Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

.049 backplate carb?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

.049 backplate carb?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 07:38 AM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default .049 backplate carb?

So anybody ever seen one of these?
I just bought it on you-know where.(it's not here yet, this image from the auction). I am not holding my breath
thinking it's a bolt-on plastic throttle solution for old postage stamp product engines... but what if?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20561.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	181903  
Old 10-12-2004, 07:48 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: .049 backplate carb?

Clint,

I have a bunch of those. They are the backplates off the Cox product engines used in the Cox control line planes before the current Sure-Start engines. It's just like the one used on the Killer Bee engines. I think I have black ones, Red ones and Cream colored ones. Just understand it's not a "throttle" it's just a backplate.

Later,
Tim
Old 10-12-2004, 08:02 AM
mclintock

Tim-
That's what I thought it was, only I was confused because I also have a couple of the "cat# 2034B Firewall, Reed, Ret, & Screws" bag-o-parts from cox that look just the same, a black killer bee back..

Maybe the 1259 is just the plate without the other stuff- or the older steel reed retainer type?

In any case, it was 5 bucks delivered, so I'm good i guess.

I wish I could find a cox parts reference so I knew what part was what..

oh wait I forgot about airfield2000.com there are some parts blowups with numbers there.. not all though.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:31 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Clint,

I am with you on the Cox parts list thing. I have a few different instruction sheets from the Black Widow from different years.It's funny how over the years the same parts got different part numbers.

LAter,
Tim
Old 10-12-2004, 09:40 AM
Lane Puckett
My Feedback: (2)

I have a variable venturi backplate carb in my stash of Cox parts. If I remember right it is not made by Cox but an aftermarket producer.

It uses a large tapered rod that slides in and out of the venturi changing the air flow. The plastic backplate and tapered rod are a pair.

I'll get a picture of it and post it on this thread when I get a chance.

I've never had it mounted on a motor so I can't speak to how well it works.

I'm thinking you could easily modify an existing plastic backplate to make this concept work on your own, with time and some machining experience.

Lane
Old 10-12-2004, 09:51 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Lane,

I think ACE maybe made that one. I have seen one but I have never seen one in action. Well before my time.

Later,
Tim
Old 10-12-2004, 11:12 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Tim & Lane,
Yup, those were made by Ace, the thing did not replace the backplate,
it just bolted on between the backplate & firewall and acted
as a guide for the tapered needle air restrictor. No fuel flow regulation.
The little screen had to come off if it was present.
Neve used mine either!
Dave
Old 10-12-2004, 01:33 PM
mclintock

I've wondered if a crude carb could be mayde by pulling the spraybar out of a 'postage stamp' plate, putting some silicone fuel line over the outside of the plastic venturi, covering the holes left where the spray bar was, then drilling a hole in a piece of tubing who's inside diameter was the same as the back plate venturi inside diameter, making a new venturi out of the tubing and spray bar, then connect the original plate to the new venturi/spraybar/needlevalve.

(run-on sentence award![:@])

Then the air flow can be metered by pinching the silicone fuel tubing between the new venturi and the old back plate. Hmm maybe I should make one and see..

Won't the fuel flow meter itself as long as the spraybar is 'upstream' of the 'throttle plate' (pinched tube, in this case)?
Old 10-12-2004, 02:01 PM
meowy84

I don't like the parts numbering either. What about Cox wrenches. I have 2 different types of Cox wrenches all with the part #1530. Most are the usual black anodized with the screwdriver provision on the end. But one I have is stainless steel with no screwdriver provision and no provision to unscrew the machined cylinder at the top. The only provisions it has is the one to take the glow head off and one to put in the exhaust slits (for the single big exhaust slits) to unscrew the cylinder that way. Is this some weird unusual wrench? Forgive my newbie ignorance if it's not.