875". The wall thickness is about .060"
Old 06-06-2004, 09:06 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Doug:

I had never thought to go down that aisle looking for one. If your dimensions are correct, It ought to slip right on.

Going to store tomorrow.

Thx.

Wm.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:31 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

Doug:

I had never thought to go down that aisle looking for one. If your dimensions are correct, It ought to slip right on.

Going to store tomorrow.

Thx.

Wm.

Well, did you find one?