Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Babe Bee .049 vs. Black Widow

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Babe Bee .049 vs. Black Widow

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 01:56 PM
meowy84

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Babe Bee .049 vs. Black Widow

What are the differences between these two engines? I'm a newbie so be gentle. On the Tower Hobbies site looking at the pictures the only thing I can see is that the Babe Bee has the 2 slit exhaust whereas the Widow has the bigger single slit exhaust. Is that about right? What about their rpm capabilities? On the tower site it says that the weight of the widow (with plastic tank!) is 2.26oz while the Bee (with the aluminum tank! whish should be heavier?) is listed at 1.75. What accounts for the difference is they share the same crankcase and basic cylinder more or less (other than the slits) and glow head is the same as well?
Old 10-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Babe Bee .049 vs. Black Widow

The current Cox engines are a mess! They are now owned and made by Estes...the model rocket people. The current Black Widow is a mix match mess. A real Black Widow will be all black with a twin bypass #1 cylinder with a venturi hole of .081/.082 I think. With a metal tank and backplate. The current BW is just a plain Cox product crankcase with a plastic tank and backplate, it's a draw on cylinder type as I have seen some in hobby shops with the duel slit cylinders. Look at the current Killer Bees not even close now to what they started life as. It's a real shame.

Later,
Tim
Old 10-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

meowy,

For the budding Cox lover in you check out this site...

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm

You never know there was some many Cox engines!!!! I didn't till I saw it!

Later,
Tim
Old 10-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Lynn S

The Babe Bee that I got last year was exactly like the Black Widow they have a black tank now but it doesn't have a prop spinner, just a screw. The last time I ran the Babe Bee it turned 13,500 with a 5x3 cox prop. and my worn Black Widow turned 13,000. My Babe Bee does have exhaust slits instead of open ports, but that doesn't seem to slow it down any.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:05 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The Widow was SUPPOSED to use the open exhaust with twin bypass flutes (the little channels between the exhaust ports you can see if you look down in the cylinder with the glow head removed. The Baby Bee is SUPPOSED to use a cylinder with only one bypass flute. The twin flutes provides a lot of extra power if the engines are otherwise matched. However as you can see from Lynn's numbers other factors can play a part.

It sure sounds like Estes is making a mess of the Cox lineup. You may be better off with a Norvel. Or shop for old or only slightly used stock. There's lots out there.