"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

K&B Torpedo (Greenhead) .09 engines

Old 01-14-2018, 04:52 PM
GallopingGhostler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher View Post
My Torpedo 19 doing it's thing. Some one gave it to me when I was 12 (that was 59 years ago) I run my plane bearing engines on methanol and 30% castor oil no nitro. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAEEZkL13cM

Nice plane, good build and I'm sure the grandkids are going to love it. Some put the left hand Torpedo's on the left inboard side of the fuselage so exhaust is down off the fingers and needle valve is located where it is easier to get to, still leave the tank on the right, will still feed proper.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:53 PM
gmeyers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by gmeyers View Post
I have stainless steel allen head bolts in most SAE sizes and some Metric. I will get back to you with your info shortly. I try to always keep the old bolts when I change them out because of resale value of the engine - some folks are picky.
I have several K&B's but only two greenheads - a 40 and 35. they both have different bolt patterns but they do both take 4/40 bolts I also have a newer version .28 takes 4/40 bolts but uses allen heads vs slotted of others. I have a .15 also but it won't let me take the bolts out - frozen in place but they have smaller headed screws. The 4-40 is a common size so finding them locally won't be a problem for you. My newer aero, duct fan and marine engines all use allen 4/40 too. Length of your screws may be a problem I have one similar to the .23 you have that uses 2 long screws (front and rear of head) then 4 short ones. I'd get some from MICRO FASTENERS who always seems to have good inventory and ships promptly.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:49 PM
GREG DOE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Greenhead .15RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHH Dan, I have a few Greenhead Torpedo/K&B's. I just recently picked up a Greenhead 15 RC. Unfortunately it was lacking the carb. Trying to find a carb for it. Any suggestions?

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
earlyrcmodels.com
If you happen to run across a carb for your greenhead .15 RC - just wrap it carefully in bubble wrap and send it to me - I would have a use for it too..
By the way I think it is a cute little engine - somehow cuter than most of the other small engines.__________________
---- HMMM ---- Thinkin - just thinkin!
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my recollection of the K&B 15 Green Head that was marketed for an RC application had two needle valves, and not an "RC carburetor" as we now know as such. As I recall it had a venturi insert for the second needle, but that was a lot of years ago? I can only guess from the inquiry that Bob Harris has an engine that has had the venturi cut off, so some other brand of carburetor could be adapted? I had one of the dual needle valve 15's in the late 50's, but only flew it on controline airplanes.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:02 PM
GallopingGhostler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 2 speed "carburetors" came about in the infancy of R/C, when proportional control was very expensive. Throttle on single channel escapements and even proportional was basically full throttle and idle or somewhere between, only two settings. Throttle was a temporary push switch on the transmitter, sometimes call quick blip throttle, because you simply quickly clicked it, engine would drop from full power to idle. Another quick blip of the throttle button would toggle it back to full throttle. You did it quick blip, because otherwise on escapement systems it might think you were giving it a rudder command. On analogue proportional systems, it could affect the other controls.

I even remember back in the late 1960's / early 1970's that Ace R/C had a quick blip throttle circuit that could be added to single channel R/C, and another for proportional say 2 channel R/C. By then, the two speed needle carburetors were gone and one would use a standard R/C engine.

Back in 1978, I bought perhaps the last cycle of Ace R/C's Pulse Commander rudder only system, this time on then "modern" wide band 72 MHz, with Adams Stomper magnetic actuator (their most powerful, said to handle up to mild .15 size aircraft) and with a KRD sequential throttle servo. Transmitter was modified with a temporary push button throttle switch. It would cycle the throttle from high to medium to idle back to high. Speaking of simplicity with half A and A sized aircraft, I had a blast flying this mode. I had this radio on a Ken Willard Top Flite 39" (990mm) R/C Schoolmaster cabin with a 1966 OS Max .10R/C engine. A bit powerful for a .049 plane, on full throttle it would climb out at a 45 degrees, on medium it flew like it would with a .049 with a mild climb, and on idle it was a blast to bring it down for touch and goes. Plane would stunt like crazy with the engine doing the rudder only aerobatics.

Sorry for deviating a little off topic. Although I fly multi today, I still at times long for the simpler times and the fun doing it.