Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Tee Dee .010 Questions

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Tee Dee .010 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 08:29 PM
tango28charlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tee Dee .010 Questions

Hello Everyone, I am not normally a 1/8A flier - up until now I've never flown a plane with smaller than a K&B .28 engine, but the Cox Tee Dee .010 engine has always interested me. I heard that Cox might be discontinuing it. Is that true? If so, I think I'll snap one up at Tower Hobbies. I want a plane to fly for fun using the .010 - any suggestions for a plane with ailerons that will fly with one? (I hate flying rudder only planes.) Also, will it run with the same glow fuel I use for my larger engines (10% nitro?) Thanks in advance.
Charlie
Old 10-12-2004, 09:07 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Tee Dee .010 Questions

Hey Charlie! The .010 TD is a fun little engine. The only kit I know of that is designed for that size engine and to use ailerons is the Wee Stick from Early RC Models. One of our contributors here runs the company and they make great kits (trust me, I've built six of them). Try Earlyrcmodels.com. As far as your fuel goes, I have never tried running the .010 on 10% nitro but I suspect it wouldn't go very well. If it ran at all, it probably wouldn't develop the power needed to pull a moth through the air. I would run 25% minimum. I am using 35% and it seems pretty happy on that. I know there are people who use higher nitro than that though. Get one and build yourself a small plane for it, they're a hoot!

Brian
Old 10-13-2004, 05:00 AM
MICRO-FLITE

MICRO-FLITE has been authorized by COX to build COX TEE DEE .010 ENGINES in Tacoma, Washington with genuine COX raw parts! We also build the MICRO-FLITE/COX TD .010 “R/C” ENGINE with our recently patented THERMAL EXHAUST THROTTLE. Our throttle has the lowest idle and widest speed range ever obtained with the COX TEE DEE .010 ENGINE. On idle your lightest "1/8A" R/C model ought to sit dead still on a typical runway! That's a first for "1/8A" throttles!

We will be stocking the Peck-Polymers Mini Bell, which is perfect for our .010 "R/C" ENGINE. We make an entire line of "1/8A" products. Please check out our web site (www.micro-flite.com).

Roger
Old 10-13-2004, 07:53 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Never mind... My post was in reply to a now deleted post.

Tango- If you don't mind building from plans you can go to http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/
scroll down to the bottom and look at the "Littlest Stick". It has a very low parts count and could be ready to fly before a kit would arrive!
It's easily modified for ailerons and just put everything on a line. (little or no incidence) Alot of guys have sized it up for an 049!
Old 10-13-2004, 08:12 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Tango,

I also have a Roaring 20 kit from EarlyRC models. First rate all the way. Great CAD plans laser cut wood.. top notch. I have also seen their WeeStick with ailerons fly. Plus I have seen one without ailerons fly, rudder rolls like its crazy!!!

Later,
Tim
Old 10-13-2004, 12:46 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You definitley need the hot fuel to run the 010. It'll sour you really quick if you try it with only 10%. Otherwise ditto on what the others said. Two channel micro parkflyer style radio gear and you're good to go. With larger 1/2A engines you can get away with some larger airborne radio gear but with the 010 you MUST get the small stuff. The weight of the RTF model can't be over about 5 oz if you expect any quality of aerobatics.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:28 AM
tango28charlie

Thanks for all the replies. I have been looking at some electric ARF's and parkflyers that I might try to convert. How heavy of a plane does everybody think the engine could handle, not for doing aerobatics but just for mostly straight and level flying with a slow flyer or sailplane-type airframe? Thanks again.
Charlie
Old 10-15-2004, 02:22 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TD .010 likes hot fuel.. At least 30% If I go over 35 I tend to go through Plugs
My Target wieght is 5 to 7oz.
http://www.earlyrcmodels.com/index.html has a cute little Page Boy.
If I could find how to attach pics to a reply I have of my toy I call the Swanson. I can send you a pdf of the plan if you would like.