Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

some news for my 1/2A RCU friends...

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

some news for my 1/2A RCU friends...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 06:32 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default some news for my 1/2A RCU friends...

Hey guys,
I have some news to share with you about something thats been in the works with me for many months now, but I did'nt want to say anything untill now..

As many of you know, I love this hobby a lot, and have been especially fond of running and working on engines. I was fortunate enough to get recommended to Tom Atwood, the editor of the magazine FLY RC, back in February as a prospective writer and engine reviewer. At this years' Toledo show, I had a meeting with Tom and he said he agreed to give me a shot. Over the last two months I performed and submitted a few engine reviews, they liked what I did and they hired me on as a full time writer!

Needless to say, it is a dream come true for me. SOmething I have dreamt of doing since I was a kid - but never thinking someday it would ever be a realistic goal. I dont know what exactly the future will bring, but I am so excited I cant even begin to explain how much!

My first review is going to be in the Sept. issue of the magazine, which hits the newstands mid July. Only two weeks away! Please be kind...

And someone by the name of "CP" thought I didnt have any more spare time.... HA!

Just means I dont have as much time for my other modeling projects, thats all.

And I can say 100% my reviews will all be truthfull and as I saw it. Nothing sugar coated, believe me.

AJC
Old 06-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: some news for my 1/2A RCU friends...

Congratulations, A.J
I`ll look out for a copy just so I can tell others, hey, I know this guy!

j.m
Old 06-30-2004, 06:43 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Congrats AJ, thats great, I got one article printed one time and that was enough for me..so does this mean we will see something besides electric park flyers and .40 trainers? maybe a bit of the 1/2a fun we all know and love?..Rog

Maybe you can get the scoop on the new norvel now!!
Old 06-30-2004, 06:44 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great! Let me be the first to congratulate you. Now maybe you can use your prestigious position to influence the powers that be at Estes to revive the manufacture of the Cox gray propellers...
Old 06-30-2004, 08:07 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations!

I've seen the mag on the shelves, but now I have a good reason to buy it.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:30 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

That's awesome! I have always thought it would be so cool to be published. I think it will be interesting to read some honest reviews rather than the always favorable stuff you typically see. Congratulations!
Old 06-30-2004, 08:35 PM
ajcoholic

Seriously, before this came about, I picked up a copy of the magazine (around Christmas time) and I was most impressed by the layout and photography. I became a subscriber a few months before I was asked about the possibility of doing reviews.

I have allready asked about the possibility of reviewing some of the smaller engines, and the editors were most receptive. I can only tell you guys I will do my best to get some 1/2A coverage in the future

AJC
Old 06-30-2004, 09:47 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Outstanding Andrew!!!

I don't subscribe, but your having an article published there is certainly incentive enough for me to find a copy on the shelf. Given all the talent on this forum, I'm going to have to start writing down all the good stuff before I forget most of it. At least I can reread your reviews.

the "other" Andrew
Old 06-30-2004, 10:47 PM
matchlessaero

Congrats AJ!!! I look forward to reading the articles. I liked that mag before, and even more now
Old 06-30-2004, 10:55 PM
Larry Driskill

Super! I am glad your talents will see print and be there for folks who are not online.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:04 AM
MyWay

ORIGINAL: ajcoholic

Hey guys,
I have some news to share with you about something thats been in the works with me for many months now, but I did'nt want to say anything untill now..

As many of you know, I love this hobby a lot, and have been especially fond of running and working on engines. I was fortunate enough to get recommended to Tom Atwood, the editor of the magazine FLY RC, back in February as a prospective writer and engine reviewer. At this years' Toledo show, I had a meeting with Tom and he said he agreed to give me a shot. Over the last two months I performed and submitted a few engine reviews, they liked what I did and they hired me on as a full time writer!

Needless to say, it is a dream come true for me. SOmething I have dreamt of doing since I was a kid - but never thinking someday it would ever be a realistic goal. I dont know what exactly the future will bring, but I am so excited I cant even begin to explain how much!

My first review is going to be in the Sept. issue of the magazine, which hits the newstands mid July. Only two weeks away! Please be kind...

And someone by the name of "CP" thought I didnt have any more spare time.... HA!

Just means I dont have as much time for my other modeling projects, thats all.

And I can say 100% my reviews will all be truthfull and as I saw it. Nothing sugar coated, believe me.

AJC
Good luck. Hope the editors see it your way.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:01 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That's great AJ... or I suppose I should say MR AJ now. I'll look forward to reading your stuff. I've bought a few issues of Fly RC and it's got a lot of nice interesting stuff for the small model enthusiast.

... er.... can I have your autograph sir?
Old 07-01-2004, 03:48 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That is AWESOME news AJ! I bet you will get swamped with engines that need reviewing. One key element of every review that is missing is the random selection of the engine itself that is to be reviewed. I think the engine to be reviewed should be taken from a random purchase at the LHS, not some blueprinted, hand fitted and massaged specimen. The other thing that is missing from engine reviews is actual inflight testing and evaluation. Little things like inflight throttle response, max thrust output and behavior during inflight extremes are important things to know. I don't see how a guy can do a decent review without spending at least a weekend flying the test engine. I don't know how you can be totally honest without pissing off advertisers, but that will be your tight rope to walk. Here's to a long and happy career with the magazine![8D]
Old 07-01-2004, 07:20 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Way to go AJ! The magazine chose wisely and is fortunate to have a fine feller like you on board. Here's to you (raising glass as I say this) and may it always be fun for you!

