Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

New to this (sorta)

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

New to this (sorta)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 05:29 PM
jettstarblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this (sorta)

I have a yellow .020 I got from a busted up FF heli I got out of the trash.
It turns over with good compression.

I plan on hooking up a tank to it, and I'm guessing running it on some 25%?
Anything I should know? Any hints or tips? I've had no problem running to .049's What should I expect?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2004, 05:36 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New to this (sorta)

Jetts, I know your handle well from the clubhouse, etc but I was starting to think I was in the wrong forum...! I guess you are branching out to 1/2A now too? Awesome!

The peewee 020 can certainly run with 25% nitro fuel. Make sure the oil content is at least 20% or more, and a part (1/2 preferably again, or more) of the oil castor for longevity.

The old cox peewee props run best, the orange one that came with the heli will work great.

Welcome to the friendliest place within RCU... seriously! (dont let the micro-flite thing scare you.. )

AJC
Old 10-16-2004, 06:21 PM
jettstarblue

AJ!

You're that famous guy from the magazine, right!?
Thanks for the response. Actually, I've been a closet half A guy for a looong time, I started out with an EZ Bee and then the first kit I bought and built was an Ace High MkII that I got educated with the Cox BW, QRC and Texaco on.
My buds thought I was a Cox engine wizard, but I was just paying attention to what they were telling me (the engines, not my friends).
I have an AME .049 R/C and this little .020. (Yes, I have the prop.)
As for the "micro flite thing" Heh heh.......

Jetts
Old 10-16-2004, 06:39 PM
ajcoholic

There is a lot of excellent material to digest here in this forum. Many of the guys here are regulars, and we have been chatting about small planes and engines for over 2 years now. Some AMAZING modelers (in every sense of the word) here, in all aspects like model design, composite/wood/plastic construction, engine tuners and machinists, all and all a lot of stuff you just dont run into in a lot of other aspects of the hobby.

I know I have learned a ton of stuff here in the past few years, and it really rekindled my love for small planes, and engines. Many here are willing to help each other in any way shape or form...

So, what are you planning to put that peewee into?? One rule you gotta' remember here is that you HAVE to share info, pictures and describe whatever you are working on, no matter if its a simple little trainer model or something super sophisticated like Japanman's Mig.

Let the fun begin!!

AJC
Old 10-16-2004, 07:50 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The only problem I have with this group is that when I ask for an opinion I not only get a bunch of great suggestions, I also get offers to fix engines or even free parts arriving in the mail. Everyone likes a freebie, but I've declined sometimes so that I don't feel guilty.

If you are looking for something to put your .020 into, go to Dave Fritzke's site to download some nice old timer plans. http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/
BobHH has sells some beautiful planes at. http://earlyrcmodels.com/
Old 10-16-2004, 08:10 PM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

Jettstarblue..............welcome to the 1/2a group....all of the regulars you meet around here are full of good tips just like Bipe was saying..
and yes we all want to see what your working on so post those pics and vids !!! Combatpigg and myself (xanaphyst) have speed fever
and have managed to pull PTUlmer in on it....if you care to join our madness give us a shout
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17261.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	183439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91702.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	183440  
Old 10-16-2004, 09:32 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jett, Ive seen you over in beginers many times...I'd go with Bipe Flyer on this one,, BobHH has some really nice models, he and his father have been to one or more of my fun flys that I have, they are both great at building and flying anything,,most all of his planes are for .010 to .049 size engines..he always has a great display at our big swap meet here in January..all around good guy..he has supplied (very generously I might add) a free plane for each meet I've had in order to have a raffle ,,okay so I've only had 2 meets but I plan on 3 to 4 next year, anyway welcome to 1/2a land Jett..Rog
Old 10-17-2004, 09:50 AM
jettstarblue

Thank you all! I'll keep you "posted", and one more question- I need a ready to fly weight to shoot for....I've got a lot of "ideas"....
Old 10-17-2004, 12:01 PM
ajcoholic

For the 020, and a "standard" type plane (not a motor glider, ie a sport plane) I would try and stay under 8 ounces all up. 6 or 7 ounces RTF would be excellent but with a larger wing I would say up to 10 for sport aerobatics.

AJC
Old 10-17-2004, 12:55 PM
jettstarblue

Thanks again!
Fly RC mag is "Da Bomba"
Sorry couldn't resist- I posted some "props" to your cohort Jef in the beginners forum...
Old 10-18-2004, 06:09 PM
meowy84

Jetstarlube, I'm new to this forum too and I agree with AJ, this has gotta be the friendliest form around.

Just wanted to mention that unlike Bipe-Flyer I WILL ACCEPT ANY AND ALL FREE STUFF without guilt. heh heh
Old 10-18-2004, 06:15 PM
xanaphyst

Do a search on the LS150 ....it is a great place to start...nice easy build...a bit quick on new fingers..might wanna add a little more wing
if your a rookie....Just be aware....even though the engines are small and cheap..this is not the place to learn to fly in my opinion..
the 40 size models are a bit easier for learning.......THAT BEING SAID....I tought myself to fly on my 049 blackwidow so I'm not
saying it can't be done...

xanaphyst
Old 10-18-2004, 11:54 PM
MR Flyer57

Hello jettstarblue and meowy84,

This little stuff, really is a little harder to build and fly. A little twist in a wing is all it takes to have a bad day.

The first thing ( in my humble opinion ) is to determine what level you will be flying at. No shame in starting slow, success is the most important thing,,,, and of course posting pictures of the planes and flights.

