Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Electron 6 strange quirk

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Electron 6 strange quirk

Old 09-12-2004, 06:18 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electron 6 strange quirk

The new HiTec Electron 6 I have in the BareCat has been doing strange things since day one and I finally figured it out recently. It's been intermittently going completely nuts with all servos quivering and little response to control inputs. Fortunately, it has never failed in the air (knock on wood!)

Initially I thought it was the 6AS transmitter which has had a crystal change but I finally proved it was OK using it on another airplane. The fault turned out to manifest itself only after the plane sits out in the bright sun for 10 or 15 minutes. I was testing this the other day at home and ironed a patch of chrome MonoKote over the receiver area. Since it's a profile plane covered with transparent blue SoLite, much of the receiver's transparent blue case is exposed to the sun. The chrome patch reflected the sunlight and normal control remained for 20 - 25 minutes so I assume it's the heat buildup and not just the UV rays that causes the problem.

Last weekend at the field I just laid a towel across the wing to protect it and everything was fine all day! I would take the rcvr. out and send it back but it's built into the structure and would require a lot of work to get it out.[] Apparently the cooling effect of the airstream and the constant changes in attitude while flying keeps the heat build-up down and normal control remains.

Anybody else had that problem? It's probably just my bad luck and I got one with a heat sensitive part. I have another one in the Gyrator (also covered in transparent blue) but the rcvr.'s encased in foam. It's always been solid as a rock.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:10 AM
Zeroman

Default RE: Electron 6 strange quirk

Dickeybird, i just bought an Electron 6 for my Stinger 21, but we have winter just around the corner, i won't be able to tell you anything till next year(HP weather).I have a Hitec 555 that had a terrible gliching problem.Lost my Mini Dust twice,luckly both times it crashed in tall grass.Took the receiver apart and with a toothbrush and some alcohol scrubbed the circuit board clean where the servos plug in,I have had no problems since but i will always feel uneasy with this reciever.Chris.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:50 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine would twitch and cause the servos to jitter when the temps were up too. In the morning it was fine and in the later afternoon it was rock solid. In the mid day heat I would not fly. After a crash due to dumb thumbs, I replaced the crystal and it has stopped the mid day jitters.

Dru.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:19 PM
jbford

Try a Berg. It is as stable as the big Futaba receivers, super good range.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Try changing the crystal and if that doesn't work then I'd send it to Hitec for repair or replacement.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:52 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Electron 6 receiver #2 died completely yesterday at the Tullahoma S.M.A.L.L. fly-in! It's in my Gyrator and has performed flawlessly for the 25 or 30 flights it has on it. I bought it new a little over 2 yrs. ago and it's never been crashed, just hangs from the ceiling except for special events.

It did fail in the best way possible however: I started and ran up the engine, set the needle and checked the idle and mid-range....shut everything down, refueled and when I turned the radio back on, nada, zip, zero....nuttin' at all! I'm thinkin' I ain't buying any more of those! I will check the crystal before condemning the rcvr. I'll send it back and see what they'll do for me. Probably nothing.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:41 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

DB,
Let us know how it goes with Hitec. My experience has been that they are fairly responsive (and responsible) in dealing with their product failures.

Arlen
Old 02-11-2005, 08:26 AM
DICKEYBIRD

This morning, I finally got around to checking why the Gyrator rcvr. died at the Tullahoma S.M.A.L.L. I pulled the lower access hatch off and guess what fell out....the crystal! Doh! Apologies to Mr. Hitec!

Apparently it doesn't fit real tight and the engine vibes scooted it right on out. Due to space restrictions, this is the only rcvr. I've mounted with 2 sided foam tape. There's prolly a particular engine rpm where the rcvr. turns into a blur. I better figure out a different way to mount it and tie-strap the crystal in. At least it fell out before I took off![X(] Dunno what I'd have done if the 'Lizz AND the Gyrator had crashed on the same day.[]
Old 02-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Schu
My Feedback: (5)

DB,
I have about eight of those receivers w/o any problems and they all came w/ one or two blue o-rings that were designed to go around the crystal to protect it from the moving around and falling out. Maybe you saw them already- I thought I would say something in case you missed them. Hope this helps. Dale
Old 02-11-2005, 10:29 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Schu
I have about eight of those receivers w/o any problems and they all came w/ one or two blue o-rings that were designed to go around the crystal to protect it from the moving around and falling out.
Same here, but I use a slightly larger rubber band that goes around the Rx and applies light pressure.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:57 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same thing happen with a Hitec 555 in a Littlest Stick because I forgot to put the little rubber booty on the crystal. It turned into a FF model and flew around in circles until the .3oz tank ran out, then it spiralled into the ground from about 150'.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:40 PM
skypupmut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on all my receivers I use protection and a piece of clear scotch tape across it even when rx is wrapped in foam
had one fall out in flight once and that was enough
mds 48 in a 40 shrike full bore into water 45 deg. angle
poofff[sm=thumbdown.gif]
Old 02-12-2005, 06:04 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

I'll second the scotch tape(and the little rubber thingies). I just wrap a piece of tape all the way around the receiver to help hold the crystal in. Never had a problem.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:10 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Thanks fellers, I like simple solutions....a wrap of tape it shall be!