Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Norvel selling direct on the e*bay!!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel selling direct on the e*bay!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 08:49 AM
lwr_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel selling direct on the e*bay!!

Norvel is selling on ebay under the ID of "coastprosales". Just picked up a Big Mig .061 for $30.00 and 3 AX40's for under $60.00 each. They post several each week, so be patient and you will get one. My advise is to not bid over $30.00 for the .061 and don't bid over $60.00 for the AX40. Bid in the last few seconds of the auciton and you will eventually be successful.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:48 AM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Norvel selling direct on the e*bay!!

Sounds to me like a bunch of work bench left overs. I wonder if that is true. The prices are good, almost great. I have not heard anything on the 40 yet. Maybe you can post some info when they come in.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2fast4u

Sounds to me like a bunch of work bench left overs. I wonder if that is true.
Hi Chuck --

The engines I have appear to be strictly NIB as advertised -- Coast Pro Sales is cross listed in PayPal as NORVEL, Ltd. and is operated by Ed Stevens (Ed posts in the forum on occasion). I have no idea what contractual agreement exists between NORVEL and SIG Manufacturing, but some of these engines may have been inventory items before SIG began distribution. Or the engines may have been held as replacement stock for warranty work on the west coast. In any event, they show no tool marks beyond the normal manufacturing process and have absolutely no indication of having any run time -- I am very happy with mine (and the price).

I have a couple of the AX-40's, but have not run either. If you have any specific questions, I would be glad to answer if I can.

As a side note, the instruction sheet that shipped with the 40 also covers an AX-25. I've not heard of any of the 25's on the market, so they may be a new offering that will launch sometime this year.

the "other" Andrew
Old 07-28-2004, 12:56 PM
lwr_

These are "New in Box" engines. Never run and in excellent shape. I have not run mine yet, but do plan on putting one of the 40's on a Friday Night Special. As I said in the post above, be patient and don't overbid. You will eventually get an .061 for $30.00 or under and a 40 for $60.00 or under. Also, you get the wrenches with them too. The wrenches are an additional cost anywhere else.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:00 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

That sounds good to me. I surely trust your input. Thanks. As for the AX 25, Ed said they were comming out with something new, but would not say what it was. Sounds like you may have figured it out...[8D]. So are you going to let some of us get an engine or are you going to buy them all up for yourself????? Just kidding.

Thanks for the input. As for questions about the 40...... just wondering how it stacks up with other 40's for power and rpm/prop numbers. You can read a spec sheet all day, but the real #'s come out in the real world. That's all.

Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:20 PM
lwr_

2Fast4u,

I will send you some data as soon as I break mine in. Remember, don't bid more than $30.00 for the .061 and $60.00 for the 40. They have plenty up for auction all the time and you will eventually get one for those prices if you are patient. It helps if you bid in the last few seconds of the auction.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:15 PM
cali_dream

We have done some listings, but it was for a limited number of engines with some minor box defects. The total number of engines was quite a bit less than the number we make in 1/2 a day of production. We might list some more in the future, as we occasionally sell off inventory that dealers wouldn't want, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thanks to all of our supporters out there, the NORVEL AX-40 is building its reputation into perhaps the finest .40 ever produced for the modeler. (If you think weight is important in airplanes :-)

Ed Stevens
NORVEL, Ltd.
www.norvel.com
Old 07-29-2004, 09:20 AM
seancorder
My Feedback: (1)

My Hobby Shop said the norvel .074 was backordered (since the last two months). My edgeling has been waiting for norvels for a long time. Surely this isn't the manufactorer.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:23 PM
Lynn S

ORIGINAL: seancorder

My Hobby Shop said the norvel .074 was backordered (since the last two months). My edgeling has been waiting for norvels for a long time. Surely this isn't the manufactorer.
Check with quantummodels.com . I can usually get an order in two or three days.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: seancorder

You can order directly thru [link=http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=NVLB7R/100.0.1979.1981.0.0.0]NORVEL[/link] -- their site is showing the .074 as being In Stock. They are very good about keeping the site and availability information up to date.

the "other" Andrew
Old 07-29-2004, 10:57 PM
Big Al-RCU

ORIGINAL: cali_dream
.............. it was for a limited number of engines with some minor box defects............
OK guys,quiz time. Here are two of the subject engines. An attaboy to the first pair of eyes to identify the 'box defects'.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90575.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	158839  
Old 07-30-2004, 07:21 AM
SIR-MACK

It looks like the color shading by Norvel is off.
That is what it looks like from here.

