Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

GWS Corsair Ailerons?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

GWS Corsair Ailerons?

Old 09-06-2004, 03:28 AM
ashleyhall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Corsair Ailerons?

Hi guys,

Just in process of building the GWS Corsair, its looking great but I've encountered a problem that severely p*ssing me off!!

I'm using a single servo to power the Ailerons, therefore have to route the linkage cable through the wing groove, I've put the 4 pieces of rubber tubing onto the aileron wire, and I'm now trying to glue the 4 plastic pieces in place, however I just cannot get them to fix due to the pressure they're under!!

Has anyone got a better solution for this, other than using 2 servos?

Many thanks!
Old 09-06-2004, 04:41 PM
putt_13
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: GWS Corsair Ailerons?

Hello,
I too just finished building my GWS Corsair. WOW, is that aileron linkage a *female dog*. I too could not get mine to glue all the way down. What I did was just glue the two rubber pieces closest to the servo down, and the other rubber piece right next to the aileron down. I left the one in the middle unglued. That was the one that was causing problems. Even though it isnt glued down, the ailerons still work great. Hope this helps. -Patrick

PS- The pic is of one side of the wing. The blue thing is the servo. You shoudl recognize the linkage. The dark black marks on the linkage are the pieces of tubing I glued down. The hollow one is the one I didnt glue down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32574.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	170856  
Old 09-06-2004, 05:19 PM
ashleyhall

Hi there,

Thank for your reply, right pain in the arse, I've now left the Ailerons till last, in the meantime almost finished the rest, take a look at the attached pic, although my paint job doesn't look too great under artificial light.

Did fit a lookalike Radial engine though as someone else did on this forum, was easy to do and looks the part from the front!!

Let me know how you get on with flying it!! Are you built using stock bits? I'm using the 350 motor, 900mah NIMH. Interested to hear how you find performance, as its the same setup as my Formosa and frankly that floats around like a milk float! It aint no fighter bird yet!!

Cheers, Ash

Name:	Jh15673.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	170864  
Old 09-06-2004, 07:14 PM
putt_13

Hello,
Not bad. I actually converted my GWS Corsair to nitro. I put a .061 in the nose. It is GREAT. It can climb like crazy, and its a blast to fly. Its a VERY AGILE airplane. You will enjoy it. I will take a pic of my airbrushed corsair. -Patrick
Old 09-07-2004, 04:10 AM
ashleyhall

Cool! To be honest I fancy going to a happy medium between electric and nitro, haven't ever flown the smaller nitro engines before, how much would you pay for a 0.61? Any links to some?

Would love to see some pics too, also on how you managed to fit the fuel tank in there!!
Old 09-07-2004, 05:38 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Putt, sounds cool, I would like to see a pic of your bird too...Rog
Old 09-07-2004, 06:56 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ashleyhall

...........how much would you pay for a 0.61? Any links to some?
The [link=http://www.norvel.com]NORVEL[/link] site has .061 images and descriptions -- pricing on the open market will not be appreciably less, if any. However, careful bidding on e*bay will get NIB engines below retail.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:03 AM
ashleyhall

Excellent thanks Andrew, I've got a Piper Cub 6ft wingspan model sat at home waiting to be put together, I'm considering now installing an electric motor into it instead of the suggested 61 size engine - is this realistic, and if so what sort of motor would I need bearing in mind budget?

I have just ordered these which I presume would be suitable for power it?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

Would a Speed 700 be sufficient, I want this thing to have a fair bit of power without going nitro.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:13 PM
flyinrog

uh-oh, decimal problems again...putt has an .061 not a .61 like you would need for the 6ft cub,,I dont know what size electric motor would replace that...Rog
Old 09-07-2004, 12:45 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Nitro Corsair???
Old 09-07-2004, 03:31 PM
putt_13

Hello,
Yup....Nitro corsair. The GWS warbirds make GREAT airframes to convert to nitro. I will take a picture tonight and post it. I dont know if I will be able to shrink it though. My photo software is wacky. Either way, yeah, its a GREAT flyer. My friend is putting a .061 onto a GWS Zero. It should really haul butt when its done. -Patrick
Old 09-07-2004, 03:45 PM
vicman

I have a Mustang that doesn't want to fly. It may be a good candidate/victim.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:51 PM
flyinrog

