Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Fuel Mixture Calculations

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Fuel Mixture Calculations

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel Mixture Calculations

My LHS carries a limited selection of fuel and hardly any with a high castor oil content -- most were a synthetic/castor mix. Like many of you, I add castor and/or mix fuels to get a desired nitro/oil blend. However, I got tired of guesstimating and also tired of recalculating different fuel ratios and amounts of oil to add. Attached is a link to a simple "whatif" spreadsheet that will allow you to use one or two fuel blends to make up a quart of fuel. After additional castor oil is added, it will give the combined percentages of nitro, total oil and castor content.

Instructions are on the page -- feel free to use and download if you wish.

the "other" Andrew

[link=http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/fuel.htm]Fuel Mixture Calculator[/link]
Old 07-08-2004, 07:23 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Mixture Calculations

Thanks Andrew! I had that site bookmarked on my old computer but lost it when I got my new one last year... forgot about it, untill now.

Its a lot easier than figuring it out on paper

AJC
Old 07-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have Excel, It won't work with Works.

Here is a website with two calculators, one for just adding oil and one for adding nitro and oil.

http://www.nitrorc.com/

click on Fuel Blending Workshop, the calculators are at the bottom of the page
Old 07-09-2004, 02:10 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you want to try the Excel spreadsheet the freeware Open Office is supposed to be able to open it. It's a whole Office suite of apps similar to Microsoft Office.

http://www.openoffice.org/
Old 07-09-2004, 07:25 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

i also use the nitrorc calculator for modifying fuels when im too lazy to find a pen...
as i do fuel in liters i just ignore the oz. measurement and enter the number of CC i'm starting with in the top box

dave
Old 07-09-2004, 09:08 AM
Which_way_is_up

Since we're talking about fuel blends I've got a question for the group. I just ordered and received two .061 Norvels that were on clearance. But I've never used an engine below 15 sized and so I'm concerned about the "correct" mix. I see references to adding additional caster oil to "off the shelf" fuels. I have access to a brand here in Texas called "Ritchie's Brew" and I've used it in my 15 engines. The blend that I've been using is 10% (or 15%) nitro, 22% oil. The oil is 11% syn and 11% caster. Would this fuel work ok in the .061 Norvels? If not, what would be a good blend?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Roy
Old 07-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Lynn S

I have never used synthetic oil in the smaller engines, but I think the 50% Castor/50% synthetic is ok. From what I have read, synthetic oil breaks down under high heat quicker than castor. You can go to the Norvel website and read about fuels.
I use Byron's 1/2 A fuel which is 25% nitro and 16% castor, then I add castor to make it 20%.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:36 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

I also run Sig Champion for the last year (50/50 oil blend) but I have run my 1/2A's on 100% synth also. If you run them rich they do run well, but adding some castor is a good idea.

AJC