These guys make it look so easy!!! I guess building some of the simple ones is kinda of easy, but the stuff that was put together for the contests!!!! OH MAN!![8D]

I would stick to the powered glider stuff at first and work your way to the smaller wing sizes.

For my money, the LS150 is the ship to start with. This plane is one of the best all around planes, a little hot, but still goes where you want. There have been lots of them built so there is a bunch of good advice here.

If you are a good pilot and builder, then by all means go for any plane you really want.

There are a bunch of plane building fools here that can knock you socks off with their ability!!! So don't be afraid to ask about anything.

I thought that I knew all there was to know about this stuff and was getting bored enough to sell out and look for another hobby. Then I stumbled into this bunch, poof I'm a novice!!

Also be careful about accepting too much stuff,,,, It really will start to work on you. These guys are really the most generous bunch you could run into, and I believe I have done some kind of business with almost all of them. (Should have had AJ and Tim sign their work!) Just try to keep up with them,,, it can't be done.

OH ya and if I have forgotten to say it loud enough or often enough,,,,, thanks again to all of you!

If you want to wander around the candy store, take a look at one of the many pages that are talked about here.

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/

Good luck and hope to see you often,
MR Flyer57
Old 10-19-2004, 08:49 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Jetts, I've recently been trying to get my .020 powered delta flown. Bad weather or leaving town has kept me from flying it. If there's good weather tomorrow... or should I say light to no wind!
If that's right up your alley, I can size it to fit your specs or send it the way it is. No matter what you build, look into litespan. It's sold under several different names. Even tower has it as Coverite Microlite.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2156435/mpage_1/key_peewee%2Cdelta/tm.htm]Pee Wee Delta Thread (click here)[/link]
Old 10-19-2004, 08:56 AM
jettstarblue

One more....what size is the prop screw? I seem to have lost mine.

Haven't fired it up yet.
I think I'll call myself advanced intermediate, and so I'll call myself a beginner at the .020 sized stuff.[8D] Thinking of making a nice little depron/fanfold delta for my first one, I'm very delta-oriented-the last one I built was a 88" .52 FS 4.5 lb. own design. Think 4 stroke parky......
Old 10-19-2004, 11:37 PM
xanaphyst

Did you just say DELTA ??? I think I like you already !!!![sm=thumbup.gif]

xanaphyst
Old 10-20-2004, 07:03 AM
jettstarblue

Well, here's a photo of my 88" "span" delta, 4.5 lbs. (R.I.P.)

I was gonna do a little tiny version of it, 4 oz. maybe?

Now about that prop screw, 2-56? 4-40?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88685.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	184646  
Old 10-20-2004, 07:47 AM
xanaphyst

I don't have any 020's so I really have no idea...sorry...PTUlmer has a 020 delta going right now...he might know....As you can tell
my delta had a little mishap also...But I have 2 more almost ready and a sweet little delta from PTUlmer that I'm still
working on....How thick was the foam on your delta and what engine ??

xanaphyst
Old 10-20-2004, 07:59 AM
jettstarblue

I made that out of "Super Tuff-R" 1/2" I believe, and a little fiberglass tape. (Lowe's-my hobbyshop!) A little brittle, but if handled right, it needs no internal structure. (other than a tyvek/foam/tyvek "spar". The "Super Tuff-R" has a skin on it, the "regular" Tuff-R doesn't.
I put it together in a couple of hours. Real inexpensive.

It had a full airfoil. I build a lot of stuff with fanfold too, both pink and blue- both are a little different and have their advantages. Probably what I'll do the little delta in.
I could have made it lighter, but I used a 3" PVC drainpipe for the "fuse".

.52 Magnum FS for power, Hitec 4 channel, with an electronic mixer. (E-Flite)
Old 10-20-2004, 09:39 AM
ptulmer

That sounds pretty cool. A foamie peewee delta! I wonder how much it'll weigh by itself. Mine has a 24" span and is too big for breezy flying. I was thinking about making a 16" and a 20" to play with. If you want speed the 16" span should be alright. Mine are made out of 3/16" thick balsa. Makes for an airframe that won't hardly register on the postal scale I use. I made one mistake... painting it with rustoleum. That stuff is HEAVY! Litespan will definitely be used next time. If your using foam, you will definitely be going into new territory and a dedicated thread w/pics is necessary.(or we will track you down[>:])
Old 10-20-2004, 11:15 AM
ajcoholic

3-48
Old 10-20-2004, 11:45 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

jettstarblue,

It's 3-48. Do you need one I have a bunch of them. I don't know how easy they are to find.

Later,
Tim
Old 10-20-2004, 12:49 PM
xanaphyst

depron mini delta....mix in a thin carbon shaft...I'm thinking VA on pipe....I think this guy is on to something !! I don't know a
single thing about depron and this would be a good start..

xanaphyst
Old 10-20-2004, 12:50 PM
ptulmer

I was wondering when one of our guru's would speak up! Dubro makes a 3-48 screw and locknut set. Looks like the head is large, but that's what grinders are for. $0.95 on Tower. Gotta go to Home Depot later so I'll see if they carry spares.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:57 PM
jettstarblue

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the offer Tim. I'll PM you with my address, and guard it with my life 'til I order a couple from Tower!

Depron is a hard(ish) foam, a little stiffer, and heavier than fan fold. I generally use Blucore, or pink fanfold, and "reinforce it" with either US postal service tyvek envelope material or fiberglas strand tape.

I'll be on this like a hobo on a ham sandwich....well shortly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.