Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Way to go SpinDR

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 08:46 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Way to go SpinDR

Big congrats to Brian 'SpinDR' Pate! His great flying little Spin Doctor Half-A powered AutoGyro is a featured construction article in Flying Models magazine. What a thrill- Getting a great looking/flying/building plane-like-thing in the best modeling magazine!

Way to go Brian!
Old 06-25-2004, 07:44 AM
prole
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Way to go SpinDR

Yeah, that was another Killer article!!!

and I hate to say anything becuase I don't want to Jinx it but we 1/2a-ers have been doing really well in Flying Models latey. Weather it be CL or RC there has been something good to look at almost every month since Dickeybirds first article. I was floored when April came with the really pretty Skaliwag Bipe and the 1/2a Grassroots C/L trainer. We've had 3 great articles from our local guru Dickeybird and now the Spin Doctor.

I think we should all drop an email to Frank Fanelli thanking him for all the great 1/2a reading. You know there is a good bunch of us here, I think if we all put our minds to it we could make editiors of Magazines like FlyRC and Model Aviation, ones that arent too far gone, realize that there is a hungry and unfulfilled customer base for 1/2a.

Frank Fanelli - [email protected]

sorry to ramble....

timothy
Old 06-25-2004, 08:24 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Yup, he couldn't even spell "Famous Flying Gizmo Designer/Author" and now he are one! He let his FM magazine subscription expire last year and has been bugging the heck out of me the past couple weeks to see if my August issue had come in yet. It finally came in Wed. and when I called him, he showed up in my driveway in about 1 min flat with the tires on his Explorer still smoking. I've never seen him move so quick! Excited? Naaahh.

The article and pics really came out great but the CAD plan I drew up came through with the lettering size too small! You gotta read it with a magnifying glass. Oh well, I'll do better next time.

We missed you at the field Sun. Jeremy. We went out and flew for a few hours before the F1 & Nascar races started. We even converted the Spin Doctor back to Mode 1 and Brian flew it around a while. That thing still amazes me every time I see it fly.

Now that he's got a cover shot, (the profile P-26) the shot of that cover that appears monthly on the back issues order page and now this published article, his head's gonna be so big he'll have to buy all new hats! Next thing you know, he'll quit just lurking around here and actually post somethin'!
Old 06-25-2004, 08:42 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Frank F. lives about 10 miles away from me, and is a member of the club I fly at. Matter of fact, FM is published in my town. I hope I run into him at the field soon, because I want to personally thank him for all the good stuff they've published lately (and prod him to keep publishing more 1/2a stuff). BTW, I didn't get to read the SpinDR article, but DB, I really enjoyed the Tee Dee mod article and the BadaBing! article--send more of your stuff to Frank!
Old 06-25-2004, 09:53 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Hey, thanks Matt! I'm glad you enjoyed the articles and really appreciate your kind words.

Frank is very supportive of the 1/2A world and the S.M.A.L.L. movement and we should all try to show him our appreciation. The model airplane magazine pickings are pretty slim these days when it comes to small I.C. powered original design construction articles. I try to contribute as many articles as spare time allows. I just wish I was more efficient at the article/pictures/CAD-plan process. It seems like it takes me forever to finish one. Frank's been good-naturedly nagging me to send in a construction article on the BadaBing since he 1st saw it at the Maumelle S.M.A.L.L. event way back in 2000! Once a new plane is finished and test-flown, I have to force myself to go back and put all the stuff together to do an article....I'd much rather be designing and building something new.

Hopefully, over the next year or two you'll see FM articles on the little .020 biplane "Stealth Camel", the "Twin Lizzie" and the "Gyrator." I work on one of them in my spare time 'til my eyes cross and I'm ready to pitch the thing into the garbage, then switch to another one that seems less tedious to work on, then another, etc., etc. I'll send in whichever one is finished 1st.

If you see Frank at your club field, say hi for me & tell him to get better so he can make it to Little Rock next year. We all missed him very much this year.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:19 PM
DICKEYBIRD

For those that don't subscribe to Flying Models, here's a few pics to show you what a Spin Doctor is.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70497.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	147636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59142.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	147637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66722.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	147638  
Old 02-26-2005, 07:26 AM
Frogman1195
My Feedback: (2)

Do you know if anyone sells a kit for these? If not, where can I get a set of plans?

Thanks

Dave
Old 02-26-2005, 09:32 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Hello Dave,

No kits are available for the Spin Doctor but the plans are available from Flying Models Magazine. Go to http://www.flying-models.com/ click on "Plans Directory," then go to pg. 51 and thar she blows! $8.00 plus shipping.

Brian is my BOFB and for a nominal fee, I'll get him to autograph it for you!
Old 02-26-2005, 03:56 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Dickeybird,, what is the CF number of the plan? the headings change each time you click them, ie its not on page 51 on my computer...Rog
Old 02-26-2005, 04:15 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Oops, I forgot I sorted by author name then it's pg. 51. The plan is #CD231
Old 02-26-2005, 04:33 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Well, I'm lazy but I did manage to find it, by plan number its on page 17 yeah CD231...Rog