Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Shot Down by a Novice.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Shot Down by a Novice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 11:33 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shot Down by a Novice.

Well I got shot down while flying my S/400 last evening. I was flying at a local soccer complex with about four other people. All of a sudden I had only itermitent control at best. Put it in the ground hard, broken prop, bent prop screw, firewall/ motor mount torn away from fuse, broken fin/rudder etc. I had no idea what happened when one of the guys flying with us noticed a guy and his son dinking around with a plane away from the group. After picking up my shattered plane I went over to check it out and sure enough they were on channel 15. I asked them if they had there radio on a few min. earlier and the dude said he had. ARRRRRG.

After talking to him further the guy didn't even realise that it could be a problem around other flyers. I asked him and his son to come over and join us and showed him my shattered S/400. I also pointed out the frequency flags on everyones radios. We then spent the next hour or so getting his son in the air. The had a speed 400 electric plane called a Dragonfly. Nice, docile beginers plane actualy flew well.

Anyway I have to take some of the blame here as it's a risk you take when your not willing to drive to your local clubs field where there's more control over this kind of thing.

Darren
Old 10-09-2004, 11:42 AM
air mail rcu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shot Down by a Novice.

Man I'm impressed there still are great people in this world. Not only did you not yell at the man but you spend your time helping get his Son in the air. My hat is off the you Sir.

Did you explain to the Man that if he shoots down someone that he should pay for the repairs or replace the plane. Even if you did not want him to pay you he should know this for the future.

We need more people like you in this hobby.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:47 AM
MerlinL14

Hat off to you Darren for even suggesting that you were part to blame for the 'shoot down'. I'm also impressed that you took the time to explain freq etiquette and then to instruct the youngster in flying his model without asking for his wallet. Sometimes it really is nice to be nice.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:49 AM
MerlinL14

oops, double post, sorry.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:33 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI DARREN, You mishandled the situation completely. You should have calmly picked up all your stuff, then drove over closer to where the other guy was flying, then SHOT HIM DOWN[>:]!!! Then all you would have to say to them was,"OH, I didn't realize that could be a problem."[sm=sunsmiley.gif]!! Just kidding, but if they do it to you again, you should grab his transmitter and retune it for him right there.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:03 PM
BuzzardsFly

Thats a great thing you did rag, the damage to your plane is hopefully easy to repair,
however had the father and son been yelled at they may have lost interest in this great hobby.

It is a most honourable thing that you did.

Chris
Old 10-09-2004, 07:24 PM
flyinrog

Kudos Darren, sounds like a great way to handle the situation,,Rog
Old 10-09-2004, 09:04 PM
rrragmanliam

Thanks guys. Don't get me wrong I was in a very high state of piss off! But I could tell that the man and his son really were new to the hobby and It's not cool to bag on a guy in front of his kid. The man offered a sincere apology immediatley and I wasn't going to be an unreasonable d*ckhead about it. It's a Simple 400 and not a great loss even if it' wasnt repairable ( and it is). Now they know and will fly with the group, and the kid (Jason age 11) had a great time making his first flights.

On a side bar, as usual CP had the funniest responce to the post. I laughed my ass of at the reply.

Darren
Old 10-10-2004, 01:09 PM
SRA Foam Flyer
My Feedback: (11)

I remember this would happen very frequently at the R/C field we used in the Chicago. It seemed as though beginners were always refered to that field by hobby shops. It was always the same scenario, they would pull up and park, then check the power on the transmitter and happily walk the 300 ft path to the flying site. That was usually enough time for the pilot that got hit to go collect the pieces and return to the field and stew.
Then it procedes to:
"HI!!!" I'm new and I was just....
What channel are you on?[sm=punching.gif]
The other problem was that the park was so big, people with small HLGs would be off on their own somewhere.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:14 PM
combatpigg

DARREN, glad I could give you a laugh about the situation! I still think the kids' father should have at least offered to pay. If I did the same thing to you, paying for my mistake means that not only have I EARNED your respect, but maintained my own self respect also. If he does it to you again, just pretend like you scored a TD and his TX is the football! Put him on channel ZERO[>:]!!
Old 10-10-2004, 03:29 PM
lwr_

Darin you are right, always take the time to join and utilize the local club and its facilities. Flying at the local park only invites crashed planes and liability lawsuits.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:35 PM
RC-Captain

Hello guys , I'm just curious to know if it is getting more common to fly at local parks vs club fields ?

I had a situation which scared the heck out of me and almost made me not fly at local parks anymore. On a Sunday morning I went to my usual park to fly my Os .40 trainer and found people beginning to start a softball game. I normally go back home and wait a few hours then return to complete my successful flights . Something made me remember a field , about 30 minutes from where I normally fly, that I have been anticipating on trying to test. So I went up there and keep in mind this is an affluent neighborhood and the reason I knew it was there was because I service security system through-out the area. So anyway after doing necessary checks before taking her up I attempted to get off the ground but the grass was quite high [:@] , which always pisses me off. So ....lol....while bending down to turn over the engine again I noticed a COP car pulling up , right up to where I had all of my field equipment . This is when I thought I would never fly at a local park , not to mention I thought I was going to receive a ticket for disturbing the peace. Well none of this happened , the officer jumped out and said high [8D]<---officer.....I immediately asked !QUOT!did someone complain about the noise and do I have to leave ?!QUOT! He said !QUOT!if you do I'm going to hit you !QUOT! I said!QUOT!HUH ?!QUOT! and then he repeated himself and I asked why ? .....He then said !QUOT!because I love those planes I fly them myself [8D] . My chest began to loosen up and we began talking and he said !QUOT! F*&($ these people around here ,it's quite alright to fly just as long as you have AMA insurance. !QUOT! He told me about a show coming up in February where he buys most of his planes . He then said OK lets get it in the air so I did and I thought I would never give anyone my control to fly my plane but I did and the way he was flying this trainer was like it was in his hand and he was making the flying motions using his hand .JUST GRACEFUL . NO CHOPPINESS .AND HE DID THINGS WITH THE TRAINER I WASN'T SURE COULD BE DONE . So after this experience I decided to stick to local park flying .

PS after giving me back the stick he said dammit those people with those dogs .......the park prohibits dog walking but not flying RC planes ...go figure ..... and then went over to talk to them ......
Old 10-14-2004, 10:54 PM
combatpigg

What does QUOT! mean?
Old 10-14-2004, 11:02 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Park flying does seem to getting more popular. As long as you have permission then you are covered. Personally, I wouldn't feel comforable flying anything over about 10oz in a public park, but if that is the only place that you can fly...

A nearby city recently banned all model aircraft, including CL, FF and RC, in public areas due to beginners crashing park flyers.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:45 PM
RC-Captain

CP ask RC Universe I used " signs and thats what they put in lol....

Bipe dont misunderstand me , there are parks that dont allow radio controlled aircraft where I live. My wory is if it is becomming an epidemic to fly at local parks then I will just have to be much more careful before flying , besides I dont think anybody gets up as early as I do to go to the park .
Old 10-15-2004, 11:53 AM
jessiej

Great job, Darren. Words are like bullets in that once fired off they can't be recalled. Had you blown your stack at the father and son you may well not only have driven them from the hobby, but earned their enmity for the entire hobby and perhaps created activists to ban flying in public areas. It would have gone beyond just the plane incident as the father may have felt diminished in the eyes of his young son.

Again, good job!

jess