Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

What is the original Cox Black Widow cylinder?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

What is the original Cox Black Widow cylinder?

Old 08-31-2004, 04:04 PM
loonar_rover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the original Cox Black Widow cylinder?

I just bought what was sold as a Cox Black Widow .049 on eBay. I was expecting it to have two exhaust ports (one on each side of the cylinder) and was surprised when it arrived to find that it had the dual 'slit' exhaust ports (two on each side of the cylinder). I have asked several people what the "real" Black Widows had for exhaust ports and have received answers indicating that they either came with both types of cylinders or that they only came with the large ports (one on each side). If this latter is true, then somewhere in the past of this engine, the cylinder (and probably the piston/con rod) have been changed to a lower performance part and I won't get the performance that the Black Widows were known for. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Old 08-31-2004, 05:36 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is the original Cox Black Widow cylinder?

The older BW's did in fact come with the #1 2 big exhaust ported cylinder. The cylinder with the twin slits on each side really is not that bad of a cylinder. And yes some BW's came with them so it could very well be stock. The real performance is in the porting. As long as it's a twin bypass ported cylinder( ports inside of the cylinder ) it should work real well for you. You will lose alittle without the SPI though.

Later,
Tim
Old 08-31-2004, 05:44 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: What is the original Cox Black Widow cylinder?

Looney:

I doubt that even Roy Cox could say what the "right" cylinder is on a Black Widow. But for what it's worth, I have a Black Widow with the slit exhaust cylinder on it also.

Bill.