Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Mounting RC gear in HalfWit

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Mounting RC gear in HalfWit

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 03:31 AM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting RC gear in HalfWit

Okay, my Halfwit should be finished this weekend but I'm wondering about how everyone else has installed the RC gear.

Have you used bearers for the servos?

How are you retaining the battery and receiver such that they can be removed if/when necessary (a hatch?)

Are those 1/8th front spars adn covering film all that hold the battery/receiver from falling out the bottom in a hard landing or high-G manuver?

I was thinking of sheeting the underside between the center section so as to provide the support I'd have thought necessary. I figure that if I run servo-bearers between the center-ribs (the same ribs that carry the other 1/8" spruce spars) then I could also use the space between these bearers (once the servos are removed) to allow access for the receiver and battery.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:39 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mounting RC gear in HalfWit

X, On my HW I sheeted the wing between the second and third spar w/ 3/32" balsa, cut holes and mounted the servos. I hardened the screw holes with ca and haven't had any problems and I've even tumbled the thing on the ground a couple of times.

For the battery I sheeted the bottom of the wing on one side where I wanted it and installed with doublesided tape and ca. I essentially finished the plane, mocked up everyting to see where the CG was then cut open the covering, sheeted, instaled the bat and re covered. Also you have to make some provision for charging. I used a swich but other guys just had the connector outside the covering.

RX I sheeted between the LE and spar 1 and used velcro.

Radio installation was the toughest part of this one for me. Theres not alot of room in the wing and you have to kind of install and cover at the same time. Once mine was finished the only access to the RX and bat was to cut through the covering. I haven't had to access either.

Good luck

Darren
Old 09-09-2004, 08:13 PM
rrragmanliam

Hey X, I tried to add acouple of pics on an edit. My PC says they uploaded ok but there not int the post. I guess they went into cyberspace somewhere. The old system was fine I don't know why RCU had to screw with it. I'll try to get them posted.

Darren
Old 09-09-2004, 08:19 PM
rrragmanliam

OK X here we go, on the left by the tank is my Bat, and on the right is the rx. both are right up against the LE. I had to do this as the plane was tail heavy with the .061. I endeed up puting a .074 in later and moved the bat back substantialy per my first post.

Darren
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95808.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	171665