Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Landings/broken props?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Landings/broken props?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 12:32 AM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Landings/broken props?

I read somewhere that you align the prop on the crank so that it is horizontal at BDC. But I didn't get a reason...

Just guessing here, is it for when you're belly landing and you cut the engine you want it to end up at BDC, or horizontal with the wings, so that the prop doesn't get broken? Is this a sure way to save props?

I can't think of any other reasons.. is this correct?
Old 10-01-2004, 02:03 AM
Big Al-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Landings/broken props?

Yes, you are correct, however in the past there were two reasons to set the prop horizontal. Back in the days of ignition engines we used to spend more time flipping the prop then we did flying. With the prop horizontal we were able to develop a rhythm and I'm sure we could flip a prop at several hundred RPM. (Which was needed to start an ornery spark engine). A prop that was mis-clocked totally screwed up the feel. Of course with these new fangled electric starters that is no longer an issue, but it is still good practice to have the prop horizontal on those dead stick landings.
Al
Old 10-01-2004, 06:30 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

It is for the deadstick landings,,none of my planes have either throttle or landing gear, I could use a throttle ring but you still dont land until your out of fuel and the engine stops and for the most part on a grass field,, landing gear on 1/2a planes does more harm than good..they usually just grab the grass and nose over...Rog
Old 10-01-2004, 10:39 AM
WRX
My Feedback: (1)

I have no electric starter. It is easier to start the engine when your compression comes up with a horizontal prop. But truthfully the norvel .061 start so easy (after break in) that I just get it close now. Break in is a different matter entirely.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Only thing is for belly landers, don't you want to set it so the prop is horizontal part way into the compression stroke. If you set it horiz at BDC the wind on the prop will rotate it into the start of compression, which will put on blade down about 45 degrees.

Duke
Old 10-04-2004, 12:38 AM
Mopzilla

I just recently figured out what that screw on the carb behind the throttle arm does, so now I can shut off engines in flight with my trim! Great, thanks!