Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Identify some reedies for me please.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Identify some reedies for me please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 01:05 PM
meowy84

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Identify some reedies for me please.

I have a few different reed valve .049s and I was hoping someone can tell me something about them since I'm fairly new at this. First, they all have the plain aluminum crankcase (not anodized so they're not the black widow, etc). The differences are: a few have double slits on the exhaust port and a few have the single big slit. Also a few have a 6-point nut on the crankshaft end and a few have the smooth end.

I assume the ones with the single slit and the smooth crank end are the older versions right? If so then the problem is that I have one with a single slit but the 6-point nut crank end. So what gives? Someone put an older cylinder on a newer crankcase?

Also any differences in porting in these reedies throughout the years? And which ones make more rpms and more power? I'm guessing the big slits would allow better breathing right...but then there must be a reason why they went with the double slit design.

EDUCATE ME! Please and thank you.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:16 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Identify some reedies for me please.

The beauty of the Cox .049 engine whether it be the a Babe Bee, BlackWidow, Golden Bee,QRC, QZ,Killer Bee,Texaco,Space Hopper, TeeDee, Medallion,Venom or RR-1 to name a few they all can mix and match cylinder and piston sets. Same thing with the crankshafts from the modern reedies. There is a million ways to build a fast Cox Reed Valve engine. Some parts of course are better than others. Most Cox .049 cylinders have a number stamped onto them. This i.d. number tells alittle about the cylinder i.e. it's bypass porting type. A number #2 cylinder has a single bypass. A #1 is a twin bypass. A #4 is from a TeeDee .049 to name a few. Do a search here on this board and you will find out more about Cox engines than any place else.

Later,
Tim
Old 10-09-2004, 01:43 PM
meowy84

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where on the cylinder are these numbers stamped? I looked on my engines and can't seem to find any.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are either stamped on the outside bottom or on the side of the exhaust port. Not all cylinders will have a number.

Later,
Tim