Vicman, I have seen a crazy max done with an .061 the guy that made it loved it,,I have heard of a few others who have converted various GWS planes but the c max was the only one I actually saw..electric motor/hefty batt pak = engine and fuel tank weight wise...Rog
Old 09-07-2004, 04:54 PM
putt_13

Hello,
It weighs a LOT less than with only a little .061 in teh nose, and a 2oz fuel tank. However, I do have a large hitec Supreme 8 in the fuselage. Once I get a GWS Naro to put into it, it will ROCK! Right now, I am around one pound. I did however add nearly an ounce or two in paint, decals, pilot, etc. It still flies with a LOT more spunk than with an electric motor in it. -Patrick
Old 09-07-2004, 05:53 PM
ashleyhall

Looking forward to the pics dude!
Old 09-07-2004, 05:55 PM
ashleyhall

Relating to my Ailerons, finally managed to glue'em in place, what a headache, can't believe that GWS designed the plane with that, they should have just gone with the 2 servo idea, but I didn't fancy the additional weight, I very much doubt I'll need excessive throws, so I'm sticking with one servo for now.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:09 PM
vicman

Mine came with an added sheet that recomended the two servo method.[:-] The added weight is no big, it flies like a dream. I was wondering what your problem with two servos was. If you are in doubt of how well your one servo set-up is going to work change to two.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:50 PM
ryanrink

I have the 'stang. The fuse is extremely warped. How exactly do you go about converting it to nitro? I might do that if i can get the fuse straight. What keeps the nitro fuel from melting the stryofoam?
Old 09-07-2004, 10:33 PM
putt_13

Hello,
Contrary to popular belief, nitro fuel DOESN'T eat the foam. Everyone asks that question, but no, nitro doesnt eat foam. Also, you just glue a plywood firewall onto the nose, attach an engine, and push in the fuel tank. I will take a pic of all of it and show you. -Patrick
Old 09-08-2004, 04:25 AM
ashleyhall

Surprised that Nitro doesn't melt foam, when virtually everything else does!!

Had to spend last night rebuilding the control lines of my GWS Corsair, went a bit heavy with the epoxy when glueing the tubes through the fuselage, and it seems to have melted the end! Its fine now, learning to be less devastating with the Epoxy, hehe!!

Looking good though, more pics 2nite!

Cheers, Ash
Old 09-08-2004, 06:54 AM
vicman

I thought you might like to see this one Ashley.[8D] Two servos BTW

Name:	Wu61175.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	171336  
Old 09-08-2004, 07:51 AM
ashleyhall

Nice paint job mate, was going to go for something a little brighter but decided to go scale instead, perhaps after the first bump it has, I'll respray!

Tidying it up now, managed to get Ailerons in ok last night, so just adding finishing touches!

Nice to get some landing lights on it, anyone familiar with wiring up LED's etc? Transisters you need etc?

Cheers, Ash
Old 09-08-2004, 08:17 PM
vicman

Nice paint job mate, was going to go for something a little brighter but decided to go scale instead[sm=surprised.gif].

Uhhhmmm. While the full scale Race #92 "Lucky Gallon" FG-1 of Cook Cleland fame had a bubble canopy I thought I was kinda close to the scale paint?
Old 09-10-2004, 03:42 AM
ashleyhall

Well finished it last night and flew it that evening, bit twitchy I have to comment, although it was fairly windy, to the point that I was hurtling downwind, turning into the wind to find it just kinda float there! Other than that, easy to trim out, going to play with my controller to mix in a little rudder when using Ailerons, I presume this plane would prefer to be flown as such.

The Corsair doesn't appear to want to glide...at all! It kind of just halts and then stalls no matter how you engineer the glide path, landing has to be fast.

Primary advice though, unless landing on concrete REMOVE THE PATHETIC WHEELS!! They always cause it flip, you're better off belly landing!!

Otherwise, little underpowered using the standard 350 GWS motor and 8.4v 900mah NIMH pack, really needing to uprate my electric stuff, need more power and the stock kit just can't cut it!!

Anyone else flown the GWS model and agree with the twitchy comments, or is it just mine?
Old 09-10-2004, 06:42 AM
vicman

I agree about the LG, as far as twitchy it IS a small warbird. Definately not for a beginner.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.