Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Glo Bee Plugs Question

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Glo Bee Plugs Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 02:32 PM
cortacesped

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Glo Bee Plugs Question

I got a Glo Bee plug, to me surprise ( I didn´t know them) it has two parts and the coil isn´t in the same shape that in the regular Cox Plugs. What can you tell me about them and its performance ? Are they made for 1.5 volts. Thanks. Regards

Claudio
Old 09-24-2004, 05:25 PM
mikegordon10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Glo Bee Plugs Question

The GloBee's were a hot little item. They produced more power than the TD Glowheads. I lit mine with a regular NiStarter. They are no longer available so enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Larry Driskill

Nelson makes a GloBee type plug.

The plug will work in heads built for the Nelson HD or STD plugs and uses a screw in 'clamp' to hold it in the head.

The photo has the Nelson GloBee plug, the clamp, and a Galbreath Nelson plug head with the GloBee plug in place.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34692.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	176625  
Old 09-24-2004, 10:17 PM
Larry Driskill

For some reason (Friday Nite after a long week?) the photo is a bit soft on the focus. . .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38592.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	176634  
Old 09-26-2004, 08:47 AM
Larry Driskill

A neat thing about the GloBee type plug is that they eliminate the hole that a normal element is wound in and thus clean up the combustion chamber a bit.

On the other hand, you have a 'flat' with a coil in it in the middle of the head. I am not sure if that hurts or helps the head design. Like many other things with 1/2A engines, the scale of the flat is much larger than it is in a larger engine.

GloBees also need a good starting battery and engines with a GloBee plug are sometimes more difficult to start than with a normal plug.

Finally, because the element hole is gone, the compression ratio is sometimes raised and you may need more head clearance to keep from being over compressed and pre-igniting.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:39 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Larry --

How do you like the Galbreath Head/Nelson plug combination vs. the standard NORVEL head and plug? Is it worth changing to Galbreath/Nelson from a power and longevity standpoint.

the "other" andrew
Old 09-26-2004, 11:06 AM
Larry Driskill

ORIGINAL: Andrew

Larry --

How do you like the Galbreath Head/Nelson plug combination vs. the standard NORVEL head and plug? Is it worth changing to Galbreath/Nelson from a power and longevity standpoint.

the "other" andrew
To give you a valid answer I need to take a Revlite Norvel and test the Galbreath / Nelson and a Freedom Norvel plug.

Since I mostly run VAs and Cyclons (both use Nelson plugs) I don't have current data on the new Norvels and the Freedom plug. Back when I was running the nickle cylinder AMEs I ran the Galbreath / Nelson set up and got more power than with the Norvel plug of that era.

I have a nickle Norvel .061 in an RC wing. It has the Galbreath / Nelson setup (I like the $3.25 and $3.15 Nelson plug costs). I will try a Freedom plug in that one and see what happens.

I guess I may have to breakdown, dig up the bucks, and try a Revlite .061 to get a current idea of how the plugs match up.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:28 AM
cortacesped

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I´m glad to read that they are good stuff. It´s very hard to light them with a low batt, I tried a Ni Cd and nothing happened, but a fresh alkaline seems to work fine. Thanks for the information.

Claudio