Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox fuel in norvel?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox fuel in norvel?

Old 06-14-2004, 05:49 PM
RYANO218

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox fuel in norvel?

Okay, i have been trying to get my norvel .061 started on norvel 25% fuel but no matter what i do i just cant get this thing to fire! not even pop! I have had the fuel for about 3 years and it looks like it has been leaking, and alot of it has evaporated from the container. So i think the fuel might be bad. I have some perfectly good cox super power fuel that i could use in it, I have heard that norvel plugs burn out easily with some types of fuel, but is cox fuel okay to use?
Old 06-14-2004, 06:08 PM
XJet
Banned

Default RE: Cox fuel in norvel?

Even fairly stale fuel should produce a pop or two.

What are you using for a glowplug connector?

I was using croc clips and made the silly mistake of connecting one to the engine mounting bolts and the other to the glowplug center electrode -- this *won't* work -- because the cylinder is anodized and the anodizing acts as a very effective electrical insulator. If you're using croc-clips, make sure you are connecting the earth to the aluminum head itself.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:30 PM
RYANO218

I am either using a rechargeable locking glowplug igniter, or a cox battery box with a locking glow clip on it.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:05 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ryan:

To answer your original question. Cox engines and the Norvels both have plain bearing cranks, and thus have similar lubrication needs. No reason not to use the Cox fuel.

And contrary to Xjet's post, fuel can get to the point it wont even pop. If the level in your can has gone down far enough to notice, it would probably put a fire out if you threw it on, rather than making it blaze up. If youor Cox fuel is also three years old, it might not work either. Best would be just getting fresh fuel.

Bill.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:33 PM
jessiej

Dang, in the US of A we have aligator clips and a ground. Them crocodiles and earths sound dangerous![X(]

Jess

PS other than that your post made perfect sense
Old 06-14-2004, 10:29 PM
cali_dream

Cox fuel works great in NORVEL engines. Fuel gets worse with age, though. Not only can plastic bottles, caps, etc. leak very slightly, but the volatile chemicals on the fuel degrade over time. Old fuel is not worth the effort and time, in my opinion, and 3 years is quite old. It could work, but it will unlikely work as well as something fresh.

For "non 1/2A" fuel, we've always had good luck with wildcat, omega, and sig fuels. Norvel fuel works well, too, of course.

Good luck,
Ed
Old 06-15-2004, 08:17 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RYAN0218,

I'd check for glow first.

Fuel: You can check the NORVEL site. They have fuels (including their NVX) they have tested and recommend, but more importantly, they have fuels to avoid (and why).

George