Mack
Old 07-30-2004, 07:58 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep the yellow shade is off on the top box and the whole print is left of center on the bottom box by maybe a 1/4 inch or so,,hardly seems to make it unmarketable,I would have bought either one of them off a shelf, ..Rog

put that attaboy in my account will ya it only takes one "oh crap" to wipe out 10 attaboys
Old 07-30-2004, 10:21 AM
Big Al-RCU

Yeah Rog, of course I'm only guessing, but that must be it for the top box. The bottom box also has the end flaps folded in reverse order from the others if that makes any difference(?). To be honest, I hadn't noticed anything at all. When I saw Ed's comment I jokingly asked my wife to 'find the defects' and couldn't believe it when she said, 'Sure the printing is off'. Still not sure if Ed's remark was tongue in cheek or not. Can't believe modelers would be put off by anything that trivial. But it was too good to keep to myself.
al
Old 07-30-2004, 11:32 AM
Lynn S

Al,
My AME did have a tear about 1/3 across the box top. I don't think anyone would care about the box anyway.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:45 AM
flyinrog

Big-Al,,,Marketing is a tricky thing in the retail world, if you see a box of detergent on the shelf with a mushed corner...you wont buy it (more than likely) because the one beside it is perfect...its all in the head..and those are minor glitches to you and me about the norvel boxes..but they have to have a standard of control..besides they probably didnt loose much if anything by selling on ebay...at the dollar store they have boxes of laundry detergent for $1 but not at the grocery store........when the manf. sets up to run a million boxes..as the machines are "running in" the first few thousand may only be 14 oz instead of the 1 pound they advertise..it is least costly to sell cheap to the dollar store than it is to repackage it...thats just how things work around the good ol' USA....got a weed whacker or chainsaw thats broken? just as high$$ to fix as replace now a days
Old 07-31-2004, 09:13 PM
cali_dream

I'm glad we've been able to create such a stir. Norvel has sold direct to consumer since the day we opened our doors. Recently, in the last three years, we engaged Shopatron to help our retailers quite a lot. Since then, we've had our retailers ship five hundred orders or so from our website each year. I think you'll occasionally find more motors on ebay from us, and you'll also occasionally find us doing other interesting things.

I was hoping to create a lot of postings on the forums, because that really helps us get exposure. So, please keep the controversy going!

Best regards,
Ed Stevens
NORVEL, Ltd.
www.norvel.com
Old 07-31-2004, 10:06 PM
flyinrog

Well, Ed , in case you havent been paying attention theres a lot of Norvel talk around here.. I have a pair of .049's an .061 and .074 and a LMH heli .074..gave away the .061 for it..we like em...dont know how the .40AX will do, I wish you well with them but I dont have an interest in owning one,,I guess if the .049 is off the board then there wont be an .020 or .030 ,,cant really blame you for that either, its a limited market..what about plane kits? any more of them on the board?....something to ponder....Rog

almost forgot I have a .15 too
Old 07-31-2004, 10:19 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Yep, we like 'em. I have 4 .049 Big Migs and 6 .074s. And I wish I could find another Tutor kit.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:16 PM
lwr_

ED,

Put some .074's on ebay!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2004, 05:27 AM
Big Al-RCU

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Big-Al,,,Marketing is a tricky thing in the retail world, ..................
Yeah, Rog, that's what I was referring to in sorta a backhanded way. And I think Ed more of less confirms it. Lots of Mfgs offer their products on e*bay to expose them to a broader audience. One I happen to be familiar with occasionally post their products on e*bay and consider it some of their most cost effective advertising. Compared to the price of full page ads in the trade mags it's a no brainer. And likely as not they recoup their cost and sometimes the high bid is actually OVER retail, (but to their credit, they won't charge the bidder more than retail). All in all it's a fine line between effective advertising and risking offending the retailers that might feel the threat of unfair competition from the mfg. In the real world a half dozen units now and again would have a minuscule effect on the LHS sales and the advertising would benefit both him and the mfg.
Just my take,
Al