Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Newbie to small gas

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Newbie to small gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 11:57 AM
gpshemi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to small gas

I have an old OS .10 car engine I was thinking about putting in a plane possibly in the future.
Currently "learning" on a Aerobird. Is it possible? Is it worth looking into into? Loved that little motor.
Am I looking for an electric to convert?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Default RE: Newbie to small gas

The OS car engine most likely won't work. While they rev to no end they just aren't made to turn a prop. Most have very short front ends making any time you need to tweak the carb a finger slicing ordeal.

Later,
Tim
Old 10-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it`s a O.S 10fp you will be fine- that is the non-ball bearing engine and it has the same mild porting as used in the aircraft version of the engine- you should really get the head for airplanes to stop overcooling (check on the O.S engines site to see it, and confirm which engine you have if you are not sure.)
If it is a CZ11 there are a lot of different cylinders made for the engine and you may have one good for a plane or it may be a bit hot for a good design to learn with. In that case you could get a more suitable cylinder/piston set, or for about the same price you could get a norvel .074- this is great engine that you can have fun learning with but later put onto a more racey plane for more aerobatic stuff-
Don`t get talked into a .40 sized plane to learn with- bigger is just more expensive, slower to build and easier to break!

Stefan
Old 10-05-2004, 07:01 AM
gpshemi

Looks like it's a .10 FP-BX. It has a pull start, but it wasn't working anyway.
I was thinking I'd just take the pull start off, maybe mill the backplate down if I have to.
As far as overcooling on this engine, do you think it would be a problem?
Could I through it up in the mill and take a little off the fins? Really, the car is junk.
I'd never use it in anything else. I can't see sticking a bunch of money into it with new
head, piston, rings, or whatever. Just thought it might make a nice engine to start with
while getting into gas since I've got it.

Any thoughts on a plane that's not a learner, but not super tough to fly either?
I do well on a 4 ch simulator (appearently very very well according to the owner), and
I'd be doing this after the aerobird.

Thanks for the help,
gpshemi
Old 10-05-2004, 08:00 AM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can`t see a problem with machining the fins down to something similar to the FP plane engines head. Same goes for the pullstarter plate- you could even shorten the pullstart shaft to save a bit of weight. All sounds a good fun way to get a good engine. If it was me I`d probably leave the cylinder head finning slightly large (only 1mm or so oversize though) as a little extra cooling is not going to hurt, especially on a slightly tired engine.

Stefan
Old 10-05-2004, 08:08 AM
gpshemi

Cool!

Now all I have to do is find a good plane for it.

It shouldn't be tired really. I can't remember running it that much.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:20 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The biggest issue, since it sounds like you have no problem with the head turning, is the end of the crankshaft and how it'll mate to the drive washer. If you have access to the lathe to turn the head then I suspect you could turn your own drive washer too so even if the insides of the pull starter are not the best for modifying to mount a prop it should be practical to fix it up.

The Aerobird is a very slow flying model. For your first gassie for the 10 I would suggest something a bit larger with rudder and elevator along with throttle. Something with 300 sq inches would do.

There's lots of talk around here about the LS150 scaled up to 150%. A 200% LS with the fuselage size slimmed down would make a fantastic OS10 sport trainer. At low throttle it should be gentle enough to transition from the Aerobird and at full power it would stunt up a storm if you can keep the weight down to 20 or 22 oz.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:48 PM
gpshemi

I have full access to machine shop / tool room.

Help me out though. What's a LS150? I did a search and came up empty.

Thanks,
gpshemi
Old 10-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's Fred Reese's [link=http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/littlestick.pdf]Littlest Stick[/link] scaled up 150%. Try your search again on LS150 in the 1/2A forum -- you should get about 3 pages of thread hits. Or you can search on author LynnS in the 1/2A forum.

Several members have built the LS150 and numerous pictures are included in the threads.

the "other" andrew
Old 10-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Lynn S

Bruce, Why not just put that .10 on a LS150??
add an extra bay if you want to slow it down. It needs weight in the nose anyway.

gpshemi, You can take a look at flying poodle's LS150 in the "Pics from Tullahoma" thread. His was really honkin, but would only run about 1 minute.

Andrew, I'm famous!
Just put LS150 in a GOOGLE search and see what happens.
...but there is a lot of stuff called LS150 and not 1/2a related.