Oh, and don't forget your ol' buddies now that you're famous!
Old 07-01-2004, 07:35 AM
ajcoholic

CP, just wait and see - you hit the nail on the head in many ways. I cant say too much before the first one comes out, but I can say that Tom Atwood is a straight shooter, who I believe really wants to print the truth and nothing but, and would expect nothing from me but the truth in what I find out. You know I am not one to say anything thats not true - and I assure you the reviews will be the same.

As for taking an engine review to the "next level" - thats exactly what me and Tom have planned for FLY RC regarding engine reviews. Much more than just bench running, actual "real world" use and results.

Like I said, I have been a busy boy and it looks like things will only get worse! (or is that better?)

AJC

OH yeah Dickeybird, what you talkin' about!! "Mr. Flying Models" the guys are all calling you now..
Old 07-01-2004, 07:51 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Mr AJ, I read over your post again, as I usually have to do and saw where you said engine reviews,,and I was automatically thinking 1/2a planes..FLY RC is the only subscription I have too except the AMA publication...I know that park flyers are hot and lots of people begin there, and lets face it they are whats selling..seems to me that the natural tendency is to fly faster, longer by either more electric power or small glow power... it seems that electric is winning that little battle though,,,Maybe Matchlessaero , or another member would donate a 1/2a glow plan,, alot of the free pullout plans are of small electric planes and thats fine, just something for us little glow guys ("come on throw me a bone ,here ")..there is a lot of talent here,,geez, look who I'm telling that too...the winner himself...anyway..beginners seem to have 2 choices either parkflyers or .40 trainers...glad you got the job man, you deserve it....Rog
Old 07-01-2004, 08:13 AM
cortacesped

Congratulations AJ !!! That´s great, You really deserve it. Enjoy it !! . Regards.

Claudio
Old 07-01-2004, 09:03 AM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Congrats AJ. I hope you find the time to keep it fun. I will have to search for that mag around here, but I WILL find it and read your article. Like someone already said, I can read it and say..."Hay, I know that dude"!!!....sort-of.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:17 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Andrew:

My very best wishes go to you in your new endeavor. I have been favorably impressed with everything I've seen you do.

The same can not be said of "Fly RC" magazine. I got the first (sample) issue and sent the bill back marked "Cancel."

All the puff pieces were written by one of two people, and the same name was listed as "Test Pilot" for all of them. But I'll look for a copy with your name on it and try it again. Hope the mag has improved in ways other than adding you to the writing staff.

Bill.

PS: How's that for removing the "Sugar coating?" Haw. wr.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:34 AM
mvigod
Banned

I'll have to have a talk with Tom as he obviously has made a mistake hiring you! Just kidding Congratulations and look forward to reading your stuff in the magazine!

marc
Old 07-01-2004, 11:31 AM
ajcoholic

Bill,
I know you didnt care for the magazine, I read all the threads regarding it when it first came out, and long before I got involved. Hey, you cant please everyone, right? I am but one guy, and all I can do is my best. I certainly will try really, really hard to write an honest, real-world report on every engine I get the opportunity to run. Thats all I can do, right?

Thanks Marc. I sent you a PM a little while ago about not receiving any notices from RCU for about a month now... any chance you can look at my account and see if something got changed by accident? Bill was trying to help me out, but its still not fixed...
Old 07-01-2004, 11:40 AM
mvigod
Banned

Yes..I remember the email issue. I am still convinced it is your spam blocker. do you have any other email accounts you could try for RCU just to see if they are in fact getting sent? if you try a yahoo email or something for a few days I bet it receives the notices.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:19 PM
Dan Vincent

Andrew,

Great to hear your news. You will probably find yourself very busy. Once you start writing other things will come up.

Don't worry about people thinking you are showing favoritism...I never had anyone tell me to push a certain product or ignore another. Most, if not all, Editors want truth in their reporters.

At least we can fall back on the "Instant" nature of digital photography and the internet for mailing in articles and pictures. Sure makes deadlines or last minute changes easier to deal with. If you ever write for Engilish magazines the ability to e-mail text and pictures will save you a lot of time and money.

Back in the old days you took pictures as you went and then waited for them to be developed. If something wasn't right you had to reshoot.

I'll be looking forward to your columns. Now I have to find a store that sells that magazine....

Dan
Old 07-01-2004, 02:33 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I remember looking at the first issues of Fly RC and thinking that it needed to grow. It WAS quit the fluffy rag in it's early days in catering almost exclusively to the ARF crowd. Recent issues have gotten much better and I've seen enough of worth to pick up about every second issue now. I guess adding AJ to the staff is part of the move up the ladder.

Was that good enough to get your autograph Mr AJ sir? ....
Old 07-01-2004, 03:13 PM
ajcoholic

Bruce, you can have as many as you want... I wont even charge you! HA!

Dan, I have to take this one step at a time... I am allready cutting out some of my other personal projects to free up time, and unless I win some lottery money and can stop working, I wont be looking for any more workload anytime soon.

I remember a wise man telling us on here not long ago, how writing articles for a magazine takes a lot of time... well I understand that now! Smart man, that fellow... think his name was Dickeybird or something like that

AJC

PS Marc, I didnt know I have a spam blocker? Maybe my ISP did something? I know I didnt...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.