Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

.15 medallion throttle ring

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

.15 medallion throttle ring

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 09:20 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default .15 medallion throttle ring

Ya know how the medallions all look the same, only they differ in size? Well I won an auction on e b and somehow wound up with a .15 medallion. I thought I was bidding on a .049[X(] !!
I can tell it used to have a throttle ring, because the surface around the exaust ports is rust colored instead of blued..

So my far-fetched, fat-chance quest; has anyone got a throttle ring for a honkin .15 medallion to sell? got any leads?
this is only the second medallion .15 i've ever seen, the last was while nixon was still in office.
damn i'm old. The 15 looks funny to me, like some kind of mutant giant. With those open exausts i bet it's a whole new dimension in loud!

If no muffler or ring found, maybe I build a LS250? Or something brodak?

thanks
Old 10-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: .15 medallion throttle ring

Since you wanted a Medallion .049 to begin with, I probably have one I'd trade for your "mistake" Medallion .15. On the other hand, I don't know what I'd do with another one...

They are actually a pretty good C/L sport engine - quite light, good power, and can lug a pretty big prop. That is probably a better use for one rather than putting an exhaust throttle on it to use it for RC.

While you are hunting around, you might also run into one of the Cox accessory mufflers - a roundish thing with a single pipe sticking out any direction you want it to. There was also an early Cox throttle accessory, a twisting spray bar and sliding exhaust restrictor type, but this type may not fit your later style engine.

Arlen
Old 10-01-2004, 09:58 PM
mclintock

They are actually a pretty good C/L sport engine - quite light, good power, and can lug a pretty big prop. That is probably a better use for one rather than putting an exhaust throttle on it to use it for RC.
I do already have a homeless thunder tiger 15 with a proper throttle, so maybe control line is the way to go-
I've never tried any control line other than 1/2a, but most sites and texts I've read about control line say I'm missing out if I don't try one with longer lines and the requisite bigger engine.

To be honest the main reason I was hunting for the ring was just to see if it could even work on so big an engine.

I mean, if it worked on a .15, why not on a .40 or .60?

I once had a sort of exaust throttle on my car!
The element in the catalytic converter in my old volvo once came loose and plugged my exaust intermittently- causing big time loss of power- yet it would idle fine. I'd turn the car off then back on, and the element would fall away from the exit side of the catalytic converter housing and the car would resume running fine.. a big ol' ball valve..
Old 10-03-2004, 03:03 PM
Remby

Hello,
The throttle rings can be found on Ebay, look for coxmania 's store there, he has them listed from time to time. The .049 Medallions had the prop spinners, the 09 & 15 used a prop washer . I used a Medallion 15 on a Ace all star bipe with two channels back in the late 70's, and it was a great flyer. So, it can be done without the throttle, shoud work well for you.
Remby
Old 10-03-2004, 06:52 PM
Silvaire

Just one more thought:
Are you sure you have a Medallion .15 and not an .09? Good to know if you are looking for parts. I bought a poorly built almost completed plane at a model swap last spring. Early in the morning (looking with a flashlight) I was SURE it had a TD .15 in it cowled in nice and tight. All I could clearly see was the top of the plug. Turned out to be a TD .09. Twenty bucks down the drain, but at least it had never been run, so the tears only welled up in my eyes and didn't roll down my cheeks. I really shouldn't think I know my Cox engines all that well...

Arlen
Old 10-03-2004, 10:08 PM
mclintock

I'm not completely sure it's a 15 since there are pretty much no marks on the engines to let you know, unless you have both the .09 and the .15 to hold side by side. I think it's a .15 because i downloaded the instruction sheet for the tee dee .15 and that gave the dimensions of the tee dees. The medallion .15 I have measured quite close in overall height to the tee dee .15- altho my medallion has an aftermarket head on it with a 'normal' glo plug in it, making the measurement a little longer than the tee dee..
The mounting hole spacing for my medallion is practically the same as the td .15 dimension..

If it's a .09, then I hope the previous owner never actually ran it with the huge prop bolted on it- It is like an 8-4 or something, I will have to pull the spinner off (involving allen wrenches and a trip to the garage) to tell for certain.

I didn't even know they made a td .09..

Looking at coxmania on ebay, i did find one of those funny 'muffler' things, the exaust collecters with the sliding spring steel door- like the qrc had. I may get that thing anyway, since the rules of both rc clubs I'm thinking of joining state 'no open exaust engines over .061 displacement'..
Old 10-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Silvaire

Clint,
I'm sure you have what you think you have, but I just though you should make sure before you bought any parts! Putting way too fine a point on the subject, every part on Tee Dee and Medallion .15's is interchangeable if installed with the appropriate complimentry parts. Only the carburetor body retainer nut, back plate, and head gasket are the same part for every single model of Tee Dee and Medallion .15. (On certain issues of these .15's there are a few other parts that are the same too.) The later model "Tee Dee .15's" are named by Cox ".15 Specials" and ".15 MK-II's" if the subject ever comes up.

A 8-4 prop is right in the ball park for a Medallion .15. Hope you find something entertaining to do with your engine!

Arlen