Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Midget Cavu.....gonna build one!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Midget Cavu.....gonna build one!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 10:20 PM
vauxhall

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Midget Cavu.....gonna build one!

I came across this plan on the Earl Stahl plan site {The Plan Page} and it caught my eye.Think it might be ideal for light weight 3 channel and my 0.9 P.A.W. R/C diesel.It is a Ken Willard design from 1938,and is in the Feb 2001 collection. C of G might be a problem ,can any of you engine guru's tell me what an Elf spark ign. engine weighs ? Looks like a big rubber model {at 42" span} doesn't it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76803.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	149467  
Old 07-01-2004, 11:24 PM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Midget Cavu.....gonna build one!

John,

You may know this but Arne Hende' made 105 Elf .097 Replicas.

I don't have a postal scale but comparing the weight with my PAW .09 RC, the PAW feels heavier.

Here are pictures of the Elf repro, this is S/N 09.

Name:	Lj23818.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	149477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63553.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	149478  
Old 07-01-2004, 11:50 PM
vauxhall

Hi Dan , thanks for the speedy reply , I thought you'd be the guy to answer that one . Thats what I wanted to hear , so I'll move the radio gear aft to balance it all up . When I get some free time I'll start cutting balsa . Think I'll need a larger building board too . I 'm looking forward to the test flight . Thats a nice looking engine , I like that mount , I once made an alum. tube one like that for a Fox 19 , and mounted it onto the firewall with rubber blocks . Worked O.K.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:58 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Having done a couple of 1/2A Tecaco's I can assure you that there won't be any problem. Just keep the radio as far foward as you can even if it means making a special hatch or using a false screw on firewall and at worst you'll need to add about 1 oz of nose weight.

The CAVU is a cutie. Best of luck with it.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:11 AM
Dan Vincent

John,

I need to buy a small scale, if I get one I'll let you know the Elf weight.

You could always use an Arden, Atom or other .09 ignition engine. The Elf is pretty light.

Here are four others you might consider for .09 size ignition.

Atom .09
Arden .099
Dragon-16
Miniature Mite .104

Name:	Pm34919.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	149489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81618.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	149490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42190.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	149491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38648.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	149492  
Old 07-02-2004, 12:27 AM
vauxhall

Dan, I think I'll go with the P.A.W.,sparky's haven't been seen around here for quite a while and I've certainly never owned one , actually apart your pics I've never seen one and I'm 56 Y.O. I'd love to get one to play with though . I spent quite a few years tweaking kart engines for a living , so that might help out. .....Hey Bruce , Dan said the P.A.W. is heavier, so I shouldn't need nose weight . If you have a look at that site I mentioned theres a nice snap of K.W. h olding Cavu and wearing a white suit, must have been on his way to see the bank manager afterwards .
Old 07-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Dan Vincent

John,

Engine weight is nothing compared to the Condensor and Batteries needed for ignition.

That's why the Ray Arden glo plug revolutionized performance for smaller engines like the .09.

For old time free flight I believe SAM recognizes the Mills 1.3cc diesel which could save a lot of weight in a smaller model.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:40 PM
BMatthews

The PAW would be a fine option. Dan mention the dreaded C (competition) word. Obviously if you intend to use it for some SAM events you'd do well to check into the local rules. I think I heard that they allow some diesels down your way but I'm sure you can find that out soon enough.

A 0.8 will probalby do fine and a 1.0 will make it a hotrod.

And remember to post up as it's a'building or we won't type at you any more....
Old 07-02-2004, 08:26 PM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vauxhall, (and what a great name, my first car was a '38 Wyvern Tourer ), if you're interested in competing with the CAVU, the Victorian SAM chapter has an excellent web-site at http://members.dcsi.net.au/jtboundy/SAM600/

The CAVU is classed as an antique having been designed in 1938, and is eligible for a number of different events. The web-site has a model recognition feature which shows 3 views of most of the eligible models, plus listings of other SAM chapters in Australia, plus all the rules and whole bunch of other stuff. The NSW chapter is number 1788. If you get along to a SAM meet you will certainly see some sparkies. They're the noisy ones....
Old 07-02-2004, 09:40 PM
vauxhall

Hi johnvb..I'd like to see these things flying,couldn't find any info about when and where they fly in Sydney area. I'm a sport flyer and don't get involved in the competition side of things anymore . By the way , my brother has a '38 Wyvern sedan on club plates , it's great fun to drive . I have a VX-490 and my son has a Viva he's built for historic racing
Old 07-03-2004, 08:16 PM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Paul Farthing is the contact for SAM 1788 the NSW chapter. He's on 02 6364 0264 , or you can email Basil Healy at basnpat*at*tac.com.au to find out the contest calendar, and where there are regular old-timer fliers round your way. Paul lives at Canowindra and if you call him say hi from me. I broke my knee on his property at the SAM champs at Easter.

