Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Sterling Fokker DR-1 R/C Conversion

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Sterling Fokker DR-1 R/C Conversion

Old 07-07-2004, 08:56 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sterling Fokker DR-1 R/C Conversion

Am ready to start on my Fokker with 23 1/2 inch wingspan. Anything that I should look out for? Will be using my Cannon micro radio using 3 channels. Aileron installation looks pretty daunting with the 3 wings. Sure wish someone made a .035 R/C motor!!!
Old 07-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sterling Fokker DR-1 R/C Conversion

Steve,

The PAW 55 Diesel is an .03ci R/C engine. Bill Cannon used to import the G-Mark line which included this "Hummingbird" .03 R/C.

The G-mark is pretty hard to find and will likely cost a good buck. It's close to the size of a Cox .020.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10306.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	151428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13108.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	151429  
Old 07-07-2004, 11:26 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually I flew the Sterling Fokker d-7 on a Citizenship radio with an se-2 escapement with a Cox 020 pee wee motor with the prop on backwards to hold the power down. It was of course a R/O plane. Of your building any of these planes it pays to keep everything at the minimum weight and keep the speed down. With reduced speed you will find that the rudder is super effective. Ailerons are likely to be more trouble then you really want to go through for very little gain. Dennis
Old 07-08-2004, 04:17 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for years i've been dreaming of a micro size DR-1.
to do away with the hassles of ailerons i'm thinking of using a seperate servo for each elevator half and mixing them as "ailevators". might need more stabilizer span and elevator area for it to work but sure would be easier.

dave
Old 07-08-2004, 05:47 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT

for years i've been dreaming of a micro size DR-1.
to do away with the hassles of ailerons i'm thinking of using a seperate servo for each elevator half and mixing them as "ailevators". might need more stabilizer span and elevator area for it to work but sure would be easier.

dave
I built and flew a Guillows DR 1 when I was stationed in Alaska in the early 60's. It also was a S/C and as I recall it wasn't one of my most successful planes as it was a handful to fly. Noteworthy is that I did fly it on the longest day at Anchorage at about 11:30 pm with no real problem seeing it. Remember that with a Cox 020 it wasn't too hard to control the altitude.
The unrecognized master of the small r/o was Dave Roblin. I watched in awe at his Speery Messinger and Corben Ace with Cox TD010 with throttle sleeve to reduce the power and Albon actuator and Bertent recever at Langley AFB in 1968. He could fly those planes and never get higher then 25 feet it was really something to watch those planes fly. They were profiled in a American Aircraft modeller mag in about 1970.
Dennis