Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

My .049 Norvel has turned into a .........

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

My .049 Norvel has turned into a .........

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 09:15 PM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My .049 Norvel has turned into a .........

SCREAMING DEMON!.....I'm still in shock......How can it haul my Extra that fast? Its just a .049! [X(]
For the past few days it would run ok for two or three minutes then start to slow down then die. I fooled with the fuel lines thinking it wasn't getting enough fuel.
I was running the 6x3 Master Airscrew prop which I thought was fine. Well.... I got to thinking after I put the TD on the plane, that maybe the Norvel was overheating with the 6x3 prop and 16% castor oil fuel.
I changed the engine back to the Norvel, mixed in more castor to make it 20%, and changed prop to the Cox 5x3 "rubber ducky"...
The engine changed from a quiet purring kitten to a Screaming Demon!!!
I put one and a half ounces of fuel in the tank and it ran for 12 minutes without a change in rpms, until it was out of fuel. I just flew it three times and every run was awesome! It must be pulling near 65-70 mph...
The engine is so much cooler too...I can touch it right after landing and its not warm at all. YEEE...HAAA!!

So here is the sweet set-up... 5x3 Cox prop, Byron's fuel 25% nitro with 20% castor, this brings the nitro content down to 23%
Old 06-15-2004, 09:29 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Default RE: My .049 Norvel has turned into a .........

Lynn,

Yup that sounds right. A Norvel can't swing the bigger wood a Cox can. But boy they sure can haul the mail once they are happy! Sounds like you are having fun.

Later,
Tim
Old 06-16-2004, 12:20 AM
Lynn S

ORIGINAL: Tim Wiltse-RCU

Lynn,

Yup that sounds right. A Norvel can't swing the bigger wood a Cox can. But boy they sure can haul the mail once they are happy! Sounds like you are having fun.

Later,
Tim

Tim,
I had get on another computer to reply, my firewall won't let me post on my other computer. This is my daughters old laptop......
I'll get a tach reading tomorrow, the TD was running hot so that made me think the lack of enough castor was the problem and the larger prop was part of the problem on the Norvel too.
Yes, this is FUN!! This is a great little engine!
Old 06-16-2004, 09:39 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Glad to hear it. I have 4 of the .049s, but haven't run one yet, but am putting one in a Goldberg Ranger 42 I'm finally getting ready to fly, and wasn't sure what prop to use. I have at least a dozen 5X3 and 5X4 Cox black, and even a few grays. I grab every cox prop I can find. Wish those gray props were available again, with the new popularity of these small planes, they'd sell like hotcakes.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:53 AM
Lynn S

Doug,
Just make sure you use fuel with 20% castor, the 5x3 is perfect...I had no problem with the launch. Dickeybird is a strong believer in the rubber ducky 5x3 cox. This is a control line engine, and I haven't missed the throttle at all! - Lynn

Edit: I put the tach on Norvel .049 and it looks like its turning 16,600 with the 5x3. It was turning 14,200 with the 6x3. I didn't try adjusting the needle, this is where it was set the other day. I also checked a Black Widow with the same 5x3 prop and it turned 15,500, not bad but its hard to get the needle set right. I don't have the TD/Black Widow mounted on anything it would probably turn around 16,000

I can't say enough about this little engine. I just put in four more flawless flights this afternoon. This is the best investment I have made since I have returned to flying. This engine is so smooth and steady with its rpms. It is delivering power equal to my AP .061.
I don't miss the throttle at all, you just have to measure fuel with a syringe to adjust the run time. I will probably get brave and try the AME .061 soon, but the little .049 has been a blast. It just took a few days to figure out it needed a 5x3 prop and 20% castor oil.
I ordered two more .049s, the $27 price is too good to pass up.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:28 AM
DesignMan

Norvels like small props when dieselized too! I can run a 7x5 on my MP-Jet .061, but the Norvel/RJL diesel .061 can't handle it at all. I switched to a Master Airscrew 6x4, and it is very happy. BTW, I am running crankcase pressure. You have to believe this is an unusual setup!
Old 06-16-2004, 11:56 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Russian high speed diesels....cool! I've always been fascinated by the 2.5 cc (.15) FAI team race diesel engines I read about in M.A. I would love to know what's inside those puppies. They go REAL fast and get great mileage. Must be some magic stuff inside them!
Old 06-16-2004, 12:22 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Pure RUSSIAN VODKA. Norv (hick-up) Norva (hick-up) Russian engines love it.!.!.!