Far as I know there are old timer fliers at the Hexham Rebels club (http://www.rebelflyingclub.com/club_info.htm), and if you're up Canberra way, let me know and I'll try and organise a few old-timer fliers at the Belconnen club, although I'm not sure any of our guys have a flying sparkie at the moment.

The Wyvern tourer I had was one of those high-school deals - I swapped a Pommy scooter which rejoiced in the name 'Swallow Gadabout' for it. Certainly, as far as names go, I got the better end of the deal. I never got to register the tourer and later I had to sell it due to increasing parental pressure to clean up the yard.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:39 AM
AlphaWhisky

Just came across this thread.

I built a 60" span one of these approx 3 years ago from my own plan developed from a small sketch I acquired, not sure where from, about 20 years ago.

I flew this often as a 3 function sport model powered with an old OS 25 until just recently when I sold it. It was quite fast and surprisingly aerobatic with only rudder and elevator. It could have used more downthrust than I had built-in but otherwise was a little gem.

A couple of R/C modelling friends suggested I should offer my plan to RCM for their consideration but I never got around to that.

I still have the plan and do have some photos I could send to interested parties but don`t know how to post pictures here.

Feel free to contact me direct if you want a picture or more details.

Alan W
Old 07-04-2004, 08:08 AM
Dan Vincent

Alan,

I am amazed at how many Australians and New Zealanders frequent this board...I think it's great that we can share info with all points of the globe in seconds..Welcome to the board.

If you can get your picture into digital form, either with a scanner or digital picture it is very easy to post pictures here.

Down in the lower left corner of the Reply box you will see an "Upload Images" line. Just click it and it will give you a menu. Click on the top "Browse" button and go find your picture.

Click on the pictue and say OK. Wait a little and it will come back with a message that says it loaded successfully.

If you do a "Preview" all you will see is a reference number that your photo is there, you won't actually see the photo until you hit the OK button at the bottom to complete the post.

No...I can't repeat that.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:43 PM
AlphaWhisky

Hi Dan,

I tried all that so hope it works. The sketch I used as a basis for my model was a side elevation about 2" long with a plan of the tailplane overlaying that, but no plan of the wing.

The attached text mentioned the wings were eliptical so I just fudged that. Construction was conventional and I made a small glass cowling for the front.

Alan W

Name:	Ge96763.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	150307  
Old 07-04-2004, 11:17 PM
BMatthews

Alan, in truth your CAVU impression looks better than the original. Ken Willard did not really have a handle on wingtips in the first plan released in the magazines and the wing looks like it's on backwards. Your's looks MUCH better.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:17 AM
AlphaWhisky

Hey,

I`m really into these pictures!

The cabane struts were bent up from 5/8" x 1/8" flat Ali. bar and the wings retained with rubberbands. I debated whether to stay with the original undercarriage setup but I`m pleased I did - it worked just fine.

All in all, a sweet flying little model.

Alan W

Name:	Ig11597.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	150329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69260.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	150330  
Old 07-05-2004, 08:34 AM
Dan Vincent

Alan,

Nice job. Can't miss seeing that one.

Glad the pictures worked out.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:35 AM
vauxhall

Hi AlphaWhisky.....nice looking plane u got there.I might steal that colour scheme,looks good. I downloaded and printed out the plan using Windows Paint prog. Came out on 24 sheets which I trimmed and taped together.Poor mans version of Bipes Tile Print . Heres how the fuselage looks,you got pretty close AlphaWhisky. Much clearer if you click fullsize

Name:	Ki18833.jpg
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	150681  
Old 07-06-2004, 03:59 PM
AlphaWhisky

Hi Vauxhall,

That looks like the original sketch I did my plan from. I seem to recall it appeared as a very small sketch in a club newsletter many years ago and I worked my plan up from there.

The attached picture shows the fuselage elevation. I meant to post it above but pressed the wrong button.......

If you are serious about building one, I could mail you a copy of my plan. It is drawn at 60" span but could easily be reduced. Happy landings,

Alan W

Name:	Om32952.jpg
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	150910