Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

What has happened to Clancy Aviation

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

What has happened to Clancy Aviation

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 09:30 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What has happened to Clancy Aviation

This is sort-of borderline 1/2a. Why did Clancy sell, transfer rights or whatever to Global Hobby. He had what seemed to me to be a good thing going and now it appears that they have basically dimantled his product line and started making cheezy ARF's out of it![:@] Why can't they leave the little guys alone? I'm really frustrated because when the Clancy Stagger Bee first came out, I wanted one but couldn't buy it. Now that I am ready to get one I find out that Global discontinued it. They even messed up the good old Lazy Bee by putting those regular wheels on it instead of the Trexlers! Andy Clancy, if you're out there, what's the deal?

Brian
Old 10-13-2004, 09:48 PM
Propduster
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: What has happened to Clancy Aviation

I believe Clancy did sell out to Global, (at least the lazy B line of planes) . I haven't checked Clancy's website in awhile, so don't know if he is coming out with anything else or not.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:55 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on the site:

http://clancyaviation.globalhobby.com/products.asp

They still show all the models..?

AJC
Old 10-13-2004, 10:09 PM
fireman7875

Yeah, I know. It's weird...Clancy's site still shows everything but if you try to order it links you to Hobby People (I think) and their site doesn't show the Stagger Bee or some of the other planes. I called them and they said that it had been discontinued. Now I'm trying to call Clancy Avaition directly but the line has been busy all afternoon. If I am able to get a hold of them I'll let everyone else know too in case someone else is interested.

Brian
Old 10-14-2004, 09:20 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A few years ago I understand that Andy had trouble with zoning. He was not allowed to sell from his house. I'm not sure of all the particulars but he got out of the retail business and used distributors. This may be old info, perhaps the situation has changed.

George
Old 10-14-2004, 11:25 AM
DesignMan

Basically, Andy got tired of starving.

Sell the designs, get royalties, get a real job and earn some decent money for his family.

Sorry gang, but the way to make a million bucks in the model business is to start with $2 million.

Have you ever noticed that despite a lifetime of involvement in modelling, I never owned a kit business or hobby shop? And I work in the TOY business, not hobby. (The only exceptions were Estes and Fox Engines, Cox is, and always was a toy company (Though a VERY good one for a while)).

There are, perhaps, a half dozen people who ever got rich with kit businesses. Andy is one of the most creative guys I ever met, but he was never mainstream enough to ever make it big. Great models, but not big bucks. Sigh.....[]
Old 10-14-2004, 04:48 PM
fireman7875

Is there any way I could get in touch with Mr Clancy? I have tried calling the only phone number I have for him for two days now and get nothing but a busy signal. I'm pretty sure he isn't fielding THAT many phone calls.

Brian
Old 10-24-2004, 07:37 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the december issue of model airplane news, there is a little paragraph about clancy and the new lazy bee kit..
Sez it's gonna be about 60 bucks and all the many variants of the lazy bee wing can be built using the one new improved kit.
can't find anyting about it online tho..
supposedly can fly using anything from a 1.2v pager motor to a p/w twin wasp!