Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 01:37 AM
pro27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox mufflers

Looking for mufflers for the Cox reed valve engines.
Does anyone have a source for these things? I know Cox had the round thingie with the square port and the spring steel slider on it. But what about the ones Tatone made years ago?

Am I subjected to hound ebay until I find something?

OR...... does anyone have a way to just deflect the exhaust from both ports to one outlet. I'd like to use a Fly Quiet pipe on these little gems (for sound quieting purposes).

Short of a machine shop........
Old 07-06-2004, 02:22 AM
bigchap

Default RE: Cox mufflers

it's a pity you don't live in the u.k.,there is a supplier here who does just what you're looking for,i got one for one of my cox motors,he said he had loads of them so if you can get him to send them he is your man.his name is john haytree,he does not have a website, his phone number is 01626 852330-with u.k. country code in front obviously,good hunting.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:31 AM
pro27

Can you post a picture of the one you have to look at?
It would help to know what it looks like.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:14 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does this fellow have an E-mail address perhaps?
Old 07-06-2004, 04:52 AM
bigchap

sorry but i have broken my camera,it is circular and made from aluminium with a single outlet which protrudes about 1/2 inch,to fit it you just remove the cylinder slide it onto the cylinder and refit cylinder,it does quieten my black widow up a lot but does cut revs by about 2,000 rpm but i can live with that,sorry,but john does not have a website.these mufflers are super cheap by the way-£7,which i guess is about $12.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:59 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mark:

It may not help you at all, but here's a picture showing both types Cox has supplied for the 0.049/0.051 engines. The later "Barrel" type was put on the market shortly before the sell-out to Estes, there aren't too many around.

I was never happy with the earlier r/c version engine, getting an idle was a torture from start to finish, and the next day it had to be done again. The later style with the adjustable air bleed is a sweet engine.

I have three of the "Barrel" type, one replaced the earlier engine in the picture, the other two are for a projected twin. They are both new and un run, they both have the "Non-SPI" cylinders.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74880.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	150772  
Old 07-06-2004, 12:30 PM
bigchap

the one at the bottom is the one john supplies.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:36 PM
pro27

The one on the lower pictured engine is the type I'm looking for. I know the exhaust hole can be bored out a little more for better breathing. It's also very light and directionable.

I'm not too woried about the sub induction at this point. With the 4 cylinders I have now, none are the same on the outside, smooth w/4 slit ports, smooth w/2 wide ports, the other 2 have the narrowed lower cylinder with the base being larger that goes against the case. I even have a throttle sleeve, but it won't fit any of them unless I can shim up the cylinder, or grind off the bottom of the sleeve.

Any ways, The mufflers (better termed manifolds) are to be used on non-throttles reed valve engines. Maybe someday, I'll hook up my Ace reed throttle conversion to my BW, but for now...FULL TIME WIDE OPEN............
Old 07-06-2004, 12:55 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mark:

If you are interested, for $30 I'll sell you the lower pictured engine in the box.

Picture attached to verify which engine, and another showing what I paid for it.

Send a PM if you want it.

Bill.

PS: In spite of its having the black carb mount, it's an 0.051. I can out an 0.049 piston and sleeve on it if you'd like. wr.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36285.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	150801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62922.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	150802  
Old 07-06-2004, 01:09 PM
pro27

Bill, interesting.........

will have to check when the wifey gets home. She has the purse strings.