Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Poor Fitting Kits

Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Iceman1007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Poor Fitting Kits

If anyone is interested:

I found the plan:
It is offered by the AMA Plans service (I missed it the first time I looked)

http://modelaircraft.org/files/S-revised10-11.pdf

It is plan #11450 and is listed under the name "Super Sonic Transport" It is $15.00 plus $6.00.
Placing my order soon...

Old 11-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish that other kit makers would take a tip from the Herr company. The ones I have seen are really nice. They might cost a bit more but their die cutting is second to none.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay Lifer,
I have the XB-70 kit and its been in my collection of kits to build, for many years. A buddy of mine built his, and made the fuse 1" wide (or so and tappered too) , not just one piece as in the kit, and other little up grades too. It flew great with a TD .049 w/throttle and had an operational forward canard. He stared out with a throttled PeeWee .020, but was underpowered as an R/C model. He put landing gear on the model, a simple fixed gear main, with a stearable nose gear. If my memory is correct, he used the small Cannon servo's and Cannor gear. Its a very unusual model and flies very well.

I've seen pictures of the SST, but never saw one fly...always wanted the kit though.

My longest living little model was a Airtronics QT...Throttled TD .049 and wore out several engines and had it for nearly ten years before it made its final flight.

I built most all my little models in my early life, when $$ was low...and in collage. As I grew up and earned more $$, my models got bigger too. I can see me returning to small models again...for I'm truly unsure of my countries financial future. I'm glad I kept all my small kits and plans...for when I was in the $$$ I bought every small model plan I could. They are now in storage, as they have been for over 25 years...

Great Hobby...

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 11-19-2012, 03:09 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Bobby,

Sounds like you are a "lifer" too! I started at age 7 with free-flight, moved to control-line, and finally radio as a teenager. I'm 57 now, and have about 2 dozen aircraft in the basement. Still have one operational cl and ff models. The B-70 flies great and a lot of the people at the field are suprised when they discover it isn't made of foam.

Still having fun!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Lifer,
Yep...a lot of modelers at our field have never built a kit and wouldn't know where to start either. I am 66 years old and I was raised on Gillows kits, for they were the least expensive kits out there at the time. I too started with U-control Scientific you-build kits, cox plastic cubs and as I got older, built free flight. The 1/2 Blaser, with a Cox Space Hopper .049...great free flight model. I built lots of smaller free flights and after I returned from South East Asia, bought Bonnor, Kraft and Cannon radio gear, over the years. I built and flew the Mini-Bell with a .03 r/c glow and four channel Cannon gear...as well as the QT, an Airtronics kit, with Kraft mini servo's...both great little flying models.

Several B-70's were built at the Basin (I was raised on a farm in San Fernando Valley, in L.A.-thats when it was a farming community), with a couple of the models built up and modified with a fuse-large enough to fit Cannon radio gear, or ultra small Kraft KPS-18 servo's. I bought the kit soon after and I've had it over 35 years. Its still in great shape, and if and when I build it, I'll make a full fuse for it. The best flying B-70 had a working cannard and fixed landing gear. It was a surprisingly good flyer with the TD .049 r/c and four channels.

I built all the H.O.B. WWII mini fighter kits and we would dog fight these each weekend. At that time, these kits were very inexpensive to build and all flew well with a TD .049.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui