Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Norvel .061 going to the graveyard - sniff

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel .061 going to the graveyard - sniff

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 07:02 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Norvel .061 going to the graveyard - sniff

My first Norvel .061 has seen it's last flight. It's just plain tired and has no oomph. Poor little guy won't hold compression any more he leaks down to nothing after about a second at the comression stroke. It's been a good little motor though. I had it in a Sig Skyray C/L ship to start with, and it's seen duty in Jeremy Chins Half Wit and finally a Ace Simple 400. I'll bet I have close to a hundred runs on the thing most on a diet of 30% nitro. Goodby old friend. Sniff...

Rrragman
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33210.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	163648  
Old 08-14-2004, 07:26 AM
flyinrog

Default RE: Norvel .061 going to the graveyard - sniff

HOld back the tears man,theres still lots a good parts on that thing the head,carb,muffler needle,plug,shoot try a new piston in it, might be worth it...or set it aside ( in glass of course) just in case you accidently pile drive another one into the tarmac...Rog
Old 08-14-2004, 08:22 AM
cortacesped

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know how hard it must be[&o]. But I can give him a good place to rest in peace here in South America . Regards.

Claudio
Old 08-14-2004, 08:26 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rrragman,
A few comments:
First, have you tried it with less nitro and extra lube (all castor). MIGHT get back some seal.
Second, why not get a new piston/cylinder if that doesn't work? ...or at least try a piston as Rog suggests.
Third, how did it go in the Skyray, since that is much more HP that the Skyray was designed for? I'll bet loops were FAST!

Good luck with it, whatever you decide.

George
Old 08-14-2004, 08:28 AM
Larry Driskill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the case isn't worn out, a new piston and cylinder is $16.90. that should get you at least another hundred flights at 17 cents a flight.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:49 AM
Lynn S

I guess I have a 100 flights on one plane this season, but with different engines, starting out with the TD/Black Widow, .049 Norvel, and now the .061 AME.
That r/c carb cost $25, so it is well worth the overhaul.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:51 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

theres still lots a good parts on that thing the head,carb,muffler needle,plugORIGINAL: flyinrog

SHSHSHSH, Roger, how dare you speak of the dead that way!
Old 08-14-2004, 04:59 PM
rrragmanliam

Third, how did it go in the Skyray, since that is much more HP that the Skyray was designed for? I'll bet loops were FAST!
George, It was a touch heavier than a normal Skyray. As you know the skyray was designed for a reed valve engine. I had to add a tank and I also put some landing gear on it. I ended up flying with 50" lines and yes it was still fast and tight.

HOld back the tears man,theres still lots a good parts on that thing the head,carb,muffler needle,plug,shoot try a new piston in it, might be worth it...or set it aside ( in glass of course) just in case you accidently pile drive another one into the tarmac...Rog
You right ROG I'll probably do somthing with it some day. Right now I have A.061 I just broke in and one NIB. So my " old friend" is just going to the parts pile for now.

Darren
Old 08-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Mopzilla

I think your engine is on life support right now. You should perform some heart surgery! Give it that new piston and sleeve it needs so badly! []
Old 08-16-2004, 06:32 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: fireman7875
theres still lots a good parts on that thing the head,carb,muffler needle,plugORIGINAL: flyinrog
SHSHSHSH, Roger, how dare you speak of the dead that way!
...metal cadavers?

George
Old 08-16-2004, 07:00 AM
Japanman

You might want to check the crankpin for wear- if the crank is in need of replacement, it`S cheaper to get an ame 061 on sale and swap carbs. you could then keep the rest as a bits and pieces engine or have a go at making a rear exhaust engine- when you have a spare case you ain`t got much to lose